Author Topic: MERGED TOPICS: Foldable/Survival Rifles For A BOB/Whatever  (Read 161573 times)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: MERGED TOPICS: Foldable/Survival Rifles For A BOB/Whatever
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown yesterday. Perfect for a BOB. Now if I expected to be on foot and had a choice, I'd still carry my aR 15 and conversion kit, since I'd presumably have the AR anyway. But I do fly a lot and usually only check a handgun... or two. This will fit in my normal checked pelican case along with the handguns.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I have a sub2k with the Glock mags, its worked well for me so far.  However, I am REALLY interested in the 10/22 takedown, but I am having a hard time getting the exact length of it, broken down.   For those of you who have gotten one, what IS the size, in takedown mode?

I also hear you cannot put a folding stock on it, is this correct?

Thanks for the input

Offline Tarp

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »
However, I am REALLY interested in the 10/22 takedown, but I am having a hard time getting the exact length of it, broken down.   For those of you who have gotten one, what IS the size, in takedown mode?

I also hear you cannot put a folding stock on it, is this correct?

Thanks for the input
I bought one yesterday, here is a breakdown from "Thruthaboutguns" - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/daniel-zimmerman/new-from-ruger-1022-takedown-version/

"The 4.67-pound Ruger 10/22 Takedown is 37? long when assembled; each subassembly is less than 20 1/4? long when disassembled."

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
I measured, 20 inches for the stock/reciever and 18.5 for the barrel.

Now I want to move the front sight back and thread the barrel for a suppressor.

But maybe I'll shoot it some first and enjoy it for the summer.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Gun show in town this weekend, I may be going shopping...

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2012, 01:43:51 AM »
I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds through my S2K. Mine seems to get more reliable as I continue to shoot it.  I get a stovepipe every once in a while, but I expect that from a blowback action and they are really, really easy to clear.

I'm going to steal your plane.

;D

Offline jonesde

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Scenario-Based Strategic Survival
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »
I had a AR7 made by Henry that was a real clunker. It wasn't as durable as most any other 22.
It jammed alot, wasn't accurate, and the but-plate that holds all the stuff in the stock kept falling off. Not to mention that the barrel is plastic with a metal sleeve.
The Marlin is a far better, more durable gun. Up untill a few weeks ago, my "go to" "live in the woods" firearm was the Ruger Redhawk 44mag with a 7.5" barrel, but I landed a Savage
model 24s-a at a trapper's convention and I really like it. It's a 22lr over a 20gauge, and the shotgun barrel is even chambered for up to 3" shells. It's not the 24c, so it doesn't fold in half, but I can break it down with a regular screwdriver. It's an older model, but they're lighter anyway.
I put it in a cheap soft case and it went behind my truck seat. ;)

If you want a gun, buy a real gun. I can do the "tactical" thing too, but my model 24 has very few moving parts. You pull the hammer back, pull the trigger and it goes bang every time.

A few others mentioned this about the AR7 and I agree, especially the older ones from Henry. I've heard the newer ones (orange plastic inside the stock makes it easy to tell the different) are much better, but unfortunately I have an older one.

Mine consistently misfires (or more accurately misfeeds) when it gets dry... it seems to only like running when it's clean and slightly wet (ie a bit of lubricant sprayed with excess dabbed off).

The sights on mine are horrible... the front sight is just plastic and slides left/right with very little force... so at any decent range it's easy to miss.

That said, I've been able to use it just fine to hit rock chucks out 100' or so. But yeah... even a 100 yard shot would be pretty tough with that rifle, and if I was counting on a bang with every trigger pull I'd only use it if I had nothing else.

Offline AGT Tactical

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Gear For America's Professionals
    • AGT Tactical
Re: Survival Rifles
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
I hereby pronounce the Henry AR 7 survival rifle the single worst firearm I've ever owned!

Not only did it reliably jam with every brand of ammunition i fed it. its natural point of impact fell outside anything close to the area covered by the sights.

