Author Topic: Tapatalk for Mobile Viewing  (Read 46264 times)

Offline ablaut

• Fledgling Prepper
Tapatalk for Mobile Viewing
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
I have the Tapatalk app on my iPhone. If you're unfamiliar with it, it basically just displays forum posts in mobile-friendly formatting. I see there is an Android version, too.

Has anyone considered making this forum Tapatalk compatible? It's just a forum plugin. I just installed it on my forum, which is also running SMF 1.1.11. With as many users as this site has, there got to be at least one other person who would enjoy this :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Tapatalk for Mobile Viewing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »
Has anyone considered making this forum Tapatalk compatible?

Thanks for the suggestion, ablaut -- I'm checking into it.

Offline survivalmz

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
I'll second the request for Tapatalk.
This was one of the first things I checked after joining.
It would be really great if the admins would consider adding this functionality to the forum.
Tapatalk really transforms the forum viewing experience on a mobile device. I have the iphone and ipad2 and the mobile versions of forums are OK, but honestly I belong to a lot of forums, but when I am out and only have my phone, I only go to forums that are on Tapatalk. It definitely has me spending more time on those forums interacting and posting and reading. the experience is much richer.
I think one view is that for a mobile device, that features need to be removed or dumbed down to make it more simple. The Tapatalk experience is just the opposite. It creates an optimized experience on the mobile device. WELL worth the $3 I spent. I actually like the experience better than the full destop browser for some things. In particular, the "latest unread" page has 3 sections: unread, all and "participated" which is a slick way to just see threads you are involved in.
it does work with Simple Machines Forums:
http://tapa.tk/forum/showthread.php?t=2577
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=358680.0

Anyway - great forum - would love to see this enhancement

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
Tapatalk is still on our "maybe" list, when we have time to install and test it.  Also, we're waiting for Tapatalk and SMF to jointly get their act together (e.g., the latest Tapatalk version for SMF was released 2 months ago but is still not on the official SMF modifications list).

Offline erdoc11

• Fledgling Prepper
  • I just joined and haven't figured this function out yet!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
+1 on Tapatalk. Admins don't be hesitant, I've put it on several of our companies forums running on SMF and it functions as advertised and has not caused a single problem. No increase in server load. Increase in membership was noted almost immediately. It's a great way to enter the huge mobile market/audience.

Offline redone451

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
+1 Tapatalk is great! I travel alot and it is by far the best way for me to keep up with my favorite forums.

Offline redone451

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
anything new on this front? would love to have acess to the forum through an app, whichever one it is.

Offline cincycityslicker

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
anything new on this front? would love to have acess to the forum through an app, whichever one it is.

Tapatalk would be awesome!! 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
Tapatalk is currently at version 3.0.0, released in July.  But the SMF site currently has only version 1.3.0, released in December of last year.  The newer versions are not SMF-approved modifications.  We have no idea what the problem is between the SMF programmers and Tapatalk, but TSP Forum cannot be a beta-test site, especially for software which integrates itself so deeply into the SMF code.

Sorry, we will not be installing Tapatalk any time soon.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
Tapatalk is currently at version 3.0.0, released in July.  But the SMF site currently has only version 1.3.0, released in December of last year.  The newer versions are not SMF-approved modifications.  We have no idea what the problem is between the SMF programmers and Tapatalk, but TSP Forum cannot be a beta-test site, especially for software which integrates itself so deeply into the SMF code.

Sorry, we will not be installing Tapatalk any time soon.

That's a bummer.

What if any similar apps are currently supported with SMF?  This is the only forum I regularly use which I have not found an iPhone supported app for.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
What if any similar apps are currently supported with SMF?  This is the only forum I regularly use which I have not found an iPhone supported app for.

I can't find much of anything. :(  SMF development had a big slowdown over the last few years.  Sorta seems like it was all they could do to get version 2 finished, and they pretty much missed the huge increase in smartphone use for internet access.  But I'm just guessing.

(Issues like this make me wonder whether it would be desirable and feasible to switch to a different forum software entirely.  This is a pretty terrifying prospect, though.  Even our recent attempted update from SMF 2.0 RC5 to 2.0 Final caused a brief disaster.  In the short run, we're keeping things pretty much the way they are, because they're working.  In the long run, who knows?  But I'll keep my eye open for improvements that would help our mobile users.)

