Author Topic: Silver rounds and Coins, best place to buy?  (Read 8276 times)

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
Silver rounds and Coins, best place to buy?
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has a good link to share for the best place to buy .999 silver rounds or coins,

The issue is, some places want $12.00 for shipping one coin, and as I (and I am sure others) can only afford to buy 2-3 at a time, that get's to expensive.
E-bay has a few with free shipping, but it is an un-reputable place to buy.

I have found this place with free shipping, http://www.straightsilver.com/

anyone know a reputable place with good prices and cheap shipping?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Silver rounds and Coins, best place to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
Well, to me, the very best place is your local, reputable coin dealer.

As far as mail order, I have seen posts from a lot of folks who like http://www.apmex.com/

I have never used them. I do all of my purchases face to face with a local shop.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I checked there shipping is $12.95,

I live in a small town so no local coin shops, I guess my best shot would be going to Little Rock to find a store.

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »
I did a quick search on yellowpages.com and came across this:

http://www.yellowpages.com/little-rock-ar/mip/the-coin-stamp-shop-3832875?lid=3832875

It would be the one I would look at first, knowing no more about Little Rock than I do.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I dont get to Little Rock often, but I'll check it out when I do.

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
If you are looking rounds or art bars have you checked out the site sponsor http://www.silverandgoldshop.com/Page/FAQ.aspx
They don't carry government produced silver like silver eagles or silver maples

Their shipping is
1 - 2 pcs: $11.00     9 - 13 pcs: $13.50     21 -25 pcs: $15.50     36-39 pcs: $17.00
3 - 6 pcs: $12.50    14 - 15 pcs: $14.50    26 - 30 pcs: $16.00    40-45 pcs: $19.00
7 - 8 pcs: $13.00    16 - 20 pcs: $14.75    31 - 35 pcs: $16.50    45-50 pcs: Must Use Registered Mail

I live outside of USA so I can't personally vouch for them, but Jack has nothing but good to report.
The only problems I had buying PMs on ebay was when I took a chance on a seller in Israel, all American and Canadian dealers with even a small amount of feedback delivered on time and as described.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I have been buying from E-bay and so far so good, I just WON 3 American eagle (2011) coins for 37.50 a piece with free shipping. I buy from E-bay because if you count in shipping I cant find a better place to get a deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200580968313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Go to this site.
http://goldismoney2.com/forum.php
In the forum Gold Silver-Precious Metals there is a selection called PM Dealer Feedback. In this section you will find a good selection of very popular dealers with the comments of individuals who have purchased precious metals from them.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
$37.50 with no shipping charge or credit card nick is a good buy.

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
$37.50 with no shipping charge or credit card nick is a good buy.
Absolutely.

There is no doubt, good deals, good service, reasonalbe shipping and all that is out there.

Another small advantage to face to face. When I purchase from my local guy, the name that goes onto the recent is CASH and he is homeless (no address.) There is no paper trail connecting me to the transaction whatsoever.

Of course, our overlords have tried to change that starting 01/01/12. Thankfully, the Senate passed the bill that will repeal this and H.R. 4 has been introduced to do the same, but I regress.

The point is, as previous alluded to, there is no record with my name on it for any of the transactions I have done with my local coin store.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »
well, I made it to Little Rock today, nothing good came of it, I found 2 coin shops,

the 1st is said to the biggest dealer in the tri-state area, he works out of an old bank, anyways he sells american eagles for 4 dollars over spot +TAX!
and he sells other stuff like sunshine mint etc. for 2 dollars over spot plus tax.

the second shop had nothing to offer he only deals to "coin collectors" he said his clientele are people looking for a certain year coin from a certain mint. etc.
that has good collector value, he doesnt keep regular common silver coins,

Offline geoffreys7

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
Excaliber, I had the same experience here in the northeast last month.  One dealer did coins and stamps for collectors and one was a "We buy & sell gold" type place. They were more expensive than most on here have paid and I would have had to pay 8.75% sales tax.  I have placed two orders through the net at places listed here, one has already delivered, very happy, the other one I just ordered from and coins are on the way. I think mail order is the way to go.

Offline climberaxe

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
You might consider pawn shops as well. There is one in Columbia, SC that I visit everytime I'm downtown on business. They maintain a display case about 6' long to coin. Sometimes I get junk silver near spot (got three pre-64 quarters a few weeks back for $5ea, putting them UNDER spot! Also ask the shopkeeper about silver. The place in Columbia sometimes has bullion pieces in the safe.

I frequent another pawn shop up near Charlotte, NC when I'm up there. They only have a small spinner tabletop display, but sometimes they don't update their coin prices for a while and some bargains can be found.

Try also Craigslist. I got some Las Vegas Silverstrike rounds about 3% over spot for the .999 silver portions.  Those can go pretty high on EBay if you have a limited edition. I've also seen Craigslist add for large lots of silver for sale as people far on hard times and need to liquidate their silver.   
...just trying to get it done.

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
well, I made it to Little Rock today, nothing good came of it...
That is very disappointing.

If your are ever going to be in the DFW area, PM me and I will put you onto the best little coin shop in Texas.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
That is very disappointing.

If your are ever going to be in the DFW area, PM me and I will put you onto the best little coin shop in Texas.

Thanks for the offer!
 Being in the Army, I was training in Florida in November, Missouri in January, headed to California in May,,, so ya never know, 

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
Well, to me, the very best place is your local, reputable coin dealer.

As far as mail order, I have seen posts from a lot of folks who like http://www.apmex.com/

I have never used them. I do all of my purchases face to face with a local shop.

A buddy of mine at work uses APMEX and I have seen his orders. Quality stuff, very well packaged, and quick shipping.
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
pawn shops are the way to go... just called my local one... pre 64 quarters are $6.25... spot for them is like $6.09 right now so thats a pretty decent deal.

