Author Topic: How to dehydrate and store food PART 1  (Read 31332 times)

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
Re: How to dehydrate and store food PART 1
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:15 AM »
You know where I can get those exact type of jars she is using???

Got that same dehydrator and I love it.... ;D

Michael Masse

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
has anyone been dehydrating pineapple.  My wife has been doing so for the last month of so and man it is good stuff.  Kind of hard to store for long though because we chow it down to fast.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
Good info Hraz, thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »
Great post +1.

Now, I know what I want to get next!   ;)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
Awesome!  I look forward to watching that when I get home.  I can't watch Youtube at work, it is filtered.    :'(

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »
Thanks for posting...I've been watching and waiting to find out about storing dehydrated meat.

Offline kimrpeterson

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »
I have been drying meats, fruits and vegetables for about 20 years now.  The original book I purchased on drying foods is still the best.  It's title is "How to Dry Foods" by Deanna DeLong.  I use an American Harvest dehydrator which you can research on nesco.com.  I store most of my dried foods in the freezer for longer storage.  I dry all my meals for backpacking and hiking.  Vegetables are easy to re-hydrate and add to rice or pasta for a light weight backpacking meal.  Jerky is always a hit. You can make jerky out of game meats (deer, elk, antelope, etc).  Fish can also be dried using a brine or dry cure.     

Cabindreamer72

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
Hi..Thanks for the link..I have never done it but would like to try..
Here are a few others I have found interesting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE&feature=PlayList&p=42E61CA40287BCD1&playnext=1&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-qfVsZxcs&feature=related

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Kim...do you dehydrate cooked ground beef?  I had some ground beef in the freezer that was getting freezer burnt and I took it out and cooked it then dehydrated it.  I put it back into the freezer as I don't have a decent food sealer yet.  I'm just wondering if it was cooked and vacuum sealed, would it be ok to leave on the shelf?
Thanks
Cathy

Offline kimrpeterson

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Kim...do you dehydrate cooked ground beef?  I had some ground beef in the freezer that was getting freezer burnt and I took it out and cooked it then dehydrated it.  I put it back into the freezer as I don't have a decent food sealer yet.  I'm just wondering if it was cooked and vacuum sealed, would it be ok to leave on the shelf?

I have never heard of anyone drying cooked ground beef.  The only way I have dried ground beef is uncooked with a special jerky press.  This turned out ok, but I prefer slicing meat into strips for drying.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »
So far I've just used the cooked dehydrated ground beef is in soups.  We add just a small handful to a pot of water along with other dried veggies, noodles, and boullion and let it simmer long enough to soften the veggies (about 20 minutes or a little more) and you have a nice pot of soup!

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »
As soon as the pineapple are done, I'm going to steam blanch a mess of mustard greens and put them in the dehydrator.  I've tried to do research regarding the greens and have come up with mixed results, so this will be an experiment.  If anyone is interested I'll post the results.  I figure I could use the flakes in soups and stews for added flavor and nutrition.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
sneauball, how did the greens turn out?  I just took out some green and yellow peppers (chopped up) and some sliced tomatoes and added them to my veggie mix.  The tomatoes I had sliced far too thinly so next time I'll remember to slice a little thicker and use tomatoes that aren't so ripe!

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
i can't wait to suck the moisture from my tomatoes this summer ;D

the greens came out better than expected.  I steam blanched them for a few minutes, layed them on the trays and they stayed in about four hours.  they kept their color, did not stick to the trays, and did not crumble when i took them out.  i stored them in food saver bags and i could almost put the bags in a file cabinet!  i tasted them, check.  i even put a leaf in a bowl of water and the texture was like the steamed ones. 

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
I did a bunch of apples, and wanted some lemon juice or pineapple juice to keep them from turning brown.

I opened a can of canned pineapple, and though, what the hay, I will give it a try.

Good stuff!

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »
you guys got me motivated.
Just pulled out my Ronco Dehydrator (bought last year at a yard sale for $2 and have put some bananas and peach slces on it.. A lazy Saturday here at the stead. Gonna cvlean up the Jack Lalanne juicer also and play a little today. Bought that one for $3 from the same older lady here in the neighborhood.

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »
tinny has a good vid on ground beef ( part 2 )

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »
So, do you have to blanch vegetables before dehydrating?  I didn't think you had to. 

Pokethis

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
I haven't watched the videos yet so forgive me if this is an uneducated question.  I would like to use my oven to dehydrate rather than buying a dehydrater.  Is that a viable option?

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
So, do you have to blanch vegetables before dehydrating? 

yes. 
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/FOODNUT/09308.html
Pretreating vegetables by blanching in boiling water or citric acid solution is recommended to enhance the quality and safety of the dried vegetables. 
Blanching helps slow or stop the enzyme activity that can cause undesirable changes in flavor and texture during storage. Blanching also relaxes tissues so pieces dry faster, helps protect the products vitamins and color and reduces the time needed to refresh vegetables before cooking. In addition, research studies have shown that pretreating vegetables by blanching in water or citric acid solution enhances the destruction of potentially harmful bacteria during drying, including Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella species and Listeria monocytogenes.

