Author Topic: thesurvivalpodcast.com (Forum and Blog) are moving to a new hosting service  (Read 14298 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Jack is arranging for us to move to a new web hosting service.  It will probably happen some time this week, but we don't know when yet.

We'll do our best to make this move without causing you inconvenience, but a few annoyances are guaranteed:

• The forum and the blog will both be down for a little while, as we transfer files and get things up and running on the new host.  We hope that means "an hour or two", rather than "a day or two"!
  • When we change thesurvivalpodcast.com to point at the new host, it will take a while (minutes or hours or days) for this change to propagate across the whole Internet.  So your bookmarks may keep sending you to the old site for a while.  We'll try to provide links on the old site to redirect you to the new site.

More info to follow when we know more...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
what! noooooooo!
you know what happens when things are messed with.  something else breaks, and things get slow and annoying and I cannot handle computer changes!!!!

:going to my room to calm down now....:

ps - friday and saturday this weekend would be good days for this - I will be unable to log on anyway.....  ;D
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Just a clairification.

We will be down for about a day, not really down but the site will be in two places at the same time.  We will test everything before redirecting the domain.  The move and testing won't take long but I have to lock the forum or some people will be posting to the old one and some to the new one.

Second there will be no risk to the forum due to how we are doing this.  The forum and site will be copied to the new server only after we verify that everythign works will we redirect the domain and I will leave the old server active for about a week as a back up in case we do have problems. 

We are moving to HostGator from HostingWithUS.  HostGator hosts the MSB and the Audio server, they have come through for us again and again with tech support.  HostingWithUs is in my view the most useless bunch of human beings on the planet. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
    • CanadaPrepared.com
I've used HostGator for years, and although my sites don't even get a tenth of the traffic that TSP does, I concur with Jack. Awesome hosts with the best tech support I've encountered in 15 years of IT experience. I also used to work for one of Canada's top hosting companies, so I do speak from experience here.

HostGator and TSP will be a force for certain.
Beyond Surviving, On To Thriving!
CanadaPrepared.com

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
That sounds good!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
MS: repeat after me... "change is good... change is good..."

Really, it will be fine :)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
change is good, change is good  :-X
change is good, change is good  :pissed:
change is good, change is good  >:(
change is good, change is good  :stop:
change is good, change is good  ???
change is good, change is good  :-\
change is good, change is good  :o
change is good, change is good  :'(
change is good, change is good  :(
change is good, change is good  :tinfoily:
change is good, change is good  :crazy:
change is good, change is good  :censored:
change is good, change is good  :impatient:
change is good, change is good  ::)
change is good, change is good  :P
change is good, change is good  :)
change is good, change is good  :deadhorse:

;D ;D ;D ;D
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
"...a force for certain."

At the risk of hijacking this thread, that's a great catchphrase! For example:

"Ron Paul and the 2012 election. A force for certain."

"Sam Adams Boston Lager and grilled grassfed steak. A force for certain."

"Photovoltaic cells and wind turbines. A force for certain."

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator

Second there will be no risk to the forum due to how we are doing this.  The forum and site will be copied to the new server only after we verify that everythign works will we redirect the domain and I will leave the old server active for about a week as a back up in case we do have problems. 

Famous last words used on every domain move I have ever endured experienced!  ;D

Good luck with the moves. Send up a flare when you switch the MX record.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
Famous last words used on every domain move I have ever endured experienced!  ;D

In addition to whatever precautions Jack is taking, we do automatic nightly backups of the entire forum to a remote location, and the backups are backed up to a second remote location.  So we're fairly well prepared for a disaster. :)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
In addition to whatever precautions Jack is taking, we do automatic nightly backups of the entire forum to a remote location, and the backups are backed up to a second remote location.  So we're fairly well prepared for a disaster. :)

Now if we had a dial up network established in the event of an interwebs shut down. Hmm..... :tinfoily:
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline OldManSchmidt

• Dedicated Contributor
  • There is such a thing as too low.
Will modern modems even work with the speeds that an old style direct dial-up runs?  Not to mention that given the traffic this site sees from the regulars, most of us would never manage to get on anyway.  Ahh, the days of the single line BBS.  I miss those days.
Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me -- Psalm 23
If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to.  This is the last stand on Earth. -- Ronald Reagan
I never signed onto this gig to save the world, just my little piece of it. -- OMS

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
LOL, I cut my teeth on BBS systems back in the day.  (Man my dad got mad the first time he got a phone bill after I got out of the Army and moved back home LOL)  My first non military internet connectivity was through a BBS uplink a friend ran.  Man those were the days.  (I remember I had an IRQ comm port issue between my fancy new seriel mouse (Yes, I'm old)  and fancy used soundblaster card.  The modem only downloaded while the mouse was moving.  So I had to open a page and slide the mouse back and forth so it would download. I believe after 3 days of using it that way, that was the first time I ever actually threatened a computers life.  ;)

