Author Topic: Yeast infections  (Read 5201 times)

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
Yeast infections
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, and don't play one on TV. I am not prescribing this for anyone, just relating my experience with it.

I don't often get yeast infections, but recently I had a six-week period of time where I had a recurrent one. I tried all the over-the-counter remedies, to no avail. I could not knock out the infection. It may also have been a bacterial vaginitis, which is why the anti-fungals didn't work. I was NOT going to go to the doctor only to have them put me on an expensive course of Diflucan. While surfing the Internet, I ran across boric acid as a yeast infection/vaginitis treatment. I picked up a bottle of boric acid powder and a nifty little device called The Capsule Machine ($15) at my health food store. Half an hour later I had made 24 capsules filled with approximately 600 mg of boric acid powder (the suggested dose), to be used as suppositories twice daily.

It worked. Within 3 days I had no more infection. For good measure, I also used a couple of probiotic capsules as suppositories toward the end, just to re-establish the proper flora.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Yeast infections
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »
Yours is the very first post that I have the honor of bestowing a +1 upon.

And here's why:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, and don't play one on TV. I am not prescribing this for anyone, just relating my experience with it.

I don't often get yeast infections, but recently I had a six-week period of time where I had a recurrent one. I tried all the over-the-counter remedies, to no avail. I could not knock out the infection. It may also have been a bacterial vaginitis, which is why the anti-fungals didn't work.

Admitting up front that you're not a health professional, and front-loading the whole post with as many disclaimers as possible is a very responsible way to go. Most of us here are laymen who are all attempting in one way or another --on any given thread-- to try and DIY in fields of knowledge that we have no formal training on. The very nature of this whole forum requires us to boldly go into fields of craft, skill, and expertise that we would have normally left to an expert if not for the urgency of learning to become suvivalists within a DIY context of operation. Prudence should be de rigor for everyone here. Thank you for your disclaimers.

And on other matters, I so totally want to check out that Capsule Machine thingy!

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:26 PM »
Actually you have hit on a product that was available commercially 30 something years ago (i am a REALLY old pharmacist). I am curious as to how you measured out your boric acid, this is where most layman would have trouble (600mg is a really small amount). Modern women are the major force behind all the 1 or 3 dose medicines out today (want it cured now, not take 2 weeks, which i totally understand).

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
phargolf, that's very interesting. I had no idea that it was an old cure. I would take it over the anti-fungals anytime, now that I know about it. It made me feel better almost immediately.

I am curious as to how you measured out your boric acid, this is where most layman would have trouble (600mg is a really small amount).

One of the sources I used said that this was the amount that fit nicely into a "00" capsule. The Capsule Machine that I mentioned provides a really easy way to fill 24 capsules at the same time with the same amount of product.

Please, tell me if I got it wrong, but that seemed to be the correct amount.

I've used boric acid to get rid of ants in the past, but it never occurred to me that it would work on yeast infections.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
I've always believed in using all "proven" remedies for a particular malady (no sorry i am not one who subscribes to the herbal revolution). Do not give up on the other medicines, they just didn't work in this case. I have no idea how much it takes to fill a 00 capsule, why not fill one and take it to a local pharmacy and have them weigh it on pharmaceutical scales (they may have to blow off the dust to use it if they have one ;D).

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
Do not give up on the other medicines, they just didn't work in this case.

Umm, if this ever happens again, I'm not likely to spend $100+ experimenting with various anti-fungals over a six-week period just because they are "proven" remedies. I'll take the cheap, effective fix, thanks.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
I've found some herbals work great, some don't. It's best not to buy into the hype but try them for yourself and see which ones work. I do know for instance that L-Lysine is the best thing in the world for treating and preventing cold sores.

PS go to a pharmacy that does it's own compounding for accuarate scales.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
Wise advice, Granny.

I love the pharmacist at our local compounding pharmacy. I jokingly refer to him as my local witch doctor. He makes up my thyroid replacement meds and my bioidentical hormones. We had a dog with Addison's disease and he even made up the dog's meds for us. Next time I am in there I plan to ask him about the boric acid. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows about it as a treatment for yeast infections, since phargolf did.

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
I've never tried boric acid, but I am a HUGE fan of acidophilus. I am naturally susceptible to getting bacteria out of wack, so every now and then a good healthy mega dose of acidophilus does wonders. I find if I'm eating plenty of cultured/fermented foods, I'm fine, but if I eat too many sugary/yeasty foods, it's two weeks of acidophilus pills, mega dosing of yogurt, and if it gets really bad, acidophilus suppositories.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
Umm, if this ever happens again, I'm not likely to spend $100+ experimenting with various anti-fungals over a six-week period just because they are "proven" remedies. I'll take the cheap, effective fix, thanks.
Sorry, i wasn't clear in my statement. What i meant was that even the boric acid may get to where it doesn't work, if that is the case,. retry the monistat or gynelotrimin (both are available generically and shouldn't cost over $10), they are still good medicines. Unfortunately i have seen a lot of cases where one or the other quits working for women, not because they are ineffective, but because they just didn't work this time.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:03:45 AM »
What i meant was that even the boric acid may get to where it doesn't work, if that is the case,. retry the monistat or gynelotrimin (both are available generically and shouldn't cost over $10), they are still good medicines.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Will keep that in mind. I know there are strains of yeast just like there are strains of bacteria.

I still plan to try the boric acid, first.