Author Topic: Jeff The Berkey Guy  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
Jeff The Berkey Guy
« on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
Today I contacted Jeff via his website to inquire about the Sport Bottle filtration system.

I expected an e-mail reply within a day or so.

Within 10 minutes Jeff gave me a phone call.  :o

What a great guy!

I'm impressed. Jeff answered all of my questions and I enjoyed my conversation with such an intelligent and professional individual.
And a genuinely nice guy.

Jeff will definitely be getting all of my business related to water storage and filtration needs.

We already have in daily use a Big Berkey with the Black Berkey filters. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
I'll be ordering the Sport bottles for myself and my family.

If you haven't already attended to this area of your preps you should definitely give Jeff's website a look.

Awesome Guy. Awesome service.

Of course I told Jeff I heard about him here on TSP.  :)

Link=  Directive21- Jeff, The Berkey Guy

Prag

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
Re: Jeff The Berkey Guy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
I've heard so many good things about Jeff which makes it even more strange that I had such a bad experience with this company. My phone call was never returned and my emails only received one sentence replies. Now I'm stuck with a system I'm really not happy with. Maybe it was the phase of the moon.  ::)

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
I've heard so many good things about Jeff which makes it even more strange that I had such a bad experience with this company. My phone call was never returned and my emails only received one sentence replies. Now I'm stuck with a system I'm really not happy with. Maybe it was the phase of the moon.  ::)

I'm very surprised to hear this. Especially after my conversation with Jeff.

Have you tried to contact him recently?

I couldn't imagine having a Berkey system I wasn't satisfied with.
Ours has been in daily use for a few years now and we love the unit.

What system do you have?

Just curious.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Serenity... give him a call... I'll bet he'll make it right for you.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
Like LvsChant said...

(I work nights and just got up...hadn't even had my coffee yet...)

I met to mention to give him a call. Like I said, he's a Great guy.

(Now to find my coffee... :-[ )

endurance

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
I'm with Serenity on this one.  I called a couple weeks ago and he said he was really busy and would call me right back.  He never did.  I sent an e-mail asking for him to call me back and explained that I had a couple questions and wanted to get the TSP-MSB benefit.  He 1-sentence e-mailed me that I just needed to get on the site and place the order and use the code.  He didn't address the fact that I had a question.

Between this, the fact that someone else mentioned they jacked up their prices on KIO3 after the Japanese incident, and someone else's leaking system in another thread, I'm having second thoughts about giving them my business.

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
I'm with Serenity, too.  I ordered a system that would fit my space.  He "upgraded" me without asking, and I said thanks but please send the system I ordered.  I also got a one sentence reply saying that the bigger system was being sent, and if I didn't like it I could send it back.  I returned it unused, and I'm now waiting on the system I bought to eventually get in stock and be shipped.  He could have saved a lot of effort and shipping if he'd just been honest about what he had in stock when I placed my order and not tried to force me to take something I didn't want.  I am hoping I actually get the correct system, and the return shipping refunded as he promised. 

JoeD

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
For what it is worth, I am currently waiting on my 3rd order from Jeff in the last month and I'm happy with his service.  He has answered my emails promptly and other than having to request shipping tracking info, I'm really happy.  His efforts to get added items for free with orders is definately appreciated.  For example, I just noticed that a Royal Berkey now comes with...well...several free choices.  I haven't seen offers like these at other sites. 

As far as him sending someone a free upgrade without consent.  Well, maybe he should have asked but usually giving someone more than they asked for, even without consent, is certainly excusable if not awesome.  Did it possibly have to do with receiving a Royal Berkey over a Big Berkey?  If so, I'd consider that quite a nice deal.  The Big Berkey has been back ordered for awhile and just starting to get caught up with back orders so getting a Royal Berkey sooner sounds good to me.  I was offered to upgrade to the Royal to speed up my order but had to pay $265 for the unit (which I did), a savings of $10 off the price of the Royal and I only got 2 sport bottles.

Jeff has been solid with me for what it is worth and I'll order from him again

joe d.

JoeD

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
Have to add that right before I started my above forum reply, I had emailed Jeff concerning shipping/tracking on my recent order (some extra filters).  By the time I finished the above entry and went back to my email, he had already responded.  That's great service to me.

joe d.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:43:32 AM »
I happy to hear you had a positive experience joe.
And this is what I would expect, even from my brief encounter with Jeff.

I'll be ordering my Sport Berkey's from Jeff my next payday.

I hope that Serenity, endurance , and Komodo  all have their concerns and issues resolved with Jeff.

It is my understanding that Jack has a pretty rigorous process that a vendor goes through before having them on as a sponsor. I'm sure Jeff must have undergone this process and came through with good recommendations.

It's always a good thing to air the positives and negative of any service or vendor.

Jeff just strikes me as a decent guy and , as I've mentioned, he'll be getting my business.

Good Luck to all in the resolution of your issues. I sincerely hope for the best for you.

JoeD

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »
Have to add that right before I started my above forum reply, I had emailed Jeff concerning shipping/tracking on my recent order (some extra filters).  By the time I finished the above entry and went back to my email, he had already responded.  That's great service to me.
The UPS guy just dropped off my most recent order.  My original reply for my purchase stated that the item would ship in 12-14 days and it surely beat that estimate by a couple of days.  Again, I'm really happy with my purchases from Jeff.  Would it be nice to have the resources of a bigger more established company like EE or Pleasant Hill Grains behind my order?  Sure, kinda, and I do order from those places.  As a matter of fact, I ordered something just this past Sunday from Pleasant Hill and it will be arriving tomorrow.  Yup, already got the shipment/tracking info on Tuesday.  Pretty fast turn-around.

But, that all being said, I like supporting the Jeff's out there.  I can't speak for him, but I don't think he has a huge warehouse, large staff including shipping department and customer service.  And that's okay cuz I like supporting the "little" people.  Buying from people you have a little more faith in, as opposed to larger companies, sometimes not only makes sense but feels good.  I've even been known to pay a little more for an item that I can get from other places (yeah, I love Amazon too!) and purchase from The Power Mall over at the Power Hour, etc.  I get my product and get to support someone who seems to care about me.

The only real problem I had to get over years ago when I started online purchasing was, I discovered, a personality flaw (namely my own).  I had to re-examine my own expectations and normal demands for the high level of service provided by the big stores and learn to relax (not always easy when you have a $300 order on the line) and have some faith and patience in these people I don't know and have never or never will even met face to face.  And to this day, literally thousands of dollars later, I have never had a real problem that a few phone calls didn't fix and I currently have in my possession everything I've ever ordered.  It is weird though, we want to support entrepreneurs but also expect them to be ..well...ultra smooooth and that isn't always the case.  So I guess now I am relaxed as one can be dealing with the smaller internet businesses but I still do send off that occassional email asking for a tracking number if possible.  ;)

BTW, check out the great response over at the Money Board from Sis Wolf concerning someone starting an online business.  You quickly see that these good people wanting to do a start-up business have many hurdles.  I tip my hat to everyone in the TSP community who is trying to make a living outside the mainstream corporate america.  I hope to continue supporting them as much as possible.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
Just a bit of an update.

I ordered 3 of the Sport Berkey's from Jeff on March 31st. I received a tracking number within 2 hours.
The Sport Berkey's arrived today.  :)

Jack just recently posted an update from Jeff here at The Survival Podcast.

Undoubtedly there is a huge surge in folks trying to obtain prepping needs and it seems to be challenging the majority of the prepping industry just now.
I appreciate the hard work and efforts of the solid business professionals out there, and the efforts of Jack and the mods here at trying to bring us the best info and contacts to further us along on our journey towards preparedness.

Just my ever devaluing $.02 worth... :)