After sending this POS back to the factory because of the sighting issue, i was shocked to find they had replaced my polymer barrel with steel rifled insert, and given me the upgraded full steel barrel which eliminated the problem not one bit.

I traded the thinge back to the shop that originally sold it to me out of pure spite for selling it to me in the first place.

Good to know!  Thanks. 

Offline mr.emann

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »
I am so happy with this Ruger 10/22 takedown that I just bought.  It shoots great and It'll fit into my camping ruck great.  ....About 15-ish years ago I knew I wated a portable camp rifle, and my first pick was the Kel-Tec sub 9 folding rifle. it was an awesomely creative design and in a good pistol caliber too, but  it was made of thin aluminum (receiver) and disintegrated very quickly; as with every other Kel-Tec I've owned. I then had a marlin papoose which wasn't bad. It was portable, reliable and fun, but required a spanner wrench to assemble, not a show stopper, but I ended up trading it for a TC Contender. Too good of a deal to pass on. So now, I've just bought this Ruger Takedown and it's a whole new love affair. Portable, classy look and style, and so easy to assemble and take down I could only wish that it was available in other calibers like 9mm or .45 acp.....maybe even 22mag, or well anything!  I like 22LR and it's a perfect match, but it sure would be fun to get more of them in different calibers. ...cause then I'd just keep buying more of them.

nelson96

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Has anyone any experience with the Brownings BLR Takedown model?  My wife hunts with the non takedown version and we really like it.  I need to outfit my daughters and was thinking this would make a good hunting/survival rifle.

http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?id=283

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/browning-blr-takedown-review/

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
Being a gunsmith, I got tired of waiting for something to become available and I decided to fix this problem myself (back in 2006).  Starting with a Ruger 10/22, I took an old (discontinued) takedown stock and married it to a folding stock.  This is the result of that combination.

The locking mechanism on the discontinued takedown stock was made out of junk pot metal and broke after a couple years.  I've redesigned it and will be making these stocks in a few months and offering them for sale.  This is a long-time problem for the shooters who want a good .22 to throw in their pack.  Apparently the large companies (Ruger included) still haven't figured out what people actually want.  As you can see, when the rifle is completely disassembled the barrel is the longest piece.  It's a Volquartsen Bull barrel and is a real tack-driver.  The completed stock will be offered as a drop in modification (no gunsmithing required), which will fit all Ruger 10/22's, any 10/22 barrel, and will be free-floated with rails for mounting gadgets.  I'm also considering designing it with the capability to accept AR-15 grips and stocks.

Sorry for not having a picture of the new design.  I'm currently in Afghanistan so I had to put it all on hold.  Never fear!  This stock will be available sooner rather than later.

Nate
Military and civilian gunsmith

nelson96

« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Being a gunsmith, I got tired of waiting for something to become available and I decided to fix this problem myself (back in 2006).  Starting with a Ruger 10/22, I took an old (discontinued) takedown stock and married it to a folding stock.  This is the result of that combination.

The locking mechanism on the discontinued takedown stock was made out of junk pot metal and broke after a couple years.  I've redesigned it and will be making these stocks in a few months and offering them for sale.  This is a long-time problem for the shooters who want a good .22 to throw in their pack.  Apparently the large companies (Ruger included) still haven't figured out what people actually want.  As you can see, when the rifle is completely disassembled the barrel is the longest piece.  It's a Volquartsen Bull barrel and is a real tack-driver.  The completed stock will be offered as a drop in modification (no gunsmithing required), which will fit all Ruger 10/22's, any 10/22 barrel, and will be free-floated with rails for mounting gadgets.  I'm also considering designing it with the capability to accept AR-15 grips and stocks.

Sorry for not having a picture of the new design.  I'm currently in Afghanistan so I had to put it all on hold.  Never fear!  This stock will be available sooner rather than later.

