Author Topic: pistol packing  (Read 4235 times)

Offline cr5545

• Fledgling Prepper
pistol packing
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
i am fluent with my shotguns, but i want to add a pistol to my cabinet... my primary use would be security on the hiking trails (increase in coyotes in my area). what would be a good choice for a small handgun?

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: pistol packing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:58:35 AM »
The wife and i took the NRA Basic Pistol class, I think it was 8 hours.  Its an introduction to the safety and function of both revolvers and semi-auto handguns.  It was finished by an opportunity to fire both.

I would suggest that as a starting spot.  See what style you feel better with and which may fit your specific need.  There isn't a one size fits all solution.

Offline fire65

• BANNED FOR BEING RUDE TO FELLOW MEMBERS
  • Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
If you have a good firing range around you should go shoot a few different models and see what feels good to you.

Offline Browning21

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:58:52 PM »
I have several hand guns that are in my collection.  I personally would recommend a 9mm.  Depending on what type of round you would carry for protection it will do the job with any coyote.  I have Winchester Ranger SXT in a 147 grn tip. I also have a 45 ACP and 357 Mag but they are both very heavy to carry depending on the holster I use.  I mainly carry the 357 when I am hunting, but sometimes I carry the 45.  Hope this helps. 

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
9mm is a good choice for caliber. Check some different models out to see how they fit. A 9mm is plenty ample for regular coyotes.  I personally carry a 1911 A1 in 45acp. Yes it is heavy but it has been a good friend and reliable for so many years that I'm uncomfortable with anything else.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
If your just worried about coyotes I'm pretty sure a .22 mag is plenty of gun.  I've got a Ruger Single Six stainless with a .22lr cylinder and a .22 wmr cylinder; six inch barrel.  This is a fun gun and holsters are available.  I would not discount anyone elses suggestions.  9mm, .357, and .45 acp are all great.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
Minimum 9mm. .40 or .45 would be good too.

1. S&W M&P series
2. Glock 23 or 19
3. Springfield XDm

Those are my top three reccos.

However, the pistol is the LEAST important part of the equation. Get professional training in how to use the pistol in a fight. Take several classes from several instructors.

Pistols are capable of doing good work. But only if you are.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:58:44 AM »
You said this was for trail security, so you'll need something comfortable to carry while hiking.  Can you open carry?  Will you be wearing a backpack (full frame or day pack) or a fanny pack?

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
The Coyotes I have seen here in Wyoming have made me nervous.  ;) I just picked up a stainless steel 44. magnum Super Blackhawk with fiber optic sights. I also have a custom Mernickle concealed holster to wear it in the field.

It is the heaviest handgun I have ever owned, but what fine piece it is. However, the sense of security of carrying Buffalo Bore +P, 340 grain flat nose bullets make the weight a fine compromise.

I am scouting in Grizzly country next month in the Bridger-Teton Forest and this will be my back-up from wolves, or bears.

Offline driftwood_ar

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
First, I tend to favor revolvers, particularly for the trail. Nothing against semi-automatics, it is just personal prefernce.

Since you specifically said that you are interested in a "small" handgun for the trail, consider the Smith & Wesson  snub nosed revolvers in 38 Special or 357 Magnum (or similar guns by another manufacturer such as Taurus or Charter Arms). These are not really suitable for hunting, but they are small, light, and easy to carry on a belt, in a pocket, or in a pack. If you are looking for something to hunt with and/or don't mind a larger gun you could go with a 357 magnum or 44 magnum with at least a 4 inch barrel.

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
To put my post in perspective, I carry a Sig 229 (in 40 cal) and a Glock 26 (9mm) daily; both are semi-auto.

For what you are talking about, either would do, but if you were looking for a single purpose tool for security while hiking from coyote, I'd go with a five shot, light weight 38 special revolver.  That would do for coyote and still be enough if you ever decided to use it for a personal defense weapon.  Additionally, most semi-autos require quite a bit more cleaning and maintenance than the revolvers.  If you are not currently a semi-auto owner and are not inclined to want to do periodic cleaning and maintenance, a revolver is perfect. 

Some of the other posters may disagree and their input may still be correct.  Listen to all and make the choice best suited to you. 

caveat:  If you are also worried about larger animals like bear, the 38 special is very under powered...