Author Topic: Winchester Super X - all junk or bad batch?  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Winchester Super X - all junk or bad batch?
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
I have been buying several different boxes of 30-06 to find the one my new rifle (and I) seem to shoot the best.  Yesterday, I picked up a box of Winchester Super X and happened to go through the box looking at the rounds.  I was simply shocked at the poor construction - worse than anything I have seen including communist surplus.

Out of the 20 rounds, there are at least three I wouldn't take hunting and one I wouldn't even load in my rifle.  The latter has a crimp that is so far overdone that the brass has bulged and wrinkled in one spot at the rim.  One round has no apparent crimp and another has the jacketing worn completely through in one spot.  The rest of the box has very inconsistent crimp ranging from next to nothing to quite deep.

The box itself has no contact information at all - different from most manufacturers.  Winchester Ammunition's website has zero e-mail or phone numbers.  Winchester's gun site has numbers only for parts or service.  So, I called them, was transferred and ended up with an unpublished 800 number.  I called there, was transferred again and ended up with a lady who explained how to send it in after I explained the issue.

Although they will pay shipping, there was no apology or even concern.  In fact, it almost sounded like they didn't believe me as she noted that they won't do anything until they receive the ammo and research it to determine if there is a problem.  Fine, but what would I have to gain by sending in a full box of ammo and asking for a full box in return?

I must say that unless something really surprises me, Winchester will likely not be sending many rounds through my guns any longer.  I use the Ranger T's for self defense and often buy 22s as well.

Not having experience with their rifle ammo, is this a fluke or does Winchester really sell stuff this bad?

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Winchester Super X - all junk or bad batch?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
Two weeks since I mailed in the box and nothing yet from Winchester.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
This is not the first time I've run into this. Don't get me wrong, I use Winchester too, and never had any issues myself. However, I have seen a Savage110 in 270 damaged pretty badly. At the time, we couldn't figure out "exactly" what happened, but after closer investigation the ammo was the problem. It was Winchester, purcased from a "bigbox" dept store.
His story is much like your own, but it's been over 2 years now and he's heard nothing from them since he sent the ammo back to Winchester. So now the only proof he's got is a broken rifle..and I have some photos, but I won't post them. It's not my fish to fry.
This is the only other time I've heard about quality issues though. Customer service is another story. I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I really like Winchester. Ever since, I look at all my store bought ammo very close. And I don't care what brand it is. :-\

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
I don't have any problem saying that I won't buy another round of Winchester ammunition.  From first hand experience, they have poor quality control, poor customer service and obviously don't care about either of the two.

I can't say that any other manufacturer has better customer service, but I do know that they haven't sold me defective ammo so I haven't had to call them.

I am amazed that they aren't more interested in defective product on the store shelves.

It is too bad as I really like their Ranger T line, but I can't support a company that runs a business like they do.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
Winchester just recalled their .223 64 grain power point Ranger ammo, 5 or 6 lots thier toll free number is 1-866-423-5224

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
One thing I will say..IF AMMO DAMAGES YOU GUN, NEVER SEND THE AMMO BACK, NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY UNTILL IT"S LOOKED AT BUY A WELL RESPECTED GUNSMITH ::)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
To be fair, I just received two $20 coupons in the mail, supposedly good at any store that sells their ammo.  The problem is I don't really want their ammo.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
Next chapter in the saga is that I was going through some Winchester Ranger 12 gauge slugs and came across a round that was all folded over on one side - it looks like it was crimped with a bottle jack.  Why?

At this point, I am done with these guys.  I have bought thousands of the cheap Federal junk from Walmart in the 100 packs for clay targets and never had one problem.  This Ranger stuff isn't exactly cheap - it is marketed as top of the line LEO ammunition.

The quality control seems to have completely gone out the door.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
I can't speak to their Super X haven't used it in long time. I did buy 22lr 555 it shoots great. Where the remington .22lr every other round jams or misfires.  

Certainly says you need to inspect the ammo before plopping down hard earned cash.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:18 AM »
I can't speak to their Super X haven't used it in long time. I did buy 22lr 555 it shoots great. Where the remington .22lr every other round jams or misfires.  

Certainly says you need to inspect the ammo before plopping down hard earned cash.

I ran a box of the remington and had about a 1 in 5 or so failure rate 2 weekends ago.  I've been running the winchester 555 boxes of bulk before and after that and they have a very low failure rate.   (maybe 1 in 50 or 60 or more).

I think I may have an issue with the pin on the wifes 22 though.  The FTF rate was higher with both types of ammo on her Marlin than on my Ruger 10/22.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
I have never had bad ammo from Winchester, and in the past they were usually held to be very good on QC. Perhaps this is a sign that they are going off the rails. Moral of the story is always make at least a cursory visual inspection of ammo you buy no matter who made it.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
I've not had problems with Winchester rounds, although most of what I shoot is pistol, not rifle.

Remington yellow/green box in .22LR OTOH, I agree with the others here, huge percentage of duds across a number of mfg. lots. Winchester .22LR shoots fine, as does Federal.

Given the comments here, anecdotally, I'd say it's a QC problem at the plant and not a single bad batch. The round makers won't actually tell you that, you have to figure it out for yourself, as you are doing.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
I had some 22lr Winchester that was pretty bad, but that was probably 15yrs ago.
It wasn't in the bulk box, but was pretty cheap stuff. Haven't had any problems with any 22lr ammo from Rem, Fed, or Winchester in years.