Author Topic: Where to get Mylar 5gal bags  (Read 29712 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Where to get Mylar 5gal bags
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
I ended up buying some from here:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm

Good customer service and smaller quantities allowed...

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
Based off their descriptions, Metalized is not going to be as good of a barrier as laminated foil.  You can really tell the difference by feeling them.  Metalized will usually not be as thick (potato chip bag), whereas laminated will be sturdy (most 12 oz coffee bags at the grocery)

Angie

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
I have used USA Emergency Supply for mylar and oxygen absorbers 3 times now.  I get a nice product, discretely shipped in a short amount of time.  I do recommend them.  

I reseal my potato chip bags regularly.  Keeps them very fresh.  However, the mylar is so much thinner than the type i order, I wouldn't try to use them for long term storage.

I do iron my bags, it so easy.  I use a cutting board to iron on.  It works great!  I know of someone who uses one of those metal ruler/leveler things with the three glass bubbles on it.  Seems the ridged side of the ruler makes a very durable seal. He just rolls the mylar across the side, and irons - very very nice seal.

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
Daaaamn, 25 tops?  If you're talking about Gamma Seals, those things are kind of pricey.  I just bought 6 more & about crapped when I had to pay $7 a piece for 'em.

I got mine for about $5 dollars a piece.  I got 7 in all different colors.  I figure that way I can use a color code system to document whats inside each bucket.  But they are great.  Also ordered some 1, 1.5, and half gallon mylar bags with o2 absorbers from USA emergency supply.  They were less than a dollar a piece.

kermitdafrog

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
Speaking of sealing mylar bags ...

This is a lot more difficult to describe than it is to actually do, but here's a tip for sealing mylar bags with an iron that works well for me:

I use two pieces of 1x2 about 18 inches long, and two small C-clamps.  (A 1x2 is actually 3/4"x1-1/2")

After putting in the oxy absorbers, I just flatten out the top of the bag and place it between the two pieces of 1x2 and use the two C-clamps to clamp it at each end leaving about 2 inches of bag protruding.  This allows you to get everything smooth, wrinkle free, and arranged correctly before clamping.  I set the whole mess across the top of the bucket, fold the two inches of bag over onto one of the 3/4' edges of the 1x2 (which I adjust just a little bit higher than the other 1x2) and iron it.  I don't use any towel or cloth, but I make sure the 1x2 ironing surface is smooth, and all of my 3/4" wide seams so far have been just fine.

Note: Making one of the 1x2 edges stick up above the other by about 1/8 of an inch ensures that the entire surface of one 1x2 will be the only ironing surface.

I use two 1-1/2 gallon bags with five 100cc absorbers each in a 5 gallon bucket instead of a single large mylar bag.  (12.5 lbs in each bag for a 25# total per bucket).  This does waste a little of the bucket capacity (about 4" on top), but I prefer opening smaller bags later down the road.  Some of the space on top of the two bags can be reclaimed by using it for small mylar bags of stuff like Hersheys Cocoa, etc.  Spaghetti can store vertically alongside the two bags.

If you use 1-1/2 gallon bags they are a little bit short to put between the wood strips sitting on the bucket edge and still sit on the bottom of the bucket during sealing, so I put a small 4 inch high box for a spacer in the bottom of the bucket, fill the bags, seal them, then remove the spacer.

This vendor has already been mentioned, but here's where I get my 1-1/2 gallon bags and absorbers:
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm

Kermit
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:09:51 PM by kermitdafrog »

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
Quote from: kermitdafrog
(A 1x2 is actually 3/4"x1-1/2")

A little off topic, but I've been irritated with the building supply industry for years over that.  In most other fields, if people promised 1x2 but only delivered 0.75x1.5 every time, eventually lawyers would get involved and someone would go to jail.  It's simply morally wrong to lie like that, especially on that scale.  (Yeah I know the counter-arguments about board size before processing and industry standards and so on.  It just means the whole industry is lying.)

But anyway...  Thanks for the multiple bag suggestion.  I'll have to give that some thought.  To clarify, are the bags stacked up or side by side?

kermitdafrog

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:11 AM »

Roger on the dimensional lumber ... what irritates me more are plywood thicknesses.  Instead of a 1/2" sheet of ply, it's now 15/32" or some such ;D

Thanks for the multiple bag suggestion.  I'll have to give that some thought.  To clarify, are the bags stacked up or side by side?

The two bags are alongside each other.

If you put them in the bucket before filling them it seems to work out better, otherwise they bulge in the wrong direction and it's hard to get them into the bucket.  I fill 'em both at the same time and bump the bucket on the floor as I go and it tends to give them a semi-circular shape.

badbeamer

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »
I must be the odd ball, but I didn't want the 5 gallon bags for my grains/storage buckets.  I figured that everytime you open your bucket you are exposing all your grains or what ever you have stored in there to air with each opening.  I order from Sorbent Systems....BUT CHECK OUT their over runs or over stocks bc they have some excellent savings.

