Author Topic: Extreme F.I.F.O. storage D.I.Y. Project.  (Read 3895 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
Extreme F.I.F.O. storage D.I.Y. Project.
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »
Had a great thought for a post a bit ago on the thread I started on F.I.F.O. storage, and wanted to share it with everyone. Maybe someone will be able to use the info for their preparedness plans.

Back in the 80's, I had thought of building a home instead of buying one that was already done. This would allow me to do a floorplan that would have what I wanted in a home, on my terms. I looked at floor plans, but had a hard time finding what I thought was a good layout. Then as luck would have it,I came across what I was looking for in a log home magazine. It was not exactly what I had been looking for, but it was better than 90% spot on, and that was a good start.

At the same time, i came across a large desk pad that was full of paper sheets printed like a giant graph pad for a school science or economics project. With these two things, and a drafting book from a local library, I was able to do a set of plans with details ( and with the help of a set of Crayola Colored Pencils, it has a lot of colored drawings, that would more than satisfy a lot of banks, city building permit departments, and architects, when you had to show them what you were looking to build). I still have the complete set in a plastic, art storage tube that I bought at the local college I attended to keep electronic drawings I made in one of my classes when trying to get a degree in Electrical Engineering a few years before.

The home had the Living Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen all at one end of the house as a Great Room, and the Bedrooms, all at the other end, with two Bath Rooms, a Mechanicals and Laundry room, a couple of storage closets, as well as the front and rear entrance doors to the home, in a comon central area between the two ends ( picture a sort of dumbell or "H" shapeed floor plan, and you kind of get the idea.

As i developed the plan, I noticed that the kitchen, and the bathrooms shared two of the interior walls with the Mechanicals and Laundry Room. This was when I hit upon the most extreme form of a F.I.F.O. storage idea and plan, to be incorperated into the original design plan for the house.

DOUBLE SIDED CABINETS   ;D

As the frame work would be built, a set of cabinets for the Kitchen, as well as both Bath Rooms woujd be built so that all three rooms would have a mirror image set inside the Mechanicals and Laundry area, with open wall space shared by both.

This is how the system would work.......Coming home with a load of groceries, you would enter through the back door into the Mechanicals and Laundry area. There would be a large section of counter space on your left and right sides as you entered, and a set of cabinets. You would set the groceries all down on the countertops, and open the cabinets, and put your goods into the cabinets themselves, or an extra set of additional shelves for supplies that would stay inside the Mechanicals and Laundry area only. Because the cabinets ar an exact mirror image of the cabinets for the three rooms on the other sides of the shared walls, and with the wall spaces open between the two, all you have to do is keep pushing your stock forward into the rooms to keep a constant and automatic rotation of your stock.
This also would work for clean towels and linens fresh from the Laundry Room. Fold and stack your towels and tablecloths on the countertops, and then place them in the correct cabinet for each room they were to go to. This also would work for a space to return all the dirty linens and towels coming back to the Laundry Room to be washed as well as trash to be taken out to the curb each week.
And I almost forgot to mention that after I saw these, I realized the  same could be done for the front Entry Hall closet for winter coats and hats.

This was my dream home. If I ever hit the lottery jackpot, and have the funds to do it, I will build it. If not, no big deal. I have a nice little place right now that is paid for, and so I am thankful to God every day that my family will have a place to call home without a big old mortgage payment hanging over their heads when I am gone. It may not be this great dream home I wanted, but it is paid for, so it is ours as long as we can pay the taxes, and for right now, it is good enough for me.
Maybe one of you folks can use this idea for a home you are planning somewhere. I know there ar a lot of folks out there that are losing theirs even now, but maybe there is at least one out there that is getting ready to build new, and just maybe they mght see this and want to use the idea for theirs. Good for them. And even if nobody does, no big deal. I just thought that I would share it with everyone as a way to show them what a little bit of thought ahead can bring to the design table.

Kara

Re: Extreme F.I.F.O. storage D.I.Y. Project.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
Tim, that's a fabulous plan!!!

Here's to both of us winning the lottery and putting this most excellent idea into practical use!!!

:D

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
I had thought up something similar. Many kitchens share a wall with the garage. My idea was to hang a set of cabinets in the garage that matched in size those in the kitchen. knock the sheetrock out between the two, and you now have double-deep cabinets. Leave 'shallow spots' where the studs are, so you can put things that don't need to be rotated or are used so slowly that it's not an issue.

It wouldn't be all that great, because it's probably against fire-code to remove the fire-break between the garage and the house, the inside of the cabinets would be cold in the winter, and hot in the summer do to the hot/cold coming in from the garage. Just a bunch of little reasons why my idea is a dumb idea.

Yours, yours solves all the problems. Now why didn't I think of that.

Can I be in the lottery pool too?

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »
Got the idea when reading a story about a gentleman that had a large family ranch in one of the Northwestern states, and his home was where all the family as well as the ranch hands ate their meals, and they had a large pantry and storage area that they kept all their stores in adjacent to the kitchen.
They only went to town for supplies about once every month, and they brought all their stuff into the house through the back door, and strait into the pantry.

He mentioned that unless there was a real practicle reason for something, when he built the house, if it was not required by law, or was not practicle to the normal flow pattern for a working ranch house, then it did not get put into the floorplan. So, when they needed something like a bottle of syrup for some pancakes for breakfast, they walked right into the pantry and got a bottle off of the shelf.

About the time I read this story, I was doing the drawings on my free time at work, and hit upon the idea of the pass thru cabinets. For sure this was all taken into consideration in the initial design of the floor plan. A lot of folks that saw the drawings that I did even suggested that I add the garage onto the back entry of the house so that groceries could be carried into the house from the vehicles during bad weather, avoiding wet and soggy items.

At first glance to this idea, it would seem to be a great one. But there was a reason that I have always been a person who thinks that a detached garage next to the back entrance was a better idea.
It came from a story about a man who thought that his family would be better off without him in the picture, and decided to commit suicide by running the car in the garage, and sitting in the front seat with the windows down to be overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning. Because the garage was attached, and the fact that the car remained runnung long after he had died, the carbon monoxide gas permeated the rest of the house, and killed the entire family as they slept that night. So you can see why I don't have a house with an attached garage.
Not that I am really worried about it happening with me or my family, but from a safety standpoint, if for some reason the garage were to catch fire, then you would probably still be able to live in the house, unless sparks jumped from it to the house , or it was too close to begin with, and was lgnited by spontanious cumbustion.

But back to the subject of two sided cabinets, it could also be designed into a garage and workshop type of plan, where the main part of the garage was one side, and the shop was the other. Things like two stroke oil for small gas powered equipment could find a place there, lawn and garden items that might have a shelf life, etc, and even if there was no real F.I.F.O. type of items to be set in the cabinets, the mere fact that you could place them into one side, and take them out from the shop area in from the main garage area thru a dividing wall is a great idea.