Author Topic: Tumbling Media- Corn cob vs Walnut  (Read 26083 times)

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
Tumbling Media- Corn cob vs Walnut
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
I know there are some of you with far superior knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing.  Is there any reason to go with one over the other? 

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
Re: Tumbling Media- Corn cob vs Walnut
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
I do use walnut occasionally because it seems to last longer than corn cob (really tarnished brass). Most of the time I use the washer and dryer and it works just as good with no sifting afterwords  ;)

I'll post a video later this week or early next week showing how simple it is.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
I use walnut shells because I can get a bag at petco for cheap.  The cheap corn cob that I get gets stuck in .223 brass.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
I use the corn cob... because... it's what my mentor always used.  When the tumble times begin to get longer, I add a little of the refresher stuff and it will extend the life.  I think i asked him once, his answer "it's what I've always used"

Unless you are shooting the fleas off of a knats ass and/or competitions, I would go with whatever is cheapest.  (the corn is probably GMO, so you might get mutations in your brass..... j/k)

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:36 AM »
I use a product called Lizard Litter, that we get at the local PetSmart pet store.  It's ground english walnut shells.  It's cheaper than the stuff branded as tumbler media and works great.  I put a capful of New Finish car polish in the 2 lbs of media that my tumbler takes, and stir it in good.  Makes the brass nice and shiny, the way I like it.  :)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48:53 AM »
I have used both corn cob and walnut - both work, find the corn cob is cheaper - but does not last as long.  Also I add some brass safe cleaning agents to the mixture to give it the shinny like new look.  For the most part I just use walnut as I add new material when the brass takes too long to clean.

I have heard of people using steel pellets or extruded rods to clean brass.  This media has an indefinite life span.  However, to use this media you have to add water when cleaning the brass.  The brass will come out clean and shinny both on the inside & out.     The downside is finding a method to mix the water, brass, and steel rods...some have reported to be using small cement mixers.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »
I use a product called Lizard Litter, that we get at the local PetSmart pet store.  It's ground english walnut shells.  It's cheaper than the stuff branded as tumbler media and works great.  I put a capful of New Finish car polish in the 2 lbs of media that my tumbler takes, and stir it in good.  Makes the brass nice and shiny, the way I like it.  :)

Well I'll have to try out this Lizard Litter... cheaper is good.   I guess I'll be swinging by the pet store on the way home tonight!

Question about the New Finish polish, does it contain Ammonia?  I heard somewhere on Youtube that it causes the brass to become more brittle, which doesn't help.

I have heard of people using steel pellets or extruded rods to clean brass...

Does this include steel shot for shotguns?  I think I might know where I can find some of that for free...  Would you just put it in the tumbler, or is it too heavy?

~CRCJ

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
I just took the NRA reloading class and the instructor uses rice.  Anyone else ever try this?

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Ths product description on Amazon says no ammonia.  I could not find anything on the Nu Finish site that says definitively.  I've not had a problem in using for many years.  Maybe two tablespoons is all you need.  No experience with using rice, but I bet it might make my recipes taste funny.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Finish-Care-Gift-Pack/dp/B000AS495Y

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »

Does this include steel shot for shotguns?  I think I might know where I can find some of that for free...  Would you just put it in the tumbler, or is it too heavy?
~CRCJ

It's not steel shot for shotguns - the look like small rods I think designed for this specific use.

Due to the weight of the cleaning material you have to add water to the top....Overall the total weight of water, metal, brass will require something with a bit of power to do the job right. Maybe a sidewider rotary cleaner might work, but when folks start using cement mixers it's going to be a bit too much for what most folks have.

There is I think a pre-soak phase - adding the brass to water with a bit of soap.

Here is an example photo's of before and after with what the media looks like.

http://progunfilipino.20.forumer.com/a/brass-cleaning-using-ss-media_post1606.html

some minor cons using this method

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=341829&light=

Need a video clip - found this - internet is to slow right now for me to watch it...

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tutorials

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Alrighty, so I went out to the pet shop and got some "lizard litter" thinking it was cat litter... nope, its for lizard's   :o  (Who would have thought?)   ::)

Anywho, so $7 worth is probably enough to last me the next 10 years.  I have a relatively small tumbler and don't use it too much, so that might not be best judge... But I use about 1qt of media in my tumbler, and I probably have 5 qts that I don't need yet.  Pretty good I'd say! 

The only down side to this stuff is the dust, it's pretty fine stuff.  I don't think it will cause any problems, but its just a little different than the expensive stuff.  I guess it did take quite a while before the treatment I put in there broke up too... it clumped up pretty good at first, and I had to scrape it off the bowl, but after about 15 minutes of running by itself, the clumps seemed to break up alright.

