Author Topic: Looking for a good reliable wind up alarm clock  (Read 6618 times)

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
Looking for a good reliable wind up alarm clock
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
I'm looking for a good wind up alarm clock I can use for camping and for prepping equipment.

Would prefer Made in the USA, but if that is not possible as long as it is not made in China or sold at Chi-Mart i would take a look at it.

Anyone have any experience with a good quality wind up clock?

thanks

wired1979
IAShooters

Come Join the Shooting Community at WWW.IASHOOTERS.ORG

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Looking for a good reliable wind up alarm clock
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
Try Lehmans none electric cat
dollar store or doller days you get about 9 months out of them or its just me rough on them.
china junk.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Try looking for a Westclox Big Ben wind up. The Company was bought out a few years ago but they still use the name on clocks. If you have a good watch repair shop near you they usually sell better clocks too

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »
I was just going to mention a Big Ben. My dad gave me one to use as a teen because I was a sound sleeper.
It worked very well (back then). Only downside was the ticking was so loud I used to bury it in my dresser.
Psalm 109:8

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
I was just going to mention a Big Ben. My dad gave me one to use as a teen because I was a sound sleeper.
It worked very well (back then). Only downside was the ticking was so loud I used to bury it in my dresser.

Big Ben all the way. And yes they are loud, and extremely durable. They need to be..... ;)
Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road.    Voltaire

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
any idea where to find a big ben windup?  preferable not made in china?

thanks
IAShooters

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
I have seen "big ben" clocks at truck stops but don't know if they are windup.
I would like a windup clock myself, next time I am at a truck stop I will investigate.
"For the world is hollow... and I have touched the sky!"

"Whenever we take away the liberties of those whom we hate we are opening the way to loss of liberty for those we love."
-Wendell L. Wilkie-
(1892-1944)

Offline IAShooters

• Prepper
    • IA Shooters
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
I have seen "big ben" clocks at truck stops but don't know if they are windup.
I would like a windup clock myself, next time I am at a truck stop I will investigate.

let me know what you find out.

thanks
IAShooters

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
The big bens are wind up. They have one winder for the alarm, and another for the time.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
I had a big ben clock when I was a kid. Wish I still had it. Built very well and that thing didnt play when it went off either.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Zuladad

• Prepper
  • Do not be deceived
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Wired,
I recently completed a vigorous and through search for an American made wind up clock.  I wanted one, too.  Bottom line, (and found on this forum from an '09 thread) is that there are no more American made wind ups!  I was really disappointed.  If anyone can fire back that I'm wrong, I'm open to be straightened out, and to get hardcore info re where to obtain one of these ancient devices.  If you keep looking, you'll probably find, as I did, that the foreign wind ups suck; they don't keep good time and they go to clock heaven within a year.  I had to go to bed for two days when I got this dose of reality.

Ah, the memories: I loved watching my grandfather wind up his Big Ben (made in America) every night before going to bed.  From the next bedroom, I loved listening to the huge, soothing tick of that baby (actually a Big), and float off to sleep.  But then I also so miss the old steam locomotive whistle as it roared passed the house at night.  Durn fire but I miss those days and would go back in a heart beat.  I'm just lost with all these handheld computer engine thingies that have apps and cameras and all sorts of do-dahs I don't know anything about.  And I'm not that old, . . . yet, . . . I don't think.  Dinosaurs, American made wind up alarm clocks, honor . . . all gone.  I'm ready to leave.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
Now THAT was amusing. had to give you a +1 for that little rant, Zula. ;D

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
Garage / Estate Close Outs
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »
I see them from time to time on garage sales and grandma's estate sale ....... anywhere from a $1 to $20 depending on who's price tagging .......
Illini Warrior

Offline Cannon

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
I've been looking at a Sternreiter Double-Bell recently.  I figured if I can't go American, then some European hardware is acceptable.

It's a 30-hour wind-up with brass and steel internals (See this link).  I'm pretty sure it can also wake the dead!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
 Watch thrift stores like Goodwill. I've managed to pick up 3 Big Ben clocks, all at the Goodwill 1/2 mile away, and haven't paid over $4 for any of them. I keep one in the bedroom, 1 in my basement prep area, and 1 tucked away in my camping gear. (though I've never really needed an alarm while camping)
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
We just got one of these:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Clocks__Radios_and_Batteries___Twin_Bell_Key_Wound_Alarm_Clocks___AlarmClocks#67815326781533

We like it so far. Nice, loud alarm and the tick-tock is quite. It is a Bulova brand, but it is make in China. We shall see how it holds up.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?