Author Topic: First Hog Hunt  (Read 1934 times)

Offline 21B Survivor

• Prepper
First Hog Hunt
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:02:24 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am going on my first hog hunt and have a few questions that I hope ya'll can answer. (I have been duck, dove, and gator hunting for a few years know, but this will be my first time hunitng hog)

I will be hunting in a mainly scrub brush slightly wooded area with some small open areas in Florida just below the panhandle on the western side of the state. I will be using my .308 (remmington 700) and hunitng in a ground blind, elevated blind, and stalking. (3 day hunt)

Questions:

What grain bullet should I use? (I am zeroed with a 168grain bullet) but can re-zero if I need to use a hevier bullet.

Where should I hit em? (I hear and read alot about behind the ear / heart / lungs) i figure heart/lungs will be an easier shot.

Any extra gear / equipment I should bring?

Any word from the wise on hints / tips you think I should know before I go out there?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Offline 21B Survivor

• Prepper
Re: First Hog Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
Also...

Any tips on processing it?

homeshow

Re: First Hog Hunt
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
if you are going to hang it go to a hardware store and get some 2" 200lb pulleys and get a friend to help pull.  when shooting little ones watch for big mama.  they make a good ragu (tomato based meat sauce for spagetti)  head shots great for meat saving.  although a more difficult shot.  is that area shotgun only?  a lot of florida was shotgun only due to the flatness of the state in general.  have fun!!