Nate
Military and civilian gunsmith

That is nothing less than beautiful, nice work.  How much will it be for a full mod?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
What do you mean by a "full" mod?  I haven't figured out the price on the new stock, but I would be shocked if it was more than $300-400.  I'm aiming for the $200-250 range without making a complete turd like the discontinued version.  My goal is to build it so any guy can afford it and put it on his 10/22 on a rainy Saturday.

nelson96

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
What do you mean by a "full" mod? 

Something like what you had pictured.

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
I bought the takedown 10/22 for packing in to areas where I wanted to keep a lower profile.  It works great for that.  I put a scope on it, and every time I pack it in, reassemble it, and shoot, it keeps its zero.

Then I decided to take it to a silhouette shoot at the gun club and discovered that it does not keep zero when you heat the barrel from shooting a lot.  The small barrel heats quickly and by the end of the shoot it was 3 inches to the right and 8 inches low at 60 meters.  After the match I let it cool, and it returned to zero.

Not a show stopper for hunting, but as a backup defensive weapon this is really a problem.

UnderTheRadar

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
Nelson-I figure materials and labor should keep the price down around the couple hundred dollar range.  I'm not completely sure yet, because I suspect demand would necessitate maintaining an overhead.  I figure that I can work it out to allow a few different options (rails, no-rails, skeletonized for weight, etc.).

UnderTheRadar-I've wondered if retaining zero would be a problem with their newest takedown.  A lot of that issue comes from their locking mechanism.  The system I'm using retains zero without issues.  That's why I'm chomping at the bit to get home and finish what I started.  Oh well, I guess it's a lesson in patience.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2012, 05:36:23 AM »
what barrel is that on your 10/22 packer stock?

it would be interesting having a youtube video of it vs the new 10/22 takedown.

For me it has to do with asking yourself what is your SKSR?

that's a 10/22 with a 16 inch compact barrel. Normal shoulder bag.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »
Scottman, I assume by SKSR you're referring to the start up cost versus production demand?  It's currently a 20" Volquartsen Bull Barrel.  Though I'm designing it to accept any barrel width or length.  I'd put my design against theirs any day of the week (twice on the weekend).  I've worked in a production facility as a manual machinist, and I can attest to the fact that real innovation will never come from the R&D section of companies like Ruger.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
survival kit size restrictions. in other words, tools are often bound by the size restrictions we put on them. sub 2k in a laptop bag is handy if my SKSR is a laptop bag. Etc.

I'm looking forward to your stock!

Offline bigjim71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Left4Dead

• Prepper
  • More Patients then a Hospital.
Re: MERGED TOPICS: Foldable Rifles That Fit in a BOB or Day Pack
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
Hey, I know this isn't the firearms topic, but I this post is really about a bug out bag or day pack.

I saw a guy at the gun store buying a foldable carbine in 9mm and thought, hey, that would fit nicely in a BOB.

It's a Keltec sub 2000 in 9mm.

Here it is folded up:

And unfolded:

It takes standard Glock mags, including the 32 round one.

Here's a review of it:

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_Sub2000.htm

an excellent gun and worth every penny, i had some rails put on the fit a Streamlight TRL1, and threaded to fit a 9mm can. I NEVER travel with out it, if it have to cross state lines i use a noveske KX3 brake in stead of the can. it fits neatly in  a bag and i can carry up to 350 rounds with out notice from any

Offline Alpha_Maverick

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
Flippydidit:

I found your post when I was searching for 10/22 takedown stuff. I created this account, so I could try to PM you about it, but the forum won't let me, so I'm replying here, in hopes that you'll see it. I had the same experience with the latching mechanism breaking. Any chance you've got a prototype you need Beta tested? I would gladly pay for it, since I've already sunk $400 (bought it used on ebay, before Ruger announced their new rifle) into a packer stock that broke on me.

I already have a folding stock and accurized barrel (Nemohunter on RFC did it), and I just want the mechanism to work, so I can pack it up and go play.