I haven't watched the videos yet so forgive me if this is an uneducated question.  I would like to use my oven to dehydrate rather than buying a dehydrater.  Is that a viable option?
It is, but the temp has to be low.  Not sure how low. this might help:
http://www.i4at.org/surv/dryguide.htm

i just watched episode 1 today and I couldn't stop. this lady is great, with her wonderful kitchen gadgets. 
my little foodsaver looks so wimpy now :-\
i can't stop thinking about dehydrating my amaranth greens...

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
Yes, but depending on the energy efficiency of your oven it could cost you a lot more in the long run. I used to use my oven, but now that I have to purchase my own stove fuel it made sense to invest in a dehydrator. I snapped up a refurbished Excalibur series on eBay for 150$ or so, which including its energy use pays for itself in a harvest. I'm still going to build a solar dehydrator though, Jack made it sound too appealing to pass up. In fact wire it up to a battery and a small solar panel and it is even cheaper!

If you have your heart set on oven dehydrating though well it is all quite simple, if fussy, process. Ovens require that you rig up a fan to really get efficient dehydration of anything with high moisture or heft. If you are just drying out leaves and such it's pretty much set and forget but if you are looking to get say berries dehydrated it requires a bit of watchfulness and tending to get them to dry right. I still recommend getting some screen pads to put into your oven as paper towels and cloth never seemed to do the job for me or the produce stuck to the liners. YMMV though as I always say.

Weigh your options and decide what works best for you. If you have central air conditioning running your oven in the summer will spike your energy bill unless you shut it off, if you don't have that luxury be prepared to have one hot kitchen for days on end. Since you have to leave the oven open a crack for air to circulate so you have warm air blowing through your kitchen at all times. Make sure to log how long things take to dry out so that you can set timers for it in the future, there's charts online but every oven is different and altitude really has an impact on drying times. Lastly, if your kitchen is enclosed by doors and has a window, seal it off and crack that window open. If you don't mind the heat then then the oven air won't be a problem.

Have fun dehydrating!

Michael Masse

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
It would be well someones time to search Craigslist or visit the local Goodwill stores for a dehydrator.  I have seen a few in my neck of the woods.  Also been scoring big time on canning jars at my Goodwill store.

Also picked up a great Rival brand rice cooker at the Goodwill we already have one but for a couple bucks I figured a back up couldn't hurt.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline Mrs. Miniver

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
Well, I am now in day four of dehydrator heaven, and so far, it's been a very successful and easy process.  The final product has been very high quality, and I've been amazed at the amount of food I've dehydrated in such a short amount of time.  I am even more convinced that this is the most efficient way to store food for immediate use, short term storage, and long term storage.  This should free up time for me to put some jams, jellies, pickles, salsas, etc.

I have gone through Tammy's videos on youtube (dehydrate2store) probably about 5 times and have taken lots of notes.  I found one of Mary Bell's dehydration books on clearance at Sam's for five bucks (neat stuff - she dehydrates pickles for trail mix!), and a copy of Delong's book How to Dry Food should arrive today.

I'm keeping a record of each load in a journal - just basic data - and thought I would post what I have to this point.  My dehydrator is an Excalibur, 9 tray, with the timer (well worth the extra money IMO).

1st load - drained a #10 can of pineapple slices, Dole unsweetened,  66 slices,  required only 4 trays!
              4 lbs of baby carrots, 3 trays
              7 apples, 2 trays
               135 degrees, about 15 hours

2nd load - 14 sliced bananas, 2 1/2 trays
               1 container sliced mushrooms, 1 tray
               135 degrees,  mushrooms done overnite,  bananas took several more hrs.

3rd load - 9 lbs frozen corn, 1 lb. per tray
               125 degrees, 12 hours  (This smells soooo good while it's dehydrating!)

Peaches are in there right now - will let you know how they come out.  I will post some pics later if anyone is interested. Storage will be in vacuum-packed quart jars for immediate use and then I will start packing the extra in mylar bags for long term use.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
dehydrator heaven indeed.

i'd like to see pics and include your Excalibur as well.  I feel the need to drool :)

i just prepped some bok choy for dinner later and decided to throw the greens in the dehydrator instead of the compost heap.  I suppose I've been dehydrating greens b/c I rather eat them later than sooner!

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
I want to get the Excalibur!  They sell factory refurbished ones without the timer, but I can just buy an extra digital timer to plug it into and I think that will take care of it.  My husband's got me on hold with it right now, but it's on my list.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
I want to get the Excalibur!  They sell factory refurbished ones without the timer, but I can just buy an extra digital timer to plug it into and I think that will take care of it.  My husband's got me on hold with it right now, but it's on my list.
That's the one I picked up on eBay. They stated that it would have scratches or dents that would not affect performance but mine has no scratches or dents at all. Just looks like one someone returned and whatever needed to be repaired on it is invisible to the naked eye. Well worth the price. I'll post pictures when I am done unpacking next week, then sneauxball can drool away.  ;)

Offline smittymojoe

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 01:01:17 AM »
Very interesting post. Mrs. Miniver I would really like to see any pictures you might have. Thanks for the great information.

smitty