Author Topic: Turkey Season is here  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
Turkey Season is here
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
Spring is here and for you reading this it is probably the long awaited turkey season! First day in TN starts tomorrow and I will be out there.  I know MS season started three weeks ago and boy am I ready. Post some pictures of this years success, share some stories, and give some grear/call advice.

My Gear:
1. Bug Tamer leafy camo: It works really well but the mask will get in your way of vision. I hate having any obstruction in my vision. It is light weight and really will keep the mosquitos off where it covers. Sends them to your hands and face if you dont have the face mask down.
2. ThermaCell: This works. Get one. I was a skeptic but wow! Mosquito repellent.
3. Deep woods off: Still got to ward off ticks.
4. Nitro ammo: This is custom ammo. It is pricy but it added on 20 yards to my pattern. WORTH IT. I have missed too many turkeys because of 10 yards. http://www.nitrocompany.com/
5. Primos Ole' Betsy Slate: I know what you are thinking. Cheap. Yes it is, but I bought a woodhaven striker that costs about as much as the slate and stricker package and it sounds a million times better. No since in spending $60 or more on this kind of call unless you just want to.
6. Primos Wet Box: Box call that you do not have to chalk and works wet. It sounds great. Awesome!
7. Mouth calls: I am terrible at these, but I have called up a ton of turkeys. They think I am a raspy old hen. Get one or 5 and practice.
8. 12 GA Browning BPS 28inch barrel: It is too heavy but it is all I have. Multipurpose for all seasons.
9. NTF Turkey Vest: I had a gift card and went all out on the vest. It has compartments for calls and a cushy pad. Love it!
10. Spandex camo gloves and face mask: You need some gloves go light weight as it gets hot.

Ask if you have questions. I love this season!

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: Turkey Season is here
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
I'm hoping to go Turkey hunting for the first time this year, I have a friend with 40 acres and a stream where they like to gather at. Our season opens on April 15th here in WA so I still have 2 weeks to go. The weather is much cooler here...no bugs yet. Will probably be in the 40-50 degree range.

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
Re: Turkey Season is here
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
I'm hoping to go Turkey hunting for the first time this year, I have a friend with 40 acres and a stream where they like to gather at. Our season opens on April 15th here in WA so I still have 2 weeks to go. The weather is much cooler here...no bugs yet. Will probably be in the 40-50 degree range.
Lucky! Bugs are already out here. I have found 2 ticks on me.
You will love the hunt. Much more active than deer hunting.