Author Topic: Source for Dehydrated Red Onions  (Read 2368 times)

annestacey

Source for Dehydrated Red Onions
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
I have ordered dehydrated white onions from Harmony House Foods but I really want to add dehydrated red onions to my food storage.  The last time I dehydrated onions myself, my apartment stunk for a week and I dehydrated them out on my balcony with door and window shut.  I decided from now on, I'll order them instead.

So I did a search for dehydrated red onions and it seems like everyone gets them from this one place in India.  I mean, is India the only place on earth that makes dehydrated red onions??  I really would like to get them in the US if it's possible.  Would anyone else here consider getting them from India?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Source for Dehydrated Red Onions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
Especially when I was in Canada, India-source was pretty much the only place I could get my spices and such from. The quality was just as good or better (tasting-wise) and much less expensive than common name brands when I could find them. I would get 6x the amount for the same amount of cash. The local East Indians were also buying them.

I hear ya on the onion dehydrating in the house. Did that ONCE for less than 5 minutes. Then they got evicted outside.

Cedar

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
I got 6 one week from my produce co-op, and since I knew my family would NEVER eat them before going bad, I took a chance and dehydrated myself.  easy peasy.

edit after reading Cedar's post: of course, I have 12 acres and a large house to hide the smell.  :D
but the red onions did not smell like the yellow or white i have done.  maybe try a small batch

annestacey

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
ok well that's good to know that they're a reputable source.  Maybe I'll give it a try.  Thank you Cedar.

Morning Sunshine:  I'm not in the same apartment anymore.  My current place has NO outdoor space at all - no balcony.  So dehydrating any type of onion, garlic, etc is out of the question!

Thanks for advice!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
I dehydrated all the extra red onions from my garden last year. I just let the dehydrator run out on the screened porch... no problem... (and they are very tasty... my husband throws them into omelets, on pizza, etc.)