Author Topic: Looking for thoughts about Scout camping  (Read 15039 times)

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
Re: Looking for thoughts about Scout camping
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:21 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. It's great to hear from other Scouters, here is part 2.
I have a board member who wants to close the gate to the camping area and have everybody(Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts) hand carry all their equipment to the the campsite(100yrds to 500yrds). I have talked with local Scoutmasters & Cubmasters informally about this and they have said they would go camp somewhere else. Question is what would you do unload and pack in or go somewhere more conducive to your style of camping?

Ranger Dave

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
If that's all the farther they have to pack in, you can get a LOT of gear in a couple of trips that way.  (I just got back from a week at our local Camp and it was closer to a 1000 yards from the vehicle to the campsite and we just hand carried everything in 2 or 3 trips).  It was just like car camping but took 8 or 10 minutes rather than the 1 minute to run to the car.

In your example, I would not have any problem with it.  That's not very far,  people can carry double or triple their normal hiking load short distances like that than they could for a deeper woods experience.

What gear would they be taking that would be too heavy to carry a hundred yards, but not to heavy to carry 20 yards?

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
Some examples from Leaders I have talked with Patrol boxes, Tents(canvas wall tents), freestanding awnings. Most kids dont have packs so they are carrying tote boxes.

Offline Maus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
Some examples from Leaders I have talked with Patrol boxes, Tents(canvas wall tents), freestanding awnings. Most kids dont have packs so they are carrying tote boxes.

My son's troop uses rubbermaid type totes for their patrol boxes.  They used a hole saw to cut four holes near the handle sides of the tote, two on each side.  They then put poles through those holes, which gives extended handles for carrying.  You can put two large or four smaller scouts on a heavy patrol tote and they can carry it far easier and farther.

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
I'm a leader in a Boy Scout High Adventure Crew. We always go light weight and minimal the youth always have a blast.

Offline InsaneSquirrel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I am an eagle scout and have been to lots of BSA camps.  Some let you drive around all week some prohibit all Detroit steel.  The best compromise I have seen is they let you drive your gear in and then all vehicles must spend the week in the parking lot.  So if it is going to cost the camp revenue maybe a compromise like this may be the way to go.

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. It's great to hear from other Scouters, here is part 2.
I have a board member who wants to close the gate to the camping area and have everybody(Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts) hand carry all their equipment to the the campsite(100yrds to 500yrds). I have talked with local Scoutmasters & Cubmasters informally about this and they have said they would go camp somewhere else. Question is what would you do unload and pack in or go somewhere more conducive to your style of camping?

Ranger Dave

My son is a Webelos cub scout.   When we went on our first camping trip with our pack I had all my stuff packed in my backpack ready for an extended hike to the campsite only to discover everyone else came basically for "Car camping" as I would call it.  They had everything including the "Sink" (A decon tub to sterilize cooking utensils, etc.).   After having completed baloo training I realized why the cub scouts were camping this way...BSA policy!   In order to conform to all their rules we needed a permanent shelter to house all the scouts in case of severe weather, running water, established latrines, etc.    They were bringing dutch ovens, tables, food prep materials, at least a half dozen coolers to feed 50 campers for a weekend, 5-7 5gal containers for water, major 1st aid equipment, fire extinguishers, propane grills (Liquid fuels not allowed) etc., etc., but all required if you truely want to stick hard and fast to BSA rules for cub scout camping.   Making them carry all that equipment a few hundred yards really is a pain in the A$$, but it's not that they are being big wusses...they are just "cub" camping by the book.   Once in boyscouts I understand the BSA allows a lot more freedom from the cub requirements.