Author Topic: Emberlit Stove Review  (Read 1609 times)

Offline jvoorhees

• Prepper
Emberlit Stove Review
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
I recently purchased the Emberlit Stove from the TSP Gear Shop.  And I am thoroughly impressed.

It started with amazingly fast service from the Gear Shop.  The stove I ordered was shipped the day I ordered it and was at my house before I knew it.  I am extremely happy with the Gear Shop and will be a many time repeat customer.

The Emberlit Stove come in separate pieces and is very lightweight and compact.  It could easily fit in any pack without any noticable weight or space.  Assembling the stove for use is very quick and easy.  I had the advantage of watching the video a few days prior so I knew exactly what to do.  But I could imagine that even without watching that, anyone could figure it out in a few minutes.

Lighting the fire is even easier than getting a plain old campfire going.  Simply load in some leaves, pine needles, or like material followed by a handful of twigs.  There is no need to spend any time arranging the sticks and such like using the tee-pee or log cabin approach to fire building.  The stove itself provides the structure and all you need to do is shove it in.

Once you have enough burnable material in place, simple light a match and light the bottom through any of the air holes or door.   It'll light up pretty quick.  Give it a moment to settle and place several larger sticks in feeding through the door.  Then as the big sticks burn, simple continue to feed then into the fire.

I tested the stove by boiling a small pot of water.  With the top on, I had the water boiled in around 5 minute.  In all, it probably took me 10 total minutes to collect firewood, setup the stove, get the fire going, and bring the water to a boil.

Clean up was a very quick and easy process.  Since only the end of the sticks are burning, just pull them out of the fire and hit it against the ground a few times.  There are just a handful of coals left in the stove.  I dumped them out and was able to use the water from that one pot to instantly put them out.  It did take about 10 minutes for the metal stove to cool down enough to disassemble. (I sped it up with a little water)

Using the stove was an extremely quick and easy way to cook with a small pot.  The only downside I can see is that it is a little small and I would be nervous cooking on it with a large pot.  But then again, it is probably slightly larger and more stable than most of the camping stoves on the market.  Still, I'd love to see a larger model that could accomodate a larger pot.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed.  The Emberlit Stove is definitely worth the price.  And a must have in every single camping pack.  Infact, I am buying several more and think every pack should have at least two.  Cause two is one and one is none. 

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
Re: Emberlit Stove Review
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I was considering getting one of these, but I was concerned how much the sheet metal would corrode with each usage.  Can you speak to that a little bit?  Thanks again.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »
They are made from stainless steel. Depending on which grade it is, corrosion shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »
Yay! I'm glad you liked everything! :)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I was going to order one, but didn't get to prior to them selling out.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »
I ordered more last week, fritz! They're supposed to be here ASAP. The second they arrive, they're going back in the shop for sale!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
The stoves are back in the store!

Offline jvoorhees

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I was considering getting one of these, but I was concerned how much the sheet metal would corrode with each usage.  Can you speak to that a little bit?  Thanks again.

I have only had it for a week.  And only used it once just long enough to boil some water.  So I don't I can speak to its longevity yet.

From the one time use, it did stain and change color a bit.  But I would expect that with any metal.  I also can't imagine it will last forever.  But my gut in using it is that it will last a long, long time.  And well long enough to get your money's worth.

Offline nwmanitou

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the review. Yeah, I overbuilt that stove. I intend for it to last.  i

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
You had me at the sizzle of the bacon, i'm sold :P

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
The video review I saw was good - good design on the stove - and would be a good addition to any portable kit.

While I like the bacon chewy - I prefer there to  be a bit more meat on the bacon versus the style they use in cheap pork & beans.

Now fry that bacon up first, add a touch of the grease to the eggs and then you have a good meal. 

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Sister Wolf - Any idea when there will be some more stoves in stock? I could use some more bacon in my life.

Also, this would be sooo sweet with a custom TSP ant-emblem cut into the side instead of the usual holes!  8)  Just saying...

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
The Emberlit stoves are back in the store as of about 30 seconds ago! :) Enjoy!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »
Got it this time, thanks! Looking forward to it's arrival.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »
On my blog (TraceMyPreps.com) I did a post/review of the Emberlit Stove. This is the first product review I've done. I am really impressed with the Emberlit Stove (other than one minor issue) & consider it a great addition to my BOB.

Here's a link to my review of it: http://tracemypreps.com/2011/10/12/product-review-emberlit-stove/