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
pawn shops are the way to go... just called my local one... pre 64 quarters are $6.25... spot for them is like $6.09 right now so thats a pretty decent deal.

Yes! I also went to a local Gold/Silver/Coin shop in my area and they have boxes full of Silver Dollars (behind the counter, had to ask for them) of all years and grades for just above the spot pricing.
US Army 87'-90'
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
I have never seen junk silver displayed at a coin shop. You always have to ask what they have. The display cases are for the high dollar stuff.  ;)

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
I have never seen junk silver displayed at a coin shop. You always have to ask what they have. The display cases are for the high dollar stuff.  ;)

Yes, I should have specified that better  ;)  I meant junk silver.
US Army 87'-90'
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
just bought some more silver today from a local pawn shop. .03% over spot.

Offline Duckman

• Prepper
  • Strictly motivated by rage!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
So, it looks like popping into the pawn shops is a good way to go then? What are the odds of getting scammed at a Pawn Shop, as far a counterfeits go? I'm kind of new to the silver thing, so any advice is appreciated. I'm in NH, and there are a lot of "Cash for Gold" and regular Pawn Shops here. I guess just knowing what spot is that day could pay off, right?
Quality of life is a paycheck in itself.

Offline wraithe

• Survivor
  • Retired Navy nuke Chief
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
I screwed up last night, was looking for Army silver rounds on Provident Medals (my son in law is ex-Army, the only thing wrong with him, I'm retired Navy). Provident is out of the Army one ounce silver rounds right now, so I looked on eBay and sure enough, there was a Army silver round for only 31 bucks! Wound up having to bid $32 to get it (with free shipping), then I realized that it was only 1/2 troy ounce, not the one ounce round that Provident sells for about $32. Duh, on me. Guess the moral of the story is caveat emptor, let the buyer beware, check all the details before bidding, even if the clock is down to 14 minutes left.

Herb
Knows a whole lot of things, just most of those things aren't very useful. I'll talk your ears off about airplanes, electronics, electricity, nuclear power, computers and engines of all kinds.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
So, it looks like popping into the pawn shops is a good way to go then? What are the odds of getting scammed at a Pawn Shop, as far a counterfeits go? I'm kind of new to the silver thing, so any advice is appreciated. I'm in NH, and there are a lot of "Cash for Gold" and regular Pawn Shops here. I guess just knowing what spot is that day could pay off, right?

Keep track of "spot" on Kitco. They have an App for the iPhone. In my area the pawn shops sell $3 over spot on silver. If you only small quantities of Silver Eagles or Maple Leaves this is an "ok" deal. However, if puchasing tubes of 20-1 oz./tube, keep shopping.

If you are willing to purchanse any silver round and it doesn't need to be in a government currency style like Eagles, Maple Leaves, etc..., check out the TSPmint. TSP-MSB members can purchase for approx. $2 over spot.
https://www.tspmint.com/

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline BriGy86

• Survivor
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »
I've purchased 90% silver from Silvertowne.  They have various deals on free shipping.  JMBullion charges 8.95 due to insurance and costs go up for using a CC.

90% pre 64 (5, 10 and 20$ face value) free shipping
http://www.silvertowne.com/p-11656-90-percent-silver-5-face-value.aspx

Maple leafs freeshipping
http://www.silvertowne.com/p-21786-2013-canada-silver-maple-leaf-1oz-bu.aspx

Generic bars free shipping
http://www.silvertowne.com/p-11650-silvertowne-trademark-1oz-999-silver-bar.aspx

JM is nice due to the discount due to MSB at times, and Silvertowne is nice due to the variety and free shipping on some items.

I emailed JM about getting 5, 10, and 20 90% face value items like silvertowne and even gave them a link.  Looks like they are working on it, I've seen 10$ face value coinage but it's gone now, probably out of stock.

As for local coin dealers. I've dealt with 2 around me, and the prices don't seem to be much better, and they're not all that nice to deal with.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
A buddy of mine at work uses APMEX and I have seen his orders. Quality stuff, very well packaged, and quick shipping.

I will also recommend APMEX. I went to their website at 4:00 p.m. eastern time on a Friday and placed my order. I called my bank for a wire transfer. By 5:00 p.m. APMEX confirmed my order and receipt of funds.

I later received the FedEx info. Arrived the following Wednesday.

I ordered 5 tubes of 20 American Eagles. All in mint packing. Boxes were heavy duty and anonymous. Coworkers asked what it was. I said batteries.

The price was a stated on the website with one additional shipping/insurance charge.

I hit several websites such as Goldline, Provident, and others recommended in the various threads here on the forum. APMEX was just sort of the last one I went to.

What sealed the deal for me was that it allowed me to place the order on-line. It seemed that others wanted you to call and talk to a representative, etc.

There may be some places that cost less but it seems the costs varied by dollars at most on a $3,500 or so transaction. I have no intention of trading for gain. If it ever comes to actually needing the value of the coins, then a few dollars here or there a minor considerations at that point.
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
 - Ronald Reagan

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
With free shipping, Silvertowne is a better deal than even my local shops.

Offline bryanyoung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »
JM isn't bad pricewise, but I wish they took an electronic check like tspmint.com

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
JM isn't bad pricewise, but I wish they took an electronic check like tspmint.com
I've been very happy with my automatic purchases through JM Bullion.  But yes, electronic check would make it even better.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
With free shipping, Silvertowne is a better deal than even my local shops.

SilverTowne.  The best price I have found for generic rounds and junk silver when buying in small quantities (the only quantities my budget allows).  Better than APMEX every time I've checked. I recently bought a single one oz silver bar from them for $2.69 above spot with free shipping. I've had good experiences with them.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien

Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.