I got large PURPLE mylar bags that hold the same amount as a #10 can for WAY less than the silver ones they offer on their food storage section and I got a full case.  I personally like the purple cuz I'm a girl and all.  ;)

I broke down my grains, pasta, etc...and placed X amount into these mylar bags and plopped them into the bucket with a gamma lid and I'm done.  I'll post pics if anyone is interested in seeing what I did. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
badbeamer, did you have good luck with sorbent on shipping time and costs? the last time i ordered from them, it took weeks to get the order and they had increased the shipping charge above the quoted amount from the online order... just curious. i'm a bit leery of trying them out again.

badbeamer

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »
When I talked to the guy on the phone he said they had just been swamped (more than usual) with food storage orders.  Apparently, folks are becoming more and more like us.  :o I ordered on a Tuesday and I had them on a following Tuesday (I am in GA and that seemed to be typical shipping time for West Coast to my place...), but yes I have had to wait a tad on a couple of orders in the past, but nothing too bad.  I think it does state on their website that actual shipping costs may be different than what's originally quoted so if you aren't sure about it I'd call and ask prior to ordering or just ask them about it.  They might credit you the difference back on a future order!

~amy

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:19:08 PM by lvschant »

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
FYI - found out the extra charge from Sorbent is a repackaging fee if your order is less than $45. ::)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Yeah... I found that out on my last (probably forever) order from Sorbent. They were really slow on shipping, too. However, the product quality was fine, once it arrived.

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:01 AM »
My advice is not to fool with the small mylar bags, too much trouble! Use a Foodsaver for small bags and put them in a big mylar bag inside a bucket. Use dry ice or whatever.

I tried the small mylar bags with a Foodsaver. It sometimes worked! Too much trouble though!

You could use the vacume tube and seal with an iron like that hand pump sealer.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
If you buy from a reputable company, I think you can trust that the buckets are food grade. Food grade aren't really more expensive to make, as so many kajillions are made each year the technology is pretty cheap. If you're using Mylar bags, does it matter much if they're food grade? The food won't ever come in contact with the bucket. At that point the bucket is just to protect the mylar.

The price of a FDA (AKA "food grade") bucket IS ALWAYS A GOOD INDICATOR ...... A food grade 5 gallon bucket is TRIPLE the price of a generic HDPE plastic bucket ( ie: Home Depot,Lowes, Menards ect) ...... another positive indicator of non-food grade buckets are the COLOR ....... food grade buckets are ALMOST ALWAYS snow white ....... the dye used to color the buckets is toxic along with a release agent used in the mold pressing process ....... VERY IMPORTANT to use food grade buckets in  ALL food processing and storage projects ....... That includes the O2 and mylar bucket process ....... Ever hear of toxic fumes?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Illini Warrior... glad to have your input. Since I have only used buckets I've gotten for free from deli's they have all been definitely food grade (frosting still in them in some cases). You make some good points.

If you get a chance, stop by the intro thread... always glad for more input and sharing of knowledge...

Offline AuntCheri

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »
I work at a Tractor Supply.  We have 5 gal buckets for about $3.00.  They are very white and made in Rochester, MI  I called the company and they are food grade.  When in doubt just ask the store you are buying from to call the manufacturer.  Better safe than sorry.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
Welcome, AuntCheri... that is a great price for buckets! I have gotten all of mine for free so far, but have heard that in some places it isn't possible. Thanks for calling to make certain about them for all of us here.

If you get a chance, stop by the intro thread... Glad to have you here.

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »
Cost of shipping from USAemergency seems slightly outrageous.Over $11 dollars for 20 1.5 gallon mylar bags.Am I unreasonable?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:05:34 AM by Son_of_the_Republic »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
It does sound high to me... I think the shipping costs from the LDS ordering was much more reasonable (but you have to order a larger quantity, too).

inbox485

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
It does sound high to me... I think the shipping costs from the LDS ordering was much more reasonable (but you have to order a larger quantity, too).

Check out:
http://providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

If you are near one of their canning locations you can pick them up. Or if you want to get your hands dirty, you go and do the packing as well.

Offline sammydose

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »
Mylar food storage bags are an integral component of any storage system of good food and has been used for many years. Mylar bags food grade metallic coating used for food storage bins. Mylar bags create an oxygen barrier to protect food during prolonged storage of food in the long term. Mylar bags for storage of food can be sealed with a heat seal unit standard or a common clothes iron.

Offline gobblerblaster

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Check out:
http://providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

If you are near one of their canning locations you can pick them up. Or if you want to get your hands dirty, you go and do the packing as well.

Here is a great place to buy if you can use 50 or more 5 gal bucket bags (60 gal.).It works to about a dollar a bag. I have ordered from them twice and they also have some value packs that include oxy absorbers. They also have the 2000 cc absorbers which are kind of hard to find.

http://www.vackpak.com/MylarDesiccant.html