Author Topic: Any advice for a woman starting her own arsenal?  (Read 18981 times)

Offline bobkrack

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Any advice for a woman starting her own arsenal?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
Liftsboxes is making an offer that might be very hard to refuse.

.22 is NOT the greatest for defense, but it is prolly the very most versatile along with the shotgun - and the 20 gauge will do nearly anything the 12 gauge will.  Notice for reference, no one suggested the 10 gauge, that being likely with the same thought in mind.

Bob

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:08 AM »
Mindset is the first tool needed in the arsenal. However, since you are on TSP you are already on your way!

Hands down the best written firearms resource out there for female firearms owners and those women seeking information on the conceal carry lifestyle:
http://www.whitefeatherpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=19

A preview of what one can expect to find in the book is on the author's well regarded website:
http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

If you have not already, listen to Episode 620 with Jack's guest Frank Sharpe Jr. of Fortress Self Defense Consultants.   http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/frank-sharpe-on-armed-and-unarmed-self-defense

Frank and his group put on a very good women's firearms course for the beginning female shooter. There are special considerations when teaching women to shoot and Frank has studied under Vicki Farnam, author of several books designed for law enforcement instructors on how to teach women to shoot.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
I've trained alot of people over the years ........ everyone was only interested in self defense ....... no hunting interest ....... most important question to ask and get an honest answer ......  Are you ready to pull the trigger and take a life?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
I've trained alot of people over the years ........ everyone was only interested in self defense ....... no hunting interest ....... most important question to ask and get an honest answer ......  Are you ready to pull the trigger and take a life?

<sigh>

I've always found this to be both an asinine and ridiculous question.

First of all, while I realize that there are some people who might walk into a self-defensive shooting course with the idea that they'll either only shoot to wound or even (and yes, I've had someone actually say this) shoot the other person's gun out of their hand, the truth of the matter is that you won't know what you will, or can, do until you're in that situation.  Soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, law enforcement officers, armchair commandos, wannabe toughs and little old ladies have all answered that question at sometime in their training.

Sadly, many of them have turned out to be wrong.  People who say they could've shot another person in self-defense have hesitated.  Conversely, people who claim that they are the ultimate peacenik have been able to shoot, and kill, someone despite their protestations.

Over the years that I've been teaching, I've discovered that it's often better to explain the realities of a life-or-death situation and the choices a person has to make and why.  Be blunt, be brutal, but don't be sensational.  Let the student mull over the question in their head rather than allow the question to be presented as some sort of challenge or dare, which is how many will perceive such a question.

Until the real test happens, it's all just a guess.

The Professor

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
I like to refer people to a couple of introductory mindest resources:

Col. Jeff Cooper's series on mindset as well as his book The Principals of Personal Defense.

and Gavin DeBecker's book/audiobook The Gift of Fear. While I disagree with Debecker's stance on personal firearms I think his book is a good wake-up call to people who may be considering the need to toake self-defense seriously but aren't quite there yet.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
May I suggest some of the Youtube videos by nutnfancy.  The ones on the mindset you need for carrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8OK4WdoW0

He also reviews guns.  If you're interested in a gun, see if he's reviewed it.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
Everyone who owns or carries a firearm should be required to read "On Combat" by Col. Dave Grossman.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
I'm not certain I would place Grossman's books on the list for those just "beginning". I think they are better for those who have already begun the mindset journey rather than those just being introduced to it. They may be just fine for LE and those who have an/or are currently serving in the military. However, I believe they are too "in your face" and potentially a turnoff for the average women just beginning to start the situationally aware/daily carry stealth lifestyle.

This is my perspective as a woman, as one who has read Grossman's books (On Combat, On Killing, Terror at Beslan) and one who has attended his "BulletProof Mind" lecture.  Respectfully, YMMV.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
Well, you are fortunate in that you live in a very gun friendly state. You can carry a concealed firearm without needing a permit.

The best training facility in your area is this one: http://neshooters.com/

A pistol is your most important weapon. Because it can be on you at all times.
As to the "if a man tells you what gun to get, ignore him" advice....