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline nanodec

• Survivalist Mentor
LOL, I cut my teeth on BBS systems back in the day.  (Man my dad got mad the first time he got a phone bill after I got out of the Army and moved back home LOL)  My first non military internet connectivity was through a BBS uplink a friend ran.  Man those were the days.  (I remember I had an IRQ comm port issue between my fancy new seriel mouse (Yes, I'm old)  and fancy used soundblaster card.  The modem only downloaded while the mouse was moving.  So I had to open a page and slide the mouse back and forth so it would download. I believe after 3 days of using it that way, that was the first time I ever actually threatened a computers life.  ;)

god I remember those days.. or before AIM or AOL you had IRC for chat. Used to be the place to go for Mp3s, etc... haha.. all the bot wars we used to have back then... ahh... awesome! :D
Quote from: evilphish
So.  let me get this straight.  because of BP, the earth is about to rip a massive air biscuit and kill us all.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
So here's where we stand...

The forum is running on the new server.  If you're reading this, you're seeing the new server at HostGator.

Our domain (thesurvivalpodcast.com) has been changed from its old IP address (173.192.186.133) to its new HostGator IP address (174.120.152.220).  This change is still propagating across the net, which means some people are still seeing only the "down for maintenance" message from the old server.  (The only reason I'm able to post this is that I edited my hosts file to include our new IP address -- my ISP's nameservers don't know about it yet!)

HostGator started transferring data from the old host on Saturday 4/2 at 11:34 PM Pacific time.  Logins at the new host were enabled on Sunday 4/3 at 4:14 PM Pacific.  So everything you did on the forum between those two timepoints is currently missing.
  • I've recovered copies of all messages posted during that gap.  I'll try to re-post them here tomorrow.
  • Any personal messages sent during that gap are gone for good.
  • Any poll votes made during the gap are also gone.
  • New members who registered during that gap are, unfortunately, not registered here.

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Mr. Bill, I've noticed your handy work in a lot of threads. I'd just like to say "thanks" for all of the hard work trying to get the posts that were lost into the various threads in which they belong. I know it can't be easy.

+1

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
I agree with nic....

+1 to Mr. Bill!

hip hip hooray!  :beer: (I am, of course, using ROOT beer in this toast  ;D)

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
FTW, I've outgrown a few servers and now am running things on a Rackspace Cloud.  It's been the best service yet.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
thesurvivalpodcast.com (Forum and Blog) are moving to a new server AGAIN
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
Yes, it's like dejá vu all over again -- but better!  Jack has arranged for thesurvivalpodcast.com and survivalpodcast.net to have their very own dedicated server.

We're pretty excited about this.  It should mean more reliable service for the forum, blog, and podcast downloads.

And of course there will be disruption (AGAIN) during the transfer, which will probably be some time this week.

We'll try to keep you informed during the forthcoming outage on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tspforum

Offline Jimmy

• Prepper
  • The road to hell is paved with good intentions
    • My website for my garden, business book recommendations...
He guys

I love the new forum it looks really nice. Could you tell me what software your now using?

Are you using a new theme on the the SMF forum (if yes could you tell me the theme?)or is it different forum software? The reason I am asking is that I am just in the process of setting a forum for my finance club http://fatcatsfinance.blogspot.com/ and would like a nice looking setup

Regards

Paul

www.paulayling.me

Interested in meeting people in Melbourne Australia to discuss off grid living, permaculture and other modern survival topics (and others)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
He guys

I love the new forum it looks really nice. Could you tell me what software your now using?

Are you using a new theme on the the SMF forum (if yes could you tell me the theme?)or is it different forum software?...

It's SMF 2.0 RC5, and our default theme is just the software's built-in theme.  Seems to be working fairly well.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
are we back then?
up and ready to go, or did I find a brief moment of reprise from my withdrawal symptoms?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
are we back then?
up and ready to go, or did I find a brief moment of reprise from my withdrawal symptoms?

Brief moment, if I understand Archer correctly.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
Brief moment, if I understand Archer correctly.

But for the "brief moment" we can all get our TSP Forum fix...

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter.²
    - William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
But for the "brief moment" we can all get our TSP Forum fix...
amen. Archer has been working his butt off on this. Thank you Archer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:06:56 PM by TexDaddy »
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Thanks for the hard work, Archer!

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
We wub you Archer!!!!
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
We wub you Archer!!!!

careful, greywolf... next thing you know, you will be an official archer stalker  ;)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Archer, YOU DA MAN 

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Me stalk... nah... .... ...
well.....
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!