Author Topic: The Simple Dollar Web Site  (Read 9446 times)

Sherman

The Simple Dollar Web Site
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
Here's a site that holds a lot of info: I remember my sister and brother in law subscribing to it many years ago and finding it very useful on their farm.   It's called the Tightwad Gazette     http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/07/27/review-the-complete-tightwad-gazette/

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: The Simple Dollar Web Site
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
That was the website I read and got my bread recipe from. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! I lost the link. it's like finding your lost grandmother trapepd in a well, and getting your recipe back before she croaks.

Sherman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
Oh, chris!!! *snicker-giggle-snort!* cute!

Offline Conductor71

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »
Wow, Sherman, thanks so much for the link.  (And Chris, I literally laughed out loud when I read your reply :)

Offline DDrew

• Survivor
  • DOWNSIZING - Our best solution to this mess . . .
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »
That was the website I read and got my bread recipe from. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! I lost the link. it's like finding your lost grandmother trapepd in a well, and getting your recipe back before she croaks.

Gotcha!! See there is something nice inside that grumpy grouch!!  +1 for the Grouch!!

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
TP:  pages of a phone book. 
Phonebooks will become very valuable... :-\

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
Dude that's not funny!  My grandma died in a well....with her recipes..... >:(

Seriously though....great web site!

BP

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »
There is some really really bad advice in that book.  My wife would seriously object to the advice to buy store brand foods.  That is a strategy for the lazy shopper (no offense).  Yes, store brands are cheaper than the regular priced brand names.   But you can actually get brand name foods much much cheaper if your learn the grocery system and do some prepping.

By combining manufacturer coupons, store sales, double coupons, etc.  You can often get brand name products much cheaper than the store brands. Also get on a coupon swapper site. Many people do not realize that coupon distribution is regional. Some regions have double coupons, but they usually get lesser coupons $25-$50 or a $1.00 (dollar coupons often don't double).  Where as some regions which do not have double coupons get $75 & $99 coupons. When these double or triple, and you buy a product on sale, you can often walk out of the store having been paid to remove a brand name product.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »
Get Rich Slowly is/was a great blog.  In fact it was the first blog that I read everyday.  I started reading it sometime in '07 and I learned a lot.  However, in the last year or so very little of it has applied to me.  I still check it weekly or so and skim the topics for something interesting. 

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
I love thesimpledollar.com site. Been reading it for quite a while now. A lot of the information doesn't apply to me or doesn't fit my situation but Trent (the blogger) covers so many different topics, ideas, etc. that it keeps it interesting as a daily read.

Offline ProfessorHex

• Prepper
  • Get me outta here and onto a farm!
    • iWannaFarm.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »
My wife would seriously object to the advice to buy store brand foods.  That is a strategy for the lazy shopper (no offense).  Yes, store brands are cheaper than the regular priced brand names.   But you can actually get brand name foods much much cheaper if your learn the grocery system and do some prepping.

I can't argue with that.  However, for some people, learning the system and prepping are really advanced skills.  I think that there's value in store brands for the beginner.  It gets their eyes open to cost-saving alternatives rather than swooping like a hawk for the Cocoa Pebbles(C)(R)(Tm) every week, ignoring everything else. 

Of course, quality and value will also vary, but sometimes you can find name brand products in store brand packaging.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Of course, quality and value will also vary, but sometimes you can find name brand products in store brand packaging.

This is very true. Coming from a food brokerage background I can tell you that MANY store brand foods are just re-packaged and re-branded versions of their “competitors” name brand foods. Often, it’s the same food sitting right next to each other on the shelf but they can cost a lot different. Sometimes there are slight differences in ingredients, portions, etc. but generally they are very much the same.

Now, when you get into higher end store brands such as Whole Food's "360" products and Costco's "Kirkland Signature" products the store brand is generally actually BETTER quality than the name brand (trust me on this one - it's true), why? Because Whole Foods, Costco, and other high end retailers are putting their name on the pack and want it to truly be the best you can buy. These retailers define "best" as less preservatives, cleaner ingredient decks (that means less stuff you can't pronounce going into the product) and more product for the money.

I never realized this until I actually started working on store brand projects but now that I know I have a great appreciation for (high quality) store brand items.

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
For example, most generic store brand cereals cost around $2.  But using coupons and buying during sales can get you name brands for less.

That's all I'm saying. I used to do more generic and bulk (Costco) purchases. Now my wife rips into me if I spend a $1 on a box of pasta. As she exclaims, we should spend more than 10 cents for a box of pasta.

LOL

Offline prepperdad

• Prepper
    • Prepper Dad's blog
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
Love this blog.  I also read GRS, but my favorite is Frugal Dad.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I agree, The Simple Dollar is an awesome site. I read it every day! Get Rich Slowly and Frugal Dad are also some of my favorites and are on my weekly reading list!