Thanks for giving me hope that I don't need to buy another rifle, to get my packer stock!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
Flippydidit:

I found your post when I was searching for 10/22 takedown stuff. I created this account, so I could try to PM you about it, but the forum won't let me, so I'm replying here, in hopes that you'll see it. I had the same experience with the latching mechanism breaking. Any chance you've got a prototype you need Beta tested? I would gladly pay for it, since I've already sunk $400 (bought it used on ebay, before Ruger announced their new rifle) into a packer stock that broke on me.

I already have a folding stock and accurized barrel (Nemohunter on RFC did it), and I just want the mechanism to work, so I can pack it up and go play.

Thanks for giving me hope that I don't need to buy another rifle, to get my packer stock!

Alpha_Maverick, PM sent.

Offline DanielBoone

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »
If I had the money I  would consider a Kifaru Rambling Rifle.

http://www.kifaruarms.com/index.php/rambling-rifle/

I want one of these so bad its too bad they are way out of my price range.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:05:16 AM by Docwatmo »

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
Looks like the M6 is back - sort of. Saw these at the Chiappa booth at the SHOT Show this week. The rep said they would be shipping mid 2014.

Their M6-22 is 20 Gauge over .22 LR:

The X -Caliber® is designed for use in any condition and with any ammunition available. Originally designed with two calibers, a rifled .22 LR and a smooth bore .12 GA -, this rifle can fire up to 12 different calibers thanks to the 8 steel adapters supplied. In addition to the two original gauges, adapters allow you to shoot 8 pistol calibers ( .380 , 9 mm , .357Mag/.38SP , .40 S & W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP , .410/.45colt ) and two shotgun calibers (410 ga, 20ga), combining the flexibility of a shotgun and the power of a rifled gun.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

Looks the the stock filler is some kind of resin; the ammo is held in the stock, but there is no cover like the one on the M6 Scout. I thought the X-Caliber was a pretty cool concept and will be picking one up for sure when they're out.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
Alright gang, it's been a long time since I last updated on the takedown 10/22 stock I designed.  My apologies for the delays.  Since I've been back from Afghanistan, significant progress has been made.  I've finalized my design, found a local manufacturer with CNC capabilities, and am discussing options for a point of sale.  Within the next couple months I foresee a working prototype; after working out all the potential bugs.

From there I'll streamline the manufacturing process and begin the first production run of stocks.  All of this will be funded by yours truly, and the first stocks will be "on the shelf".

My prototype will be made out of stainless steel, but I'll likely be making the final product out of aluminum and stainless.

Besides custom colors, does anyone have any suggestions or desires that they'd like to see built into the platform?  Thank you all for your patience!

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
Just take my money now!! I give it to you gladly!!

Seriously, I'll buy one. But if I could have anything for my TD, it would be bag choices. A year ago I figured the endless ruger aftermarket would adopt TD bags as the new thing. But not much as I can see. I'm seriously thinking about going into the bag business since no one else will. :)

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
I'm sure Cartpusher would have a bag that would work well.  The longest part is going to be the barrel.  My current barrel is around 18.5 inches.  But don't let me get in the way of you starting your new bag business!   ;)

Every new opportunity is great for our community!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
Newest update on the takedown 10/22 stock I'm building.  I've had some major life changes that included starting a business, changing day jobs, and taking the online PDC by Geoff Lawton.  All of those things notwithstanding, I'm sitting down with a mechanical engineer next week to look over my design for the barrel locking mechanism.  Once that is given the green light, the prototype fabrication will begin.  I now have access to a full machine shop and any materials for this production.  Woohoo!

Great things come to those who wait.  Can't wait to roll this out!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
We ironed out a few more bugs and are moving along well now.  We have launched our crowd-funding campaign on www.Twistrate.com.  Please take a look at it if you get the time.  Here is the link:
http://www.twistrate.com/campaign/detail/3289