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
Just bringing this back up so you mods know there's still interest. I do everything from my iPhone or iPad, never one of those relics. The apps make adding photos to post possible. Hope you guys can sort it out.

Offline Cyremann

• Prepper
Tapatalk
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
Sorry if this has been requested before, a search returned 0 results.

I find that the Tapatalk app makes it much easier to use forums from my phone. It appears to be simple to install for SMF.
Is there any chance we could get this activated?

SMF Tapatalk Mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2504

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
There have been two issues holding us back on Tapatalk.  This was one:

...The newer versions are not SMF-approved modifications.  We have no idea what the problem is between the SMF programmers and Tapatalk, but TSP Forum cannot be a beta-test site, especially for software which integrates itself so deeply into the SMF code. ...

Looks like they've finally gotten their act together, and the current version of Tapatalk is SMF-approved.  So that problem is solved.

The remaining issue is admin manpower.  Our current installation of SMF has many modifications plus some homemade patches.  We need to update to the latest version of SMF, but last time we tried that, it pretty much destroyed the forum and we had to restore the old version.  So we don't want to add another modification to our current mess.

Tapatalk has moved up to our "maybe" list, but it's going to be a little bit longer before we're ready to give it a try.  Sorry about that.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
There have been two issues holding us back on Tapatalk.  This was one:

Looks like they've finally gotten their act together, and the current version of Tapatalk is SMF-approved.  So that problem is solved.

The remaining issue is admin manpower.  Our current installation of SMF has many modifications plus some homemade patches.  We need to update to the latest version of SMF, but last time we tried that, it pretty much destroyed the forum and we had to restore the old version.  So we don't want to add another modification to our current mess.

Tapatalk has moved up to our "maybe" list, but it's going to be a little bit longer before we're ready to give it a try.  Sorry about that.

Don't make me post links to DailyWTF about forking custom code :)

Offline romeojuliethotel

• Prepper
  • -. -.... .-. .--- ....
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »
Keeping the thread alive for implementing Tapatalk.  If you need a beta tester, just let me know.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Mr. Bill, I have a couple of development servers we could test on.  I just got the pro version (whatever it is called?) for the ipad.  It rocks!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
Mr. Bill, I have a couple of development servers we could test on.  I just got the pro version (whatever it is called?) for the ipad.  It rocks!

Thanks for the offer. :)  I think we've got enough server space available for testing -- just not enough time to do it yet.

Offline Jesse2004

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
I installed it on my own forum which is still in a test only mode (SMF 2.0).  I'm accessing my forum via the iPhone Tapatalk app and really like it.  So add me to the folks requesting this and willing to beta test etc....

Thanks,

Jesse

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
I'm all for a mobile solution to this forum as well. The Android browser is fine for reading posts, but I have stopped posting from the device because it is way too hard. It's very hard to correct mistakes and edit a post, even if my post is only a couple sentences long. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather see a functional forum than a broken one that works with mobile devices!

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
I'm happy to see so much interest, it gives me hope that this may actually happen. Go Mods go....  Thanks for all your hard work.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
Have we reached critical mass yet?

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
Have we reached critical mass yet?

No.

TW

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
tapatalk of any mobile view for this forum would be great!

I would then be a TSP junkie  :P

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
Just adding my vote for Tapatalk.  Loving the forum so far.

Offline bsteimel

• Prepper
  • Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!
    • Technology Consulting
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
+1 for tapatalk.  Just downloaded for a different forum and it is really nice. 

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
Would it be cheaper and easier to maintain if we just had a 'mobile view' option for this web forum?

Once again i will default to what ever the Mods/TechGuys want, because they would maintain it.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
We didn't forget about this.  Just, nobody has time to attack the project right now.  It's on our list, really, but I'm not sure when it will happen.

Offline Jesse2004

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
We didn't forget about this.  Just, nobody has time to attack the project right now.  It's on our list, really, but I'm not sure when it will happen.

Glad to hear it is still on the list.  For me, it would increase my participation in the forums - I'm spending more time away from my desk and Tapatalk makes it much easier for me to read / reply on my phone than the normal mobile browser view.

Jesse

Offline Hoosier

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
I'm new to the forum and the first thing i did was search on tapatalk for it, then searched here for a reference about it. Look forward to seeing it there as I'm on the road daily and usually check forums while waiting on my next appointment.
Thanks.