Author Topic: Hog Shotgunning  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Cwdrlove

• Prepper
Hog Shotgunning
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Anybody hog hunt with a shotgun? If so, are you shooting slugs or would that be overkill?

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
Re: Hog Shotgunning
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:29:06 AM »
I've not, but I imagine that might be a good choice, and would certainly provide more experience if you used your home defense shotgun.  The last hog I shot was 375 lbs, and took four .44 mag slugs into the chest before it went down.  I thought I kept missing, until after he was down and I found all the holes right where I was aiming.  It's like that have little kevlar vests under their hide.  :)

I did hear a podcast this week where someone stated that some guys are using big double rifles on them, like you would use on African game!

Good luck to you!

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
If you are not absolutely sure of where to shoot the hog, use shotgun slugs or a medium to large game rifle. Shots vital organs are better protected and placed differently than a deer and they can be very large.

Offline burbot

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »
I've hunted hogs quite a few times roughly around the around San Antonio area and in my experience if you mean using shot in the shotgun you would be absolutely nuts to use buckshot on a hog.  We've always hunted larger Feral hogs and Russian boars in open cattle country and the surrounding (unusable) brush/hill areas.  We've found the 450 Marlin bullet stuck in the vital plate instead of exiting on a 30-40 yard shot (it was a 300-350 lb hog).  If you are talking slugs, I don't see a problem.  Use the largest gun you have, those things are damn scary when wounded, especially at night.  I agree that they can be killed with a good shot from smaller calibers, but any animal that will hunt you while wounded is worth using as much knockdown power as you have.  Good luck and be safe, it's a hell of a lot of fun and good eating in my opinion.

Offline Cwdrlove

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies, this was just about slugs. I was just curious, since I've never heard or read about.