Author Topic: Need advice on drug testing for prednisone  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Need advice on drug testing for prednisone
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »
My 77-year-old mother passed away back in September of 2009. I was her healthcare proxy and I also managed all her medications. Among the drugs in her long list of prescriptions was prednisone. When she died, my brothers and I cleared out her entire apartment and gave almost everything away to charity. I never threw away any of her old medicines and just tossed the whole sack of them into a cloth shopping bag in the back of my closet. All of her medications still had over 90 days of dosages left to them.

I recently (the past 3 weeks) began suffering terrible pain in both my hips. Why, I'm not certain. One older blood-relative suggested I might be developing arthritis or bursitis. Whatever the problem is, it hurts to sit, stand, and walk around. It even hurts if I try to sleep on either side at night, so I must instead sleep either flat on my back or flat on my stomach. I trained myself to wake up whenever I start to roll over in my sleep, and I make sure I either go completely onto my stomach or completely on my back but never on my side. I can't sit for long periods and I've been brining a pillow to sit on during my 4-hour night classes that I attend twice per week. And during the 15 minute dinner break that the professor gives us, I always stand up to eat my yogurt and granola bar.

I'm unemployed right now and am taking a 12-week training course at the local community college to become a certified nurses aide. When the course is over, the college is committed to getting us all placed in jobs with local nursing homes and visiting home health aide services. They want to get us all employed by mid-June. But until then I have very little money and no medical insurance. So instead of going to a doctor, I tried to fight the pain myself with Advil. But then this past Friday, the pain got so intense and my ability to even just sit in a chair and study became almost impossible. So I had to do something, so I started taking my mother's old prednisone, 5 mgs once per day. After 5 days it has helped immensely. I told myself I could take it until I could afford to see a doctor, and then he might either write me a prescription for prednisone himself, or come to a different diagnosis and steer me toward a different course of therapy. BUT the point is I told myself yesterday (after the prednisone seemed to be doing the trick) that I could just keep taking my mom's pills until I had the money to see a doctor. And when will I have the money? Well ... after I get a job, of course.

But I only just now realized that in order to get a job in June, I will probably have to pass a drug screening test in June. And prednisone is a steroid, so surely it will show up in a screen.

What can you guys tell me?
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Need advice on drug testing for prednisone
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
Prednisone is not a performance enhancing steroid. It is a corticosteroid. It is typically used to depress the immune system in cases of contact dermatitis (think bad poison ivy). They certainly can help with arthritic type conditions, but you are also increasing your risk of high blood pressure, glaucoma, weight gain, high blood sugar and mood swings.

I am just a dude on the internet, but I would not want to be on a steroid for any length of time. Certainly not self medicating.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
Fair enough.

And thanks for the info.

I do need to ask -- is 5mg a terrible dose?
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
I can tell you that you did not develop arthritis in a period of three weeks.  Prednisone masks a lot of symptoms and it's not a good drug to stay on for a long period of time.  I've seen it do more harm than good for folks who stay on it more than about six weeks, so your plan to hold off until June sounds risky.  Look at the common and infrequent side effects alone (ignoring the rare) and it's probably a drug that you should use some extreme caution self-medicating with (although I wouldn't mind the first of the rare side effects on the list "Extreme Sense of Well Being").

I'd say you should start hunting around for a free clinic, doctor that works on a sliding scale, or something to work on getting a better diagnosis.  Alternatively, you might want to do one of webmd's self-diagnosis tests on your hip pain and see if there's something that makes sense to you.  As a cycling coach, I worry about things like osteonecrosis from tears to the blood vessel that feeds the femur, but that's generally the result of a bike accident falling on the hip, but leads to the need for total hip replacement if it's not addressed.

In any case, I'm not trying to fear-monger, just concerned.  As for pre-employment drug testing, generally they're not looking for steroids, they're looking for opioids, THC, meth, coke, and other similar drugs.  
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
Thanks, endurance. I'll see what I can do. And now I guess I need to talk my family about possibly needing to utilize a hefty 3-digits in uninsured medical expenses.

And to repeat the question: is 5 mg a terrible dosage?

I have two bottles of prednisone from my mom's stuff. One is over 90 days worth of 5mg tablets. The other is over 90 days of 2.5mg tablets. I've been tempted to increase the dosage up to the available  7.5 mg, but I've held off out of concern that I might do some damage. 

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
I don't know dosages, so I'm not even going to guess.  I know that both my ex-wife and my brother had initially positive experiences with prednisone that ultimately turned bad.  For one it was weight gain and insomnia, for the other it was a series of upper respiratory infections that ultimately led to an extended hospital stay.  To me it follows that if it's not great for you, less is better.

