Author Topic: 1/4th of water in upper chamber of big berky doesnt drain through the filters  (Read 4822 times)

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
I just got a big berky with 2 black elements and 2 fluoride elements.  I put everything together as per the instructions.  I filled the top chamber and about 75% of the water filtered through, but the rest is staying in the top indefinitely.  I read the note about it slowing down significantly when the water level in the lower chamber gets up to the fluoride filters so I drained it and waited.  The water is still in the top chamber hours later.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
Did you "prime" the black filters first?

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
I did what the directions said.  Used the little priming button and held it against my faucet with the water on.  I thought it was kinda hard to tell if it was weeping with water dripping from above around the priming button. I held them both there for several minutes. 

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
I disassembled and tried the priming process again.  At first, I was still frustrated with the results, but then I filled the inside of the filter with water and blew into it. Water and then air came rushing through the filter.  Of course the idea was to remove the air from the filter, so put it back on the faucet and it sweat water much better this time.  I just refilled it with the re-primed filters in place.  I will report back later if re-priming fixed my problem or not.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
At first, it appeared that the last 25% was still going to stay in the top. The first 75% went pretty quick, I drained the lower reservoir and waited a few hours and it didn't seem like anything was happening.  I left it over night and now only a tiny fraction is left in the top.  I guess there just isn't enough head when to push the water through the black element once the water gets down to that 25% remaining region.

Does this seem to be operating correctly?

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
I would say yes. On mine there is always about a 1/4 of an inch left in the top due to the fact that the elements are suspended on top of their connecting screws.

One other thing; After some use I have had mine stop about 1/3 of the way down due to being caked with particulates. In this case, just repeat the priming steps and you will actually see the contaminates pushed out. After 6 months of city water, mine actually smoked! :o

Once I re-primed and cleaned them, they worked 100% again.

Enjoy the safe drinking water! Great feeling isn't it?!?!?!

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Thanks for all your help here PA prepared, as the filters should filter all the water just above where the plastic starts where the water drains out.

theberkeyguy

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
I am having the same issue.  I primed and then re-primed.  I haven't tried PA's suggestion but will report back if it woks.

annestacey

I'm having this same problem.  I primed the filters but then I had another issue with one of the little black plugs not fitting the hole correctly so most of my water leaked out through the hole without being filtered.  I had to contact the company and then wait almost 2 weeks to have another plug delivered.   So maybe the filters need to be re-primed after just sitting there dry for all that time?  I don't know but I'll try re-priming them.

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
I'm having this same problem.  I primed the filters but then I had another issue with one of the little black plugs not fitting the hole correctly so most of my water leaked out through the hole without being filtered.  I had to contact the company and then wait almost 2 weeks to have another plug delivered.   So maybe the filters need to be re-primed after just sitting there dry for all that time?  I don't know but I'll try re-priming them.

After cleaning and priming my filters work fine.  I guess they just needed a break in period.   As far as the black plugs....they were a pain to get in but once they are in they worked fine for me.   Almost grabbed the drill at one point to open up the holes up a bit...

annestacey

ok I put in the new plug, re-primed the filters and now it's working great!  All of the water filters into the bottom chamber and I now have 3 big containers of water in the fridge.  I haven't tasted the water yet but I used some to make my coffee this morning.   I'm looking forward to producing lots of water so I can stop buying it.