I've trained lots of women. I've taken classes in HOW to teach women, the most recent just 2 weeks ago. So I UNDERSTAND.
Not all pistols are optimum. There are LOTs of good pistols out there, but some are better for use and carry than others. I highly recommend a 'Double Action Only' pistol. NOT a Double Action. For simplicity and ease of use.

Some guns to look at; Smith & Wesson M&P 9C, Springfield XDm, Kahr 9mms, Ruger SR9.

What to look for; how does it feel in your hand? Can you keep the slide in line with your fore arm, and still reach the front of the trigger with your index finger? Can you pull the slide back? How do you like to shoot it?

I like rifles. I just took a rifle class. But where is my rifle now? In a safe, miles away.
Where's my pistol? on my side...

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
Well, you are fortunate in that you live in a very gun friendly state. You can carry a concealed firearm without needing a permit.

The best training facility in your area is this one: http://neshooters.com/

A pistol is your most important weapon. Because it can be on you at all times.
As to the "if a man tells you what gun to get, ignore him" advice....

I've trained lots of women. I've taken classes in HOW to teach women, the most recent just 2 weeks ago. So I UNDERSTAND.
Not all pistols are optimum. There are LOTs of good pistols out there, but some are better for use and carry than others. I highly recommend a 'Double Action Only' pistol. NOT a Double Action. For simplicity and ease of use.

Some guns to look at; Smith & Wesson M&P 9C, Springfield XDm, Kahr 9mms, Ruger SR9.

What to look for; how does it feel in your hand? Can you keep the slide in line with your fore arm, and still reach the front of the trigger with your index finger? Can you pull the slide back? How do you like to shoot it?

I like rifles. I just took a rifle class. But where is my rifle now? In a safe, miles away.
Where's my pistol? on my side...

Glock 19, 4th Generation.

As to NE shooters. A great group with which to become affiliated. They bring in some of the most reputable firearms instructors in the country each year to hold special training courses for members. Great referral ZenGunFighter!

endurance

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Until the real test happens, it's all just a guess.

The Professor
I concur.  In 1993 I was called to a burglar alarm on a remote ranch 15 miles from my closest back up at 2am.  After a thorough search of the residence, I was checking the outbuildings.  As I came around the last vehicle in the pole barn I heard "hey you!"  I turned around and put my flashlight on a man leveling a shotgun at be at a range of about 35 yards and I had my 9mm pointed at him.  One side of my brain perceived the threat and could only think SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT!  The other side of my brain said 'You need more information'.  I began shouting verbal commands, but one thing they never mentioned in the academy was when you're shining a 40,000 candlepower flashlight into somebody's eyes, they can't see your uniform or badge at all.  We had ourselves a stand off that ultimately ended with him lowering the shotgun long enough for me to shine the flashlight on myself and identify myself.  Turns out he was the caretaker for the property and was just doing his job, just like me.

Two years earlier, with a little less experience and a little more testosterone of youth and we would have had a tragedy, one way or another.  At a range of 35 yards at night, he had the right tool for the job and I really doubt I would have been able to hit him reliably (flashlight in one hand, 3.8" barrel handgun in the other).  You just never know, but despite a rather harsh debriefing by my Sargeant the next day, I know I made the right decision despite the incoming information that said SHOOT!

There is nothing more complex or hairy than the moment you actually have to use a gun and I'm not convinced any book or training will ever prevent tragedy or mean you always make the right call.  I've read Grossman and it's good stuff, but sometimes I really do think it comes down to luck/faith/a higher power/random chance.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
Wow Endurance, bet you had to change your shorts after that call. I think most people, including LEO's would have pulled the trigger in that situation. Somebody was looking out for you and that guy.

endurance

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »
Wow Endurance, bet you had to change your shorts after that call. I think most people, including LEO's would have pulled the trigger in that situation. Somebody was looking out for you and that guy.
Like I said, sometimes it really does come down to something outside ourselves.  There was no shorts changing, but within six months there was a career change.  It was just one of several poorly timed incidents that made me decide it was time to move on.  Our department was so small that we joked that back up meant you were putting your car in reverse and getting the hell out of there.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »
Our department was so small that we joked that back up meant you were putting your car in reverse and getting the hell out of there.

LMAO!!