What if what you have is a bone or deep tissue infection and all you're doing is suppressing your immune system while relieving the pain?  I just don't mess around with things like this.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
I take low dose prednisone for arthritis pain as it's what the doctor prescribed because I'm allergic to nsaids. My "low" dose is 10mg, twice the strength of your 5's so I wouldn't worry about it in that regard. It's a very small dose. When you are suffering from pain and inflamation and nothing else is available it's almost a wonder drug.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
OL,

I second what endurance said - you could be masking something very serious. Please don't fool around with this, especially if there was a sudden onset of symptoms. Most cities or counties have public health clinics that work on a sliding scale, as do many public or private hospitals. Your college might even have a student clinic, or your department staff might be able to advise you.

Please get this checked out.

soupbone
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:01 AM »
I just checked Web MD. It gave me 20 possible diagnosis, none of them minor.

Hip (acetabular) labral tear
Osteoarthritis
Psoriatic arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis
Tendinitis
Gout
Broken (fractured) hip
Repetitive motion injuries
Bursitis (iliopsoas)
Septic arthritis
Avascular necrosis
Bursitis (trochanteric)
Fibromyalgia
Shingles (herpes zoster)
Dermatomyositis
Lumbar spinal stenosis
Lupus (systemic lupus erythematosis)
Pseudogout
Stress fracures
Thoracic spinal stenosis

I don't fricking have time for a major health problem. This really blows. Between costing tens of thousand of dollars and possibly failing my certification course at college due to my maybe not being able to perform a month's worth of clinical duties at the local nursing home starting next week, this could very well put a huge and permanent dent in my whole life.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Again, Oil Lady, this is why you need to see a doctor. It could be something very simple to fix, or something very serious you can't fool with. Web MD or whatever is not a substitute, and in many cases, serves only to increase anxiety. Please go to a doctor.

soupbone

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
I will, soupbone (and as an amusing sidenote, I keep wanting to call you "subpoena").

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »

No, 5 mg is a small dose, but if you are taking it a long time you still run some risk for the complications listed above. 

Prednisone is not a performance enhancing steroid. It is a corticosteroid. It is typically used to depress the immune system in cases of contact dermatitis (think bad poison ivy). They certainly can help with arthritic type conditions, but you are also increasing your risk of high blood pressure, glaucoma, weight gain, high blood sugar and mood swings.

I am just a dude on the Internet, but I would not want to be on a steroid for any length of time. Certainly not self medicating.

He is right, there are several classes of steroid hormones.  "Vitamin" D is technically a steroid hormone, and it should not show up on a drug test; Prednisone should not either, but I would not say never since there are different manufacturers of tests of varying quality.

If you have been taking it for a long time(weeks to month) do not stop immediately, since you may develop adrenal insufficiency(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenal_insufficiency#Causes); you would need to taper off of it.  There are other ways to treat arthritis (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid?) pain if this is what you have, see: (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15102339), (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15723739)
Why are so few of us left active, healthy and without personality disorders.

Offline JoeTerry

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
My wife has had it show up in drug test before, but if you tell them before hand that you are taking prednisone then they will knwo to overlook that. I've never seen a drug testing facility actually ask for a doctor and then call that doctor to confirm a prescription. (Probably due to HIPAA laws) So you just need to let them know you are taking it for medical reasons.

Most hospitals are non-profits and as such they are required to do a certain amount of charity. So call them up and see if they have something to help with the medical bills. My wife and I were helped tremendously by our local hospital due to their charity requirement.

What you have sounds pretty serious and putting it off can make it worse. Sending all my thoughts your way that things turn out well for you.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
Steroids will make you feel better, but is seriously fixed very little.

Get some help.

But with joint pain one thing that often helps is staying well hydrated.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
There are other ways to treat arthritis (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid?) pain if this is what you have, see: (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15102339), (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15723739)

I take SAMe and omega3 oil, and olive oil and can't stand any pressure on my hips, knees, or shoulders without something to alleviate the inflamation. With an inability to take nsaids I've tried everything. I agree she needs to see a doctor but sometimes we're stuck with less than optimal choices even with a doctor.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
Oil Lady,

"I keep wanting to call you "subpoena"":

Do that, and I'll be tempted to drop the "i" from your name!

soup

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
I take SAMe and omega3 oil, and olive oil and can't stand any pressure on my hips, knees, or shoulders without something to alleviate the inflamation. With an inability to take nsaids I've tried everything. I agree she needs to see a doctor but sometimes we're stuck with less than optimal choices even with a doctor.