All in all, it did a fine job polishing.  If I had more money, I might try the official stuff next time, but that's a long ways off.

~CRCJ

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the review CRCJ!!!

I think I will check this stuff out myself.

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
Glad it's working out for you.  The inexpensive cost of it is why I toss it without too much thought.  Also try strips of a dryer sheet in the mix.  That really attracts the dirt that the media scrubs off.

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
Glad it's working out for you.  The inexpensive cost of it is why I toss it without too much thought.  Also try strips of a dryer sheet in the mix.  That really attracts the dirt that the media scrubs off.

Thanks for the tip. I was surprised at how well the dryer sheet picked up the dirt.

I normally use walnut and lucked out by buying out an old reloader on Craigslist. He had two 5 gallon buckets of walnut that I doubt I'll get through anytime soon.

Offline Student ant

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:56:11 AM »
I thought I'd try using rice as a polishing media and see how it worked.  The result was all the brass policed up nicely.  However with the smaller casings like 223 the rice filled the shell and had to be dug out of each one individually, this took hours.  Even some 9mm cases had to be manually cleaned out. So it works in a pinch, but as long as I can get lizard litter I'll continue just eating my rice

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »
Well update on the litter...

if you leave the lid off the tumbler, don't over-fill it and put it somewhere you don't mind the dust settling, that works pretty good as well...  Just keep the stuff dry!  It took a little bit of effort when I first treated it to get the clumps to break down, but now that it's hot outside it seems to work well.  I may put a small fan next to it next time to blow the dust away too...  You may want to run the tumbler/fan combo for a bit with the lid off it before you put anything in there to polish so you don't have any nasty stuff settling out with your dust though, just a thought. 

I tried the drier cloths, they did okay... I think letting the dust float away worked better...

~CRCJ

Offline Urban Knight

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
I just took the NRA reloading class and the instructor uses rice.  Anyone else ever try this?

i use rice but it doesn't last for long.  I use unmilled rice, not the milled one ready to cook.  The problem is that some stick inside rifle cases.  But i find it works well with pistol cases.  I also add a little car was to the mixture.  I use walnut on my rifle cases if I feel lazy but for me rice works better

Offline Urban Knight

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »
i use rice but it doesn't last for long.  I use unmilled rice, not the milled one ready to cook.  The problem is that some stick inside rifle cases.  But i find it works well with pistol cases.  I also add a little car was to the mixture.  I use walnut on my rifle cases if I feel lazy but for me rice works better

Sorry some typo errors.  I also add a little car WAX, non ammonia, into the mixture.  My apologies.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
use an used dryer softener sheet or 2 ripped into strips in with your media and it will pick up a lot of the dust and make the media last longer.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
I agree with others that the walnut shells seem to last longer.  That's what I use in my old tumbler.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

Thanks for the tip on Lizard Litter.  I'll have to try that.

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
Shoooot, I'm going to PetCo!

Offline billt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
It's not steel shot for shotguns - the look like small rods I think designed for this specific use.

Due to the weight of the cleaning material you have to add water to the top....Overall the total weight of water, metal, brass will require something with a bit of power to do the job right. Maybe a sidewider rotary cleaner might work, but when folks start using cement mixers it's going to be a bit too much for what most folks have.

There is I think a pre-soak phase - adding the brass to water with a bit of soap.

Here is an example photo's of before and after with what the media looks like.

http://progunfilipino.20.forumer.com/a/brass-cleaning-using-ss-media_post1606.html

some minor cons using this method

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=341829&light=

Need a video clip - found this - internet is to slow right now for me to watch it...

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tutorials

I switched to Stainless Steel Media and have never looked back. This is some range pickup .223 / 5.56 MM brass I found at my local club range that I ran through the Stainless Steel Media. This stuff was filthy. I used Dawn dishwashing liquid with a little Lemi-Shine and you can see the results. This stuff actually gets the brass as clean as new, unfired brass.

Offline OldDog45

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:42 AM »
I'm with BillT,
I have been using the SS pins, a RCBS sidewinder and RCBS liquid media with hot/warm water and they work great.
You have to be careful when removing the brass from the stainless steel pins, the SS pins will get everywhere.
I use a standard spinning media separator and it works good.

The SS pins are a little pricy, but they last forever.

I get the same results as BillT.

OD45

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »
Where did you guys pick up the SS pins?  Also, what kind of price are we talking about?

Offline billt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
These don't work in your typical tumbler though, do they?

Offline billt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
These don't work in your typical tumbler though, do they?

They won't work in a vibratory type tumbler like the ones from Dillon. Stainless Steel Media must be wet tumbled by slow rotary action like the Thumlers Tumbler provides. It has a rubber lined drum that seals against any leakage. A vibratory tumbler will not provide sufficient agitation because the liquid combined with the media and brass would be too heavy.