Author Topic: Police issue warning about buying and selling gold ??  (Read 2534 times)

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Police issue warning about buying and selling gold ??
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »

Looks like California will be cracking down on Gold dealing, after all stolen gold can be identified and tracked??  I don't think so! This will be coming home to your state soon,don't you think? Think Taxes my friend!

kiteflyer

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_16988452#ixzz1ALdpqIjB

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
Re: Police issue warning about buying and selling gold ??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
The article, of course, explains that law enforcement needs to catch theives.  Of course we all would like to crack down on those dirty old thieves.  But the philosophical question is this:  how many times does it take for an honest person give up a little privacy for a so-called "good cause" to add up to no privacy at all?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
link no longer works.

The story must now be in the archives.

However, it looks like you must have an account to allow you to access it. Here is what I was able to access:

Pawnshops react to Pasadena police warning about gold trade
Author:    Brian Day and Brian Charles, Staff Writers
Date: January 10, 2011
Publication: Pasadena Star-News (CA)

PASADENA - Pawn shop owners in the city described a police warning about gold sales as business as usual and insist that when it comes to precious metals - they aren't selling "hot" commodities.

Crown City Loan and Jewelry's Todd Robinson admits that as gold prices continue to rise, more of the precious metal has come through the store.

And now, he and his staff must be more diligent.

"Even though the demand is ...

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »
Yes, it looks like the article was moved or taken down.  I don't have a subscription, but I looked at one of the articles at the link kiteflyer provided, which is what my post commented on.  I went back later and couldn't find the aritcle.  However, I did copy a portion that was buried in the article that I sent to some friends and which my comment was based on.  Here it is:

"In July, the Milwaukee Common Council voted to require all gold-buying shops to electronically submit the seller's name and photo to police, along with a photo of the items sold. Last fall, Maryland passed a similar measure and on Oct. 1 will require buyers to have a fixed location. Last year, Florida started requiring mail-in gold-buying companies to put sales information on a database accessible to law enforcement. "

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
By the way,

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves”.  ~ William Pitt

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
But there is a way to track it. Engelhard and Pamp Suisse have serial numbers on each bar. The Pamp bars are sealed in tamper-proof plastic so if the seal's broken question it.

I personally have all mine inventoried with serial numbers recorded (of the bars/rounds that have them stamped) and the local coin dealers/pawn shops know me. If someone did rip me off, I'd send out an e-mail alert to the shops and it wouldn't be long before I got my bars/rounds back.