Author Topic: sling shot help.  (Read 7576 times)

Offline outdoorwolfsurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
sling shot help.
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
after seeing all the possable mods for a sling shot like the sling bow and the sling bowfishing mod i want to get one and try them out but dont know which one to get or where to get one cheap becides wal mart becuse i dont shop there also is there any legal aspects i should be aware of in my state, LA

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: sling shot help.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
I  would say stare with a simple marksman, crosman, or beeman in the $5 to $15 dollar range would be a good start IMHO

I like the one with a folding arm support.

No idea of any law in LA

Not shopping at wally world should not be a problem.  I see them in hardware stores, even grocery stores.  There is also the online option

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
I've seen models with a tapered rubber band. These supposedly have a quicker snap to them. Hood's woods has a lot of literature/vids on sling shot survival, might be worth becoming a supporting memeber for the discount and picking them up if you're super interested.

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
 :)thanks for the help i found one for 10 on canteenshop.com now im looking to find a wisker biscit that can be zip tied to the sling to make the sling bow mod

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
You can get them at Wallmart if you're into that sort of thing. They also will have zip ties. :>

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
the gun dealer i know had some over draw ,wicked braced super slings @ 27. FRN's.
green and brown, we shot marbles around the steel shop , WOW bad thing could happen.
i think he could order arrows for them.
  I bought the girls 2 little small and cheep sling shots,there not hitting anything yet but its fun to watch.
I'll ask him if he has any more .

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »
When hunting small game (i.e. squirrels or rabbits) with a sling shot, I am assuming that you should aim for the head. Is that correct? Is there a time to aim for the body, other than a light hit to scare an animal off?

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
from what iv heard i think its like a deer kill but im not an expert

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Head shot is best, rib shot or heart kills doesnt hert any meat . Neck shoot a deer only if you can brake the neck.
If you hit a cat in the middle with one of those supper slings ,well it would turn them inside out.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:24:06 AM »
I think I'm going to do a little experimentation this weekend with the slingbow mod that Dave Canterbury did. I'm pretty good with a slingshot and I want to know what I can do with an arrow. I'm waffling on whether or not I'll buy a new slingshot or just buy some new bands for mine.

Offline JoeTerry

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »
I built a sling bow like what Dave Canterbury showed on his videos, and I found that is shoots really low. (Or if you are holding your sling sideways like most that means to your left.) The whiskerbiskit is too low in the fork and angles my arrows down. I might have the wrong brand of sling shot. (Don't have it on me, and even then my father gave it to me a couple of years ago) It's an easy fix you just need to find some way to get the whiskerbiskit to fit higher up on the fork of your sling shot.

Just my experience. Once I find amethod to bring it up I'll let you know what I built and how it worked.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
I fashioned a arrow rest out of a wire coat hanger.  it was easily installed and removed in the field so I could change between shot and arrow.   

Remember, if you are using a whisker biscuit or an arrow rest more like mine, a sling shot is only going to deliver a fraction of the power of even a light bow. 

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
   Im headin for gander before work today cause wally world has no biscuit, but i did get the slingshot fo 6.99

Offline Ironsides

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »
Just watched video on skinning a squirrel. Looks like having a slingshot in your BOB a good thing. quiet shots at squirrels and rabbits

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
Its to bad they dont make take down carbin arrows.
they shure cut less wind , and go alot deeper.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »

Offline mossyback

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
Great video, thanks for sharing. Goes to show that you don.t always need high tech. Just caring a little bit of rubber with you and you are ready, as there is plenty of forks any place that has trees and ammo can be found most anywhere.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
And for the completely insane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSU1jQoGIqo#ws
This guy has the definitive slingshot channel on Youtube. MUST watch viewing if you're interested in slingshot technology.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »
found a bigger one

http://youtu.be/u2-od4n5Xl0

;D ;D

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
This is an awesome thread. I've got two slingshots I used to play around with as a kid, but now this brings it into the adult realm of fun. I am totally going to buy the black rubber for my slingshots.