Author Topic: Listen Close Late At Night (Burgess Seed&Plant Co)  (Read 3529 times)

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
Listen Close Late At Night (Burgess Seed&Plant Co)
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
On a quiet night, if you listen really really carefully when all the other noises are gone, I think you can hear it.

It's that sucking sound.

Yes, it comes from the Burgess Seed & Plant Co., because they suck.

About seven years I order some tress from them. Yes they send little sticks, but yes the prices are lower than the bigger trees. The problem comes from incorrect orders. That first order I didn't get what I wanted, but the "extra" which I assumed was a replacement for the missing tree was acceptable. Except it wasn't what it was marked to be, and the rest didn't die until the first year was over so I couldn't get them replaced.

I guess I'm a slow learner because I decided to order from them again. The reason was to get a good number of trees for a lower cost, but the main thing was they had the varieties I wanted.

Today, my second order ever came in. Instead of the two hazelnut trees I ordered I get one hazelnut and I have a chestnut that I didn't order. Can the people there not read labels? To top it off both hazelnut and chestnut need at least two trees to pollinate and I only have one of each!

Or maybe I am lying to you, since the labels could be wrong like some were the last time seven years ago.

Come Monday morning I am tying up some phone lines.

BTW- Today is the new moon, so that sucking sound might just be extra loud tonight.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Listen Close Late At Night
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:19:18 AM »
GREAT

I spent 20 bucks with them but I knew it was rolling the dice to use them.  The prices are just so dang cheap. 

I tried to order things they couldn't mix up.  If they do anyway I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.  I also picked things that were self pollinating because I heard the same things you experienced from Dave's Garden Watchdog.

J

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »
This should be added to the Industry Reviews section.

Thanks for the info TexGuy!

Offline TexGuy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
GREAT

I spent 20 bucks with them but I knew it was rolling the dice to use them.  The prices are just so dang cheap. 

I tried to order things they couldn't mix up.  If they do anyway I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.  I also picked things that were self pollinating because I heard the same things you experienced from Dave's Garden Watchdog.

J

Oh wow! http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/233/ <--- is this the place?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
Man, it looks like that company knows how to disappoint and fail their customers on a regular basis.

100 positives
41 neutrals
234 negatives

Thanks for the link to the various company reviews, TexGuy. That's a valuable resource!

+1

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Oh wow! http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/233/ <--- is this the place?

That's it.  If half my order is right I'll be happy at those prices though.

J

Offline TexGuy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
Well if it helps any, what I did get looks like live trees in dormant state like they should be.

Today I planted two walnuts, one cherry, two apples, one pear, one hazelnut, and one chestnut.

Man, it looks like that company knows how to disappoint and fail their customers on a regular basis.

100 positives

Read those positives closely, a lot of them were just being generous.

I'm determined to get this right, even if I have to order another hazelnut and chestnut. But that would not make it positive for me, neither of those two do very good in my area anyway.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Listen Close Late At Night (Burgess Seed&Plant Co)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
Well I basically did this on a whim, an experiment to see what would happen.

I got my entire order and everything was right and all the plants looked healthy and viable with good root systems that were kept moist.

I got a russian mulberry, a bush cherry, two hazelnuts, a red lake currant and a horseradish root.

The cherry and the currant were already leafing out and were bright green. 

I'm not saying that everyone will have luck but I certainly did this time.  Now if freaking Burnt Ridge would only make right with me, I'd be happy.

J