Author Topic: Laptop/Camping Backpack  (Read 4677 times)

Offline dustyz

• Prepper
Laptop/Camping Backpack
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »
I need some recommendations.

I need a backpack I can use for camping, and it needs a good safe laptop compartment. I'm not picky on the comfortability really, because I don't plan to be hiking for miles at a time at this point, but I am picky on the size. I love the look and versatility of a medium ALICE pack, but I think that's a little overkill in size & the lack of laptop spot hurts it. If the Molle II packs I've seen had a laptop spot, I'd probably go that route. I guess I could always add some internal straps to either of those?

I'm trying to keep it under $100... but would be super happy with something under $75. That's why the ALICE pack is so appealing.

Thanks in advance!

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
Re: Laptop/Camping Backpack
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »
You could put your laptop in a Neoprene sleeve then use whatever backpack you want.

Offline IvanK

• Prepper
  • Don't JUST survive.
    • The Low Cost Bug Out Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »
You might consider looking at some discontinued types. I got a High Sierra pack with a raincover at Marshall's for $15, when the original price was $110. Using it as my 72-hour kit with no complaints so far. Comfortable and pretty rugged, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, there's probably a reason it's discontinued... But for 15 bucks, I'm not complaining  ;D

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Now that's a deal!

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
This is the updated version of the Targus one I bought back in 2006.  It was $100 back then and now it's $49 at Amazon.  It's a very big bag, but since I'm 6'2" 350lbs I can handle it with no problems.

It's held up great with good padding and nice shoulder straps.  Only had 2 issues: 1. The zipper on the smallest gray pouch busted last year. 2. The fabric between two of the larger pouches is a very thin silk-like material that can be torn if you put stuff with sharp edges in the pack.  I've taken it on countless camping trips, conventions, daily school use, etc.

Good luck with your search!

Offline Metalist

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
What's wrong with the ALICE?

I use a modified ALICE for many of my trips.  It has a sleeve inside against your back that will take a padded laptop case.

I use the ALICE frame with MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt.

Offline exile27

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:05 PM »
I was looking for something very similar to what you're looking for, to use as my GHB.  I ended up buying an Outdoor Products bag from REI.  It seemed perfect for my needs: decent size, tons of pockets and organization, and a dedicated laptop sleeve.  It was great for about a month, then literally started to disintegrate.  Lucky for me, I was able to return it to REI and exchange it for a Camelback "D-2 Fit" pack.  The camelback doesn't have a laptop sleeve, but the quality is vastly superior to the Outdoor Products pack.

Bottom line, DO NOT buy an Outdoor Products pack!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
I have an older Targus, I use it as a spare parts and gear bag for computer work.  (Lots of cables, connectors, tools, terminators and every kind of computer connecting cable known to man LOL).  Its really good, but when loaded heavy, it tends to sag, no rigid inner support.  Granted this one is from 2001 or 2002 and it is probably severely overloaded.  Its a great bag though, with lots of good separations to keep gear organized and great straps.