Author Topic: Helio Gracie passes.  (Read 4461 times)

Debo

Helio Gracie passes.
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »
http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/13149/2009-01-29.html

Interviewed by GRACIEMAG in 2005, the brilliant professor responded to Raphael Nogueira’s question, “Are you afraid to die?”

“Death? [Short chuckle from Master Helio]. Why be afraid of death? I need nothing, have nothing, want nothing. I think it’s silly someone should be afraid to die. They should be afraid to be born. As I’ve already said to my kids, when I die I want there to be a party. No booze, no debauchery. But I want a party with music, food."

95 years of full life.  Rest in peace.

D.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Helio Gracie passes.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
I the opportunity to visit with Mr. Gracie while I was helping a friend fight at UFC 5. He had a very kind and gentle manor about him, but you could see the warrior in his eyes.  He was a small and lean man, but I was stuck by the size of his hands...the were HUGE for a man of his height.  With all self inflated BS martial arts crap out there, it was nice to meet a true Grandmaster that actually developed a system that changed the world of the martial sciences.  I remember smiling while I was visiting with him because it was like meeting Yoda. May he rest in piece.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »
I am a better martial artist and person because of the work Master Helio did. 

R.I.P. Master Helio. 

bigheadt

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
I am a better martial artist and person because of the work Master Helio did. 

R.I.P. Master Helio. 

Without Helio there would be no BJJ or MMA here. Sadly some of these new"Tapout" ufc fans have no idea who he was.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »
nice photos Tommy

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
Thanks.  I use Google image search.  It's the fastest I've found.

On a sidenote, Last night I was thinking about how much Master Helio's open challenge revolutionized martial arts.  If he and his brother had not issued The Gracie Challenge, we might still be suffering the plethora of fat chop-sockey grandmasters in every strip mall ripping people off that existed when I was young.   Things are much better these days, thanks to Master Helio.  We all benefit.