Yes, at some point there may be damage that can not be fixed with supplements.  Are you taking the amounts in the studies?  SAMe 600 mg 2x a day in the osteoarthritis study; Omega 3 (not just fish oil) 3 gram each day with 9.6 ml (about 2 teaspoons) of olive oil each day for the rheumatoid arthritis study.  It is very important to not that all fish oil is not Omega 3 fatty acids; the most pure supplement not by prescription that I know of is (http://www.usa.makelifebetter.com/profiles/profile_22776.pdf)
Why are so few of us left active, healthy and without personality disorders.

Kabar19D

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
PLEASE, PLEASE go see a Dr. Prednisone is nothing to just start taking. It sounds like this was a sudden onset of joint pain. It could be something as simple as Lyme disease, dehydration, or something as serious as rheumatoid arthritis. Please see a physician to get a diagnosis, and proper treatment.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
Everything about your story screams bad idea.

You can apply for a hardship exemption at your school and postpone your clinicals or work something out. They are not going to fail you for having an unexpected health problem. Take care of this now, because you will certainly not be able to perform the duties of a nurses aide with a debilitating joint problem.

Goatdog62

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I'm inclined to do like you did and not worry much about it. While not in the habit of taking others prescriptions, I have self-prescribed stuff for myself and fixed myself. This is wrong and shortly many will comment on this and tell me how I will die a horrible death. I am not recommending you follow my example, just that it seems to work for me. If SHTF this may be what you have to do anyway. My only admittance to a hospital for sickness was in 1985 for pneumonia and I was physically forced to go. This was during my Army days. Injuries from deployments are not included here. I have only been to a doctor less than a dozen times since I can remember. I don't know how many times I saw one as a young child. In other words, I'm wrong, but it has turned out right so far. I am 49 and have no conditions that preclude me from the activity I had as a twenty-year old man. This includes long-distance running and extensive hiking with a heavy load.

You should see a Doc, but don't freak out if you don't.

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
ACK!  Prednisone is a serious drug and shouldnt be taken without a doctors supervision!  (OK had to say that....)
Its generally not tested as a pre-employment drug (opiates, cocaine, pot, meth/amphetamines, benzos- street drugs)
As an RN, I know that my patients doses are tapered up and down by the docs- specially when coming OFF the drug
One common side effect is increased blood glucose levels, even for NON DIABETICS...
Think suddenly being diabetic-and not controlling it... and the health problems that implies?  ACK! again
Just my 2cents of caution, thats why I just give what the Docs (and NP/PA's) write for me to give....

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:05 AM »
I have been on Prednisone 2 times and you have to tapor up and down or you risk serious side effects.  It will also have a big effect on your emotions.  It sounds like your taking small doses, but your making a big mistake and you need to get off this stuff correctly. 

I have had back pain in the past.  Naproxen helped a lot and it is over the counter.  It is not good for your stomach so take it with food and don't take it for long. The other thing that I did was talk to a physical therapist who helped me figure out how I was re injuring myself.  I was leaning over too much for too long at work (like nurses do).  I also had problems with the bucket seats in my car.  I eventually sold the sports car and bought a pickup to get upright seating.  Never lean over without putting one hand down to support your weight or just using your legs while going straight up and down.  One of those wide weight lifting belts will also help.

Try to see a doctor.  This is a major problem.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Thought I'd give this old 2011 thread a bump and an update.

*BUMP*

When summer of 2011 came, the pain got less. I stopped the predinisone and had almost no problems after that. I passed my clinicals, got two jobs, and did okay with my duties. Passed my drug screenings with no problems as well.

In the ensuing months I got the occasional twinge of pain in my hips, and just assumed it was the beginnings of arthritis (I am in my 40's after all). But those occasional twinges never amounted to much.

Then in the winter of 2012, the pain really came back with a vengeance. I was limping at work, fearing I would lose my job as a nursing assistant. Finally I got on the internet and read up on "hip pain." I was at first very biased toward assuming it was arthritis. But as I read further, the self-diagnosis of bursitis became much more likely. Specific details that I read about on bursitis web sites --such as the pain happening more on the outside of the hip instead of deep within-- were key in steering me more toward a self-diagnosis of bursitis.

At first I wanted to see what sort of medicines could stop bursitis pain. But then I changed the direction of my internet research and focused upon analyzing what bursitis truly is/means, and how it can be alleviated via natural methods.

