Author Topic: Document Package Phone Numbers  (Read 42569 times)

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
Re: Document Package Phone Numbers
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
Somthing I did not notice in the various lists of documents is a detailed work history.
Not just your resume, but all the names, addresses, etc. of everywhere you have ever worked.
Also the last known status of the company. I have a discouraging percentage which are closed, sold, vanished, etc.
If things are so bad that you can't go home, and have to get a job in another state, detailed references might be necessary.

The Social Security office can help you research this, but their fees can be tricky. IIRC, if you call them, it's free. If you go in to get a hard copy, $$.

Schools you attended, including one-shot night courses. Is the school still functioning? Who has the records?
This might be a good thing to document on-line. I use LinkedIn which basically has my school and work history in chronological order. I COULD put details of each employer in there, but I figure "US Navy" is easy enough to get in touch with.
If things are OK enough to have people checking references, then they're probably OK enough to login. Just a thought.
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
I think I am to a point in the documentation package that I feel comfortable to print and store for now.  I kind of got burned out on trying to get every little item on the packet.

But now I have what I feel is everything done that I will need.

My next step is to photo copy my certifications, marriage license, CCW, vehicle ownership, birth certificates, and other stuff like that and put them on a flash drive.  I need to find a good encryption program to use and then store them in a fire box at my parents house.

A little tip for encrypting your numbers.  These are for credit card numbers, social security numbers, debit card numbers, etc... ya know... things that I cant remember and would like to know and cant find my wallet because it was left at home.  I put a number at the beginning of the sequence of numbers for my debit card that represented the number of dummy numbers before the real numbers begun.  For instance... 432155555555555512345 The 4 at the beginning tells me that there are 4 numbers (including the first) before the real numbers begin and then at the end there is a 5.  This tells me that there are 5 dummy numbers to cut off at the end.

Also to add some extra security I put these numbers in with the mundane stuff.  Like if the heading is dental insurance numbers.  I put a few lines of numbers that was relevant to dental insurance and then the credit card in the middle.

Just an idea.
The creation of skilled gentlemen podcast stems from both the realizing fact that I want to pass knowledge down to anyone that would want to listen to me and partly because I have seen many men that act like... boys. Being raised under the shadow of both my father and my grand father made me the man I am today taking skills that was taught to me about love, life, and relationships. This is a website dedicated to such attributes and a goal to make gentlemen out of anyone that listens. http://skilledgentlemen.com

Offline Firstin Line

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
One of the most common and most likely emergencies that strike nationwide is the Power-Out disaster.  We are so accustomed to depending on digital storage that we forget that the computer, the discharged phone or other hand device, the telephone, and all other digital media will be useless for retrieving  stored emergency information.
Retrieving vital info. from your computer or printer are out of the question when you need it most.
The good old paper-and-pencil storage device is the only safe way to have vital info. available in a Power-Out emergency. The ammo. box or even a heavy plastic large-mouth container, think: Tupperware, will store your emergency info. safely.
And if possible, print it out on a laser printer, not an ink-jet.  Inkjet copies can be ruined by a drop or two of water, such as having to access it in the rain.
Good luck and hope you never need it.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 04:51:28 AM »
This is one of the most overlooked preps that is simple to create and will payout ten fold when needed.  We take for granted calling our sister, or friend across town, or out of state contact by using the auto-dial feature on our phones.  When was the last time that you actually dialed one of those numbers manually?  There has been a posting on FB going around for awhile saying something to the effect of "I have not memorized a phone number since 2001".  This is true for millions and sad as can be. 
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome

Offline jchiar

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
Anyone found a way or method of creating electronic documents and printing to small portable notebook size documents?

Anyone try using Waterproof Ink-Jet Paper from Rite in the Rain? I use their small notebooks for notes, but i want to work with something editable

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Anyone found a way or method of creating electronic documents and printing to small portable notebook size documents?

Anyone try using Waterproof Ink-Jet Paper from Rite in the Rain? I use their small notebooks for notes, but i want to work with something editable

I'm not sure what your asking?? You can easily create PDF files in Openoffice or Libre (both are free office suites). Then you can print them out with any booklet printer that handles PDFs. I use a software package thats no longer being marketed. There are other choices like PdfBooklet 3, BookletCreator, ClickBook and similar. You can often make small format booklets by being creative with the print options in your word processing software (change paper size and orientation, play with column settings). For water resistance in general laser is better than ink-jet. though there are many methods that work to enhance the water resistance of ink on paper. When I was single and living aboard my boat, I used spray on clear coat to seal my important papers. I now have a thermal lamination machine that works well (bought it at Sam's club along with a box of laminating sheets). I was happy using the clear coat but wifey wanted to "laminate" (yes she gets what she wants :O ). If you just want to create electronic documents two quick ways: 1) scan the paper documents into a computer and then create a PDF file or 2) use a digital camera to take a picture of the item and store it in a common high resolution format. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
  • When you stop learning its time to hang it up.
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »
This is something that I have overlooked as of recent and have to review and update.
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome