Author Topic: MRE Review  (Read 11118 times)

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
MRE Review
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
I purchased a case of MRE meals from Cheaper Than Dirt.  They are normally $69.97, but were on sale last month for $60 (plus shipping). 

The individual packages say, "A Pack - Ready Meal".  It also said, "Distributed by Ameriqual Group, LLC, Evansville, IN 47110".  There are twelve meals per case.

Wifey and I had one for lunch today - splitting everything between the two of us.  Everything was really good and we were very impressed by how well everything tasted. 

Each meal has over 1400 calories. 

The one we ate was Southwestern Style Chicken with Black Beans and Rice.  It was 1440 calories.

This meal included:
The Main Dish - with a heater.
One Oatmeal Cookie.
Vanilla Dairy Shake - a powder that you mix with water.  We used room temperature water, but next time we'll use chilled water.
One package of Peanut M&M's.
Peanut Butter.
Two Large Crackers.
Lemonade Flavor Drink Mix - I mixed with a pint of cold water.
One Plastic Spoon.
One Moist Towelette.
One Package of Black Pepper.
One Package of Salt Water to activate the heater.

We put the main dish package in the heater and added the salt water.  It said it takes about twelve minutes to heat the meal.  While we waited for that, we ate the rest of the meal.  Everything was really good.  We split everything so we each had about 700 calories and it seemed like plenty for lunch.  If one person was eating the entire meal, we think it would have been plenty for dinner.

Overall, we were really impressed and will probably buy more.  They would be great for an emergency situation, camping, or any time you want a hot meal but don't have access to a kitchen or dishes and utensils.

VeggieDog

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: MRE Review
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
+1 VeggieDog. That was a great review... thanks for sharing your experiences.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
I have some old MRE's that I need to eat. I will post my review also.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
If you ask people that had to live off them for any length of time, they'll tell you about a friendly enemy thats not that bad.

It all depended on what came out of the box while you were standing there, as to what you could get for it..lol

Some are really good, some are terrible. The cheese sauce packets can get you about anything you want in a group of hungry people. Franks are good, Chili mac will KILL you..lol, and Clam chowder sucks, Pasta with sausage is my favorite but beef ravioli is king.

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:10 PM »
In the Canadian military, the corned beef hash was the most despised meal. Mind you, I loved them so I always had as much as I could eat of those. I still like them today.

Offline brewboss

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
I dont beieve that was a military issue mre. Ours do not come with water and they normally have more food in them

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
Nice review. I've been thinking about getting some.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
I had spaghetti and meat sauce for one lunch friday and then on saturday I ate the frankfuerters and potato sticks. Both meals were first generation from 1993. Both were fine and tasted good. The mars bar, candy, apple jelly, and oatmeal bar were all bad and I threw them away. The old heaters worked great and both meals were nice and hot in about 10 minutes.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:19 PM »
Yea, just wanted to add that the apple jelly is flammable...lol....just saying.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
Yea, just wanted to add that the apple jelly is flammable...lol....just saying.
how did you determine this? what is in them?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Used to be the peanut butter was flammable, also.

Gotta love it.

The Professor

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
what is in those things to make them flammable? alcohol as a preservative/pain killer?

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
the chicken with noodles, and beef roast were good, wife never had an mre so the other week she asked me what the were, a quick drive to the war surplus store later she new what they were, she was impressed, our meals included an apple ranger bar crackers 1 with cheese spread, 1 with chocolate peanut butter, 1 had m&ms, 1 with orange drink powder 1 with hot cocoa powder, 1 had raisins, one had a chocolate power bar, she got a kick out of the accesory pouch (awe that bottle of tobasco sauce is so cute) (her words not mine) all in all now when we go past the surplus store she asks if we can stop.  She compares them to grab bags (you never know what youll find inside, it only tells what the entree is
in short I think that when we get back in the money we will be ordering many cases of them
 just a question though how are the civilian versions if you have tried them?
we have only had surplus models not the other brands

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
what is in those things to make them flammable? alcohol as a preservative/pain killer?
Not sure about the jelly, but peanut butter is very high in fat which I'm sure leads to it's flammability.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
I have no idea what makes the flammable. I saw a sergeant do it one night and was amazed, and my stomach hurt..lol

I love the civilian A-Packs. I think they are just about the best MRE I have ever eaten. I have 5 cases myself. They are so sodium rich, and the flavors come through a lot better.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
i have noticed that the civilian ones are often cheaper, but i have read on a website that their quality is not up to par with the war surplus ones, but if they are close i would probably go with the civilian models, the military are hard to find outside of ebay

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
I prefer the military version over the civilian version, because alot of the civilians versions lack the heaters.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
the heater problem isnt so much of a problem for our needs, the suplus store near us sells the heaters cant remember the price but they were in bundles of 12, they also had paracord 100 foot rolls for 7.99, but thats another matter entirely, the wife looks at mre's now the way kids look at crackerjack its kind of entertaining :rofl:

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
Now the Ready Meal A-pack have a heater, and they are good ones. I have had other civilian MREs that have heaters that sucked, and barely made the food warm, but these new ones we got will get the food so hot it burns you. They also don't smell like I remember the old warmers did.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
we carry sterno in our bob's and other fire starters, i see it like this we bring water to a boil to heat the meals, then use the boiled water to make a hot beverage, is the food in the civilian versions as good and have as much goodies in them(ranger bars, or m&m's crackers etc)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
Here is an example of one in my top box:

Beef Stew
   Oatmeal cookie
   Vanilla Shake Mix
   M&M's
   Peanut Butter
   Crackers
   Lemonade mix
   Pepper
   spoon
   wet wipe
   Heater pouch w/ salt water

They pretty much all have the same extras in them. Some have plain M&M's, some have peanut M&M's. Some have fruit punch to drink, some have a spice pack instead of pepper (its dried hot sauce).

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
thanks for that run down it sounds like they are pretty generous I aprecite :D

Offline rod18cdz

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
I have no idea what makes the flammable. I saw a sergeant do it one night and was amazed, and my stomach hurt..lol

I love the civilian A-Packs. I think they are just about the best MRE I have ever eaten. I have 5 cases myself. They are so sodium rich, and the flavors come through a lot better.

I've seen people mix bug juice with it to make an improvised fuel tab, maybe you only saw half what he was doing

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
Very possible. I have never tried to light my toast on fire. You think I would have by now..lol