I read that bursitis is the inflammation of the bursa tissues. So I decided I simply needed to get rid of the inflammation.

I started reading up on inflammation, what it is, how it is caused, and how to combat it. And while I at first thought I needed to concentrate on anti-inflammatory medications, I instead once again decided to see what sort of non-drug and totally natural methids I could uncover via researching anti-inflammatory foods. And after reviewing over a dozen web sites each claiming to have the ultimate list of bad foods and good foods when it came to inflammation, I finally compiled my own version of the two lists of foods: the no-no foods that cause inflammation, and the good foods that combat it.

INFLAMATION-INDUCING FOODS:
Red meat
Eggs
Dairy
Processed sugars
Processed grains (especially wheat and corn)
Nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplants)

INFLAMATION-REDUCING FOODS:
Most nuts, and especially almonds
Cruciferous vegetables, especially kale
Beets
Sweet potatoes
Grapes
Oily fish (but I hate fish, so I didn't bother with it)
Olive oil and Canola oil
Blueberries
Tumeric

So I went to the healthfood store, bought as much organic as I could from the parameters of the dietary tips I found on the web for inflammation, and started eating differently.

I figured if I ate a strict anti-inflammatory diet every day for a month, I'd probably feel maybe ... (I guessed) ... halfway better. Or maybe just a third of the way better.

Wrong.

It took just three days on this diet and I felt ten years younger. The pain was gone. The limping stopped. I had real energy again. I was thinking more clearly. All kinds of goofy little discomforts I had grown accustomed to over the years and which I imagined I just had to live with the rest of my life --discomforts having nothing to do with possible bursitis-- all suddenly evaporated. Poof.

I won't ever again let myself eat a big plate of spaghetti with all those nightshades, all that wheat, all that cheese, and all that red meat. While such a dish is perfectly healthy for most other people, it's now my worst nightmare. And I specifically recall that during the absolute worst bout with the bursitis that I underwent, I had made a huge batch the week before of homemade spaghetti sauce with ground beef and lots of veggies in it (including eggplant and peppers), and I was eating the leftovers for days and days, using it up by having pasta every single night.  So I won't be making my own homemade pasta sauce again. Ever.

Sometimes I fall off the wagon and indulge in a milkshake or a nice pot roast. But when I break my diet, the hips start to hurt again with that familiar twinge.

So ... that's what happened. That was my experience. I beat the mother-effin pain via diet and not drugs.

YMMV.

No part of this thread is meant to be taken as medical advice. Just a report of my experience in wrangling with what might be bursitis.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:32:07 PM by Oil Lady »

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »

Compared to what?

And Pred is HARD on the liver, administering NSAIDS (ie  aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen) with this may increase the risk of gastric ulceration. When I gave it to animals,you also should wean off it. You should never start or STOP this drug without consulting with your doctor first.

Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees when you are laying on your side. It sure helped my hips.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
And I just noted this was an OLD thread.. sorry about that. Glad you are doing better.

Cedar

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
I am doing so much better. :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing better, Oil Lady. :)

2012 was my Year Of Prednisone (one of several drugs I was on to treat an autoimmune disease), starting at 60 mg/day and tapering down to zero over many months.  The treatment regimen worked (so far!), but the prednisone was THE WORST for side-effects.

I strongly encourage everyone to NOT self-medicate with prednisone unless it's TEOTWAWKI.  You need regular lab tests to catch the nasty things this drug is doing to your body.  Side effects seem to be different for every individual, but some of mine were: severe osteoporosis, severe muscle weakness, edema (swollen feet and ankles), nerve damage in my toes that appears to be permanent (possibly caused by the edema), hair loss, and mood improvement (lucky me -- most people get the opposite).

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
I strongly encourage everyone to NOT self-medicate with prednisone unless it's TEOTWAWKI. 

I pretty much encourage everyone to NOT self-medicate with ANYTHING unless it's TEOTWAWKI other than asprin.

Cedar

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 04:21:51 AM »
I think I have only just (as of a few hours go) identified one long term (permanent?) side effect that I suffered from that prednisone self-treatment. And it's a real doozy too.

I seem to have permanently damaged my short-tem memory.

http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/1997/201/12

Now I'm not talkin' 50 First Dates here. But my memory is now considerably less than what it used to be. And this memory erosion began in mid-2011 after I had been using the prednisone. 

This pisses me off. My mind is one of my better assets, and it has now been impaired. The medical literature claims that damage to the hippocampus is what happens, and when it comes to any damage befalling that particular brain structure, there ain't no fixin' that.