Author Topic: How can I identify foreign coins?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
How can I identify foreign coins?
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »
I have a small handful of old foreign coins passed down from my grandfather.  I want to pass these down to my boys with a story and some information about them to generate an interest in collecting.  That's how I got started.  But (I assume) he picked up many of these coins in foreign countries around WW2.  Many coins reflect the country's written language (not the Roman alphabet).  I can generally recognize Chinese, Japanese and Korean.  But some have other symbols that are "just Greek to me" (...moan).

Can anyone point me to an online reference that might help me identify these?  Most are 1940s and 50's era, but some do not have dates (written in Arabic numbers or Roman Numerals).

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: How can I identify foreign coins?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
If you can't find any info online, I've got some good catalogs -- I can look them up if you can send me some reasonably clear photos.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
Outside of asian currency, I have always just seached online for the markings on the coins and have been able to match pictures.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
Ask a local coin dealer or collector. Might be worth a small fee, or not. Maybe a club at a local school?  Even if they don't have all the answers, you might get enough to give you a starting point for Google or Wiki.