Author Topic: Insanity DVD's  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
Insanity DVD's
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Anyone tried this workout?  My wife and I are looking to buy the dvd's and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on them.  We're in pretty good shape but looking to take it to the next level without a gym membership and all that hassle.  Any information is appreciated!

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
Re: Insanity DVD's
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »
I've done P90X twice now and I have the Insanity DVDs (both by the same company).  I love P90X.  It's addictive.  Insanity looks fun and tiring at the same time.  It's for real.  If you stick with the prescribed diet, you will get the results they advertise.  If you are growing a garden large enough to provide your own produce and don't eat too much in the way of processed foods you will have no problems staying with the diet.

The Insanity workouts are intense.  They are about 30-35 minutes during the first month and 40-45 minutes the second month.

What I do now is a P90X/Insanity hybrid.  I use 1 Insanity workout each week as one of the P90X cardio workouts.

Go for it.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
Ted,

Thanks for the info.  The dvd's have been ordered through a friend who's a beach body coach/vendor.  I can't wait as we're doing the Tough Mudder on 5/7.  www.toughmudder.com

Going to be awesome.

Offline Choch

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
I have done a full Insanity Rotation and a full P90X rotation. I can honestly tell you, buy P90x, worth it's weight in gold.

Insanity is truely insane, and should only be attempted after you have completed P90X or if you compete in triatholons. If you are even in average shape, you won't complete it. The first time you'll be watching the bottom of the screen, counting down the minutes, and then Shaun T will say "Alright now that we're warmed up". You won't believe that was just the warm up, and you will probably cry for a while. After day 1 you will need a day off, possibly 2.

P90X on the other hand, is great for beginners and experts alike, and you will want to come back and do it the next day, and the day after, and the day after.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
We're in the recovery week of Insanity.  Man is it hard.  But I've lost some weight (not as much as I thought) BUT I've also dropped an entire pant size, I feel great, and I'm looking forward to the Tough Mudder now instead of dreading it.  I'm really going to buckle down this next 4 weeks of Insanity so I can get my shirt.

Offline Clyde

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
I have a friend who has done Insanity and he says its crazy!  I have been thinking about doing the Insanity workout for a while.  I have done p90x and love it!  I just need to work on my eating.  SO important to eat well.  It may help if I got my sweet tooth pulled. ;)

Online Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »
Bad ass workouts.  I am not doing the full program.  My battle buddy and I are using some Insanity, some P90x and regular old running and interval work.

Sean T. is a machine.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
P90X 2 is being released (I think) next month, September.
 http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x2-workout-the-next-p90x.do

What I like about P90X is the scheduled back-off week every 4th week. I think that's a good idea. I began bodybuilding when I was 19 (I'm now 54). The biggest problem I always had was getting myself over trained (aka accumulated fatigue).

Quick history: At the time I started I ran across Franco' Columbu's "Winning Bodybuilding" book and took to doing his split 6-day routine. I guess that works if you're on steroids. Nobody even heard of them in those days. I got a low back injury and had to quite. When I got back into lifting Mike Mentzer was selling his High Intensity stuff. Where I was working out 2 hours 6 days a week he only trained 40 minutes 4 days a week. So I bought his training program and it made some sense, esp. the part on nutrition/protein requirements. I got sold on the H.I.T approach to building muscle.

The most muscle weight gain I ever made was with a friend who owned a gym. As training partners, we both did Ellington Darden Ph.D.'s High Intensity Bodybuilding program. This is the newer version of the book we used: http://www.amazon.com/New-High-Intensity-Training-Muscle-Building/dp/1594860009 Basically, it's a full body workout 3 days per week for about 40-45 minutes using heavy weights to failure with forced reps.    The first two weeks we did this workout I weighed myself and my body weight had gone from 202lbs to 206lbs. At the moment I didn't think much of the difference (maybe I had a big meal). Then my friend asked, "Are you gaining weight?" I said, "If your scale is right I'm up 4lbs." He had gained 6lbs. Neither one of us ever used steroids or anything like that.

That's kind of how it went as the weeks went by. At the end of 6 weeks I was up 14-16lbs. All my lift weights went up weekly. Even though I was only doing 3 total sets of bench a week (one set per workout) it was the first time I got over a 300lb bench press (all time best was 365).

Problem: even on only 3-days per week by the end of 6 weeks we had too much accumulated fatigue and had to back way from this workout. We drifted away from it. I've learned to identify accumulated fatigue more by evaluating my attitude to going into the gym to do a routine. IOW if I have to force myself into the gym then it's past time back off and let my body recover.  If we had scheduled routine breaks every 3rd week we might have been able to stick with it longer. 

If I had it all to do over (and it's what I tell my boy scouts doing the Personal Fitness badge) I would follow a P90X approach. The workout is more focused towards muscle stamina and athleticism then bulk. IMO its a better approach for a survivalist anticipating backpack to a BOL. You could still add weights into the P90X program by adding a bodybuilding/power lifting phase(s)  for 3 weeks at a time with periodic breaks. Or you could add distance running as yet another phase(s) if you want to up the aerobic conditioning, again with periodic breaks. If you need more flexibility do phases with more yoga/stretching. Insanity can be used as a phase(s) too.

I have another friend (distance runner) who is doing Insanity with his wife and they like it (they haven't done P90x). I still like incorporating weights (esp. chin ups) so for now I'm sticking to P90X. The only thing I know about Insanity, however, is from the infomercials. I might ask my friend if he'll loan me his dvds if once they finish their 60 day cycle.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Bad ass workouts.  I am not doing the full program.  My battle buddy and I are using some Insanity, some P90x and regular old running and interval work.

Sean T. is a machine.

Sean T. IS a machine.  My wife and I joined a Muay Thai gym in July, so we do that 4-5 times a week for 45 mins. a class.  I still from time to time will pop in an Insanity before class.  But I think this winter/spring I may have to do another rotation in addition to Muay Thai just to ready myself for coming challenges.

Noah

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Insanity is a ridiculous workout.  The instructor does not do all the exercises and you can see the participants walk off screen in the background.  The camera goes from person to person but no one does the complete workout.  P90X is much more realistic.  Insanity is just straight cardio with no real rhyme or reason.

Online Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »
Insanity is a ridiculous workout.  The instructor does not do all the exercises and you can see the participants walk off screen in the background.  The camera goes from person to person but no one does the complete workout.  P90X is much more realistic.  Insanity is just straight cardio with no real rhyme or reason.
Perhaps, as I said, my battle and I do P90x strength workouts, do our own running workouts and use the Insanity for additional cardio.  It does burn the energy, which is the point for us.  It doesnt need to be reasonable if you dont plan to do the scheduled regime religiously. 

I would also say that Sean T.  does a lot more of the workout than Tony Horton generally does.