Author Topic: L.L.Bean/Eton Hand crank FR-400 Radio REVIEW...  (Read 2226 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
L.L.Bean/Eton Hand crank FR-400 Radio REVIEW...
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
L.L.Bean/Eton Hand crank FR-400 Water Resistant
AM/FM/TV1/TV2 Weather Receiver W/LED light & Cell Phone Charger
REVIEW:

I was over at a friend’s house the other day and low and behold what did I spy sitting on the countertop, that’s right an emergency hand cranked radio.  Upon closer examination, I could see it was one of the more “feature packed” units that are the most desirable. 

Water Resistant: (meaning light rain or possibly a drooling toddler) but I’m sure it would fry just like any other electronic item if totally submerged in water. 

AM Radio:  Who listens to AM radio anymore???  Well.. I do, and so should you.  From where I live in Birmingham, AL., I can regularly hear AM radio stations such as WSM in Chicago, and WGOO in Nashville, so AM has got the range.  This unit has an analog tuner, and although I would prefer a digital, it seemed to work fine and was fairly sensitive to the further away and weaker stations.  I also prefer to use the earphone jack when searching the dial for stations as I can hear the weaker signals better AND, the tiny earphone speakers do not draw as much power as the single larger built-in speaker.

FM Radio:  Well, we all know what’s there and it’s no different with this unit except no favorite “pre-set” button capabilities.  Tuner in FM mode was smooth and sensitive.  One of my local rock favorite stations is Rock 99.5 in Birmingham, AL.  That .5 is sometimes a bummer to try and get an exact hit on with an analog tuner, but this unit had no problem.

TV1/TV2 Band:  Well, was useful, but if the Gvmnt ever decides on which date to take the analog TV signal digital, then we loose the ability to listen to them on an analog radio as well.  And that would also be the case with this radio.

Weather Band Receiver:  My locale is not mountainous, but we are “very” hilly and it affects the weather band in varying degrees depending on which side of the hill you are.  This unit was able to tune in more NOAA stations than my auto-tune sets much to my surprise.  I think it was the fact that I got a “hit” on every station, rather than on just the stronger ones with my auto-tune.  And sometimes a weak signal is better than no signal at all.

LED Light:  Twin white LED’s were bright and strong even after only a minute of cranking on the dynamo, and there was a single flashing red LED for emergency signaling.

Cell Phone Charger:  Although I was not able to actually try this feature out due to the lack of the owner not being able to find the small bag of adapters that come with the unit (owner error, not manufacturer, although a tether bag or internal storage would have prevented that problem) I’m sure it would have worked as intended.  Now whether you would have to crank for 10 minutes or ten hours to fully charge a cell phone is unknown, but I think the idea is to be able to give you enough cell phone juice to be able to make a short emergency call.

Although of an ALL PLASTIC construction, what isn’t these days?  The unit felt solid and secure including the plastic hand crank and knob assy.  And unless dropped on a hard surface, I’m sure it will give many years of good service.   The hand crank assy was easy to turn and relatively quite in it’s operation.  In all, I probably cranked on the little sucker for ten minutes or so and was quite pleased with its operation.

All of the switches were positive and easy to use with bare hands.  Although due to the small size of some of the switches, use with gloved hands might be more difficult.  Back panel layout is simple, common and clean with connections for A/C adapter, Cell Phone Charger, battery access, earphone jack (all with a single flip over protective cover btw) and the metal telescopic antenna.

All in all, I’d give it an 8 out of 10!

Tim.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Michael Masse

Re: L.L.Bean/Eton Hand crank FR-400 Radio REVIEW...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
Hey thanks for the review.  I am looking to purchase a unit along these lines and this one sounds pretty good.  Just did a google search and they run about $59.99.

Not sure if LL Bean still sells it but they are all over the place with out the Bean sticker.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »
Hey thanks for the review.  I am looking to purchase a unit along these lines and this one sounds pretty good.  Just did a google search and they run about $59.99.

Not sure if LL Bean still sells it but they are all over the place with out the Bean sticker.

And that's all it is Michael J, a sticker.  LLB is along the same lines as Craftsman, as in they don't actually make ANY of the products that bear their name/sticker.  And although some of the LLB products are very "gimmicky", I figure there was a LLB buyer who looked the product over real good before the sticker went on.  The Eton brand name has been around for quite a while and they have many different models that are similar to this one which is why I did the review.  Hope you find the one that suits your needs best!

Tim.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
==========================

$50.00

Voyager

Dynamo & Solar Powered Radio with all the Dream Features.

THIS UNIT KICKS BUTT!

A perfect radio for emergency or daily listening. it has a built-in high quality AC type brushless hand crank generator. The solar panel powers the radio by itself and charges the built-in batteries. To catch the sunlight, the solar panel is tiltable. On the other side of the solar panel is a 5 LED reading lamp. The radio also has a multi-function LED flashlight.

The radio is designed to charge many electronic items. It has a USB plug that can connect with many standard USB enabled gadgets like iPod & cellphones (includes 6 tips).

The 7 Band Weather radio will alert you when a disaster comes.

Specifications:

6 Sources of Power:
1. Dynamo Cranking Power: 120 turns per minute cranking will power the built in Ni-MH battery pack with strong current and voltage.
2. Solar Panel Power: Under the direct sunlight, the solar panel will power the radio.
3. AA Batteries: You can use 3 normal AA batteries.
4. The built-in Ni-MH battery pack will run the radio for over 12 hours when fully charged.
5. AC adaptor 3.5 mm jack. (Adaptor not included)
6. Charge from a computer via USB port.

Radio Reception

1. AM: 520-1717 KHz
2. FM: 88.00- 108.00 MHz
3. SW1: 3.20-9.00KHz
4. SW2: 9.00- 22.00KHz

Weather Band: 7 standard bands for all stations, PLL crystal control circuit for stable reception, plus Weather Alert

Include:

1. 6 Cellphone Tips
2. Earphone
3. USB Cord
http://www.survivalenterprises.com/news.php

survival enterprises has this raido for 50.00

cheaper than dirt has the radio for 59.00

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LOW558-1.html

this will be my next radio