Author Topic: Your Favorite Work Boots?  (Read 18041 times)

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
Re: Your Favorite Work Boots?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
For about 6 years I've worn Steel Blue workboots, but since November 2010 I've been wearing Oliver AT (All Terrain) 55-239's. 
They still feel just as comfortable as new i think because of the comfort cushion in below the inner sole - the Steel Blue's inner sole you would need to replace every 6 months or so - and the grip and the rest of the boot did last up to 2 years otherwise even in rough, salty, sharp rock environments like an open cut mine pit (where I last wore Steel Blue's)
The Oliver's I've been wearing since going to back to mineral exploration work in northwest Australia have really outperformed the Steel Blue's that are otherwise probably the standard boot in Australia.  Comfortable in feel and insulation - just with a single pair of hiking socks I never had a cold or wet foot during winter and not hot and sweaty in the summer (which is on average 110 degrees F  - it's only mid-autumn here and it's been + 100 F most days lately)

If they are available in the USA or anywhere in and outside of Australia I'd have to say best boot I've had since getting into industry/mining since 2004

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
I've got three pair of boots that I like a lot.  If I could get away with wearing them to work, I would:

Asolo Fugitive GTX:  light weight with good support.  Even though I don't usually need water protection, the Goretex keeps my feet clean in my typically dusty environment.

Danner Acadia:
  typical combat boots with Goretex, this is what I use to walk the dogs when it gets really muddy, but I don't like them as much for hiking.

La Sportiva Karakorum:
  feels like having an armored vehicle on each foot, a little heavy, but great support and protection from just about anything.  That's them in my avatar pic.  I've had a couple of patients who are linemen for the electric utility who swear by them.  I've also heard they're popular in Afghanistan, too.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline Crusher13

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
I just had to send a pair of red wings back to the factory. I have had them for 2 years and hardly ever worn them because the always felt off. So I bought a pair of insoles from red wing. Better but still not right. Finally figured out the left shank was tweaked straight out of the box. Luckily my mom works for the small mom and pop store who said red wing is really good about taking care of issues. Don't know if there will be an exchange or refund. I like red wings as I have an insulated pair for winter but these are steel toe. If I get a refund I have my eye on Keen Pitsburgh as I find Keen shoes very comfortable.

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
La Sportiva Karakorum:  feels like having an armored vehicle on each foot, a little heavy, but great support and protection from just about anything.  That's them in my avatar pic.  I've had a couple of patients who are linemen for the electric utility who swear by them.  I've also heard they're popular in Afghanistan, too.
I had two pairs of La Sportiva Makalus and didn't have the best of luck with them.  On the first pair the shank failed causing the boot to flex mid-metatarsal during an epic hike in the North Cascades.  They warranteed them, but the second pair never developed a proper heel pocket and ate my heels to death.  I still have scar tissue on my heels where they'd been ground into hamburger on a couple long hikes.

I love the look of their boots, but I don't think I'd get another pair.  I retired them sometime in the late 1990s.  Maybe their designs have improved (since 1995-1997), but they still look like the same boot on the outside.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
I love the look of their boots, but I don't think I'd get another pair.  I retired them sometime in the late 1990s.  Maybe their designs have improved (since 1995-1997), but they still look like the same boot on the outside.

I know what your saying, boots are very personal item and if they don't work for you they are worse than worthless.  I have a very hard time finding footwear that fit me right.  In the early '90s I had a beautiful pair of Asolo Yukons that I could not break in for anything.  They killed my feet on Mt. Hood, left me bleeding on Mt. Whitney, and a whole bunch of lesser hikes.  Finally, one of the dogs chewed the hell out of one of them and gave me a good excuse to throw them out.  My dad bought the same boots and says to this day that they were the most comfortable boots he's ever had.  That is what the Karakorum's are to me, the best things I've ever had on my feet.

A lot of people swear by Merrill, but I had such a bad experience with them that I'll probably steer clear of the whole brand forever.  My first experience using the La Sportiva brand when climbing the Grand Teton, on the other hand, was so amazing that I'll probably be a fan for life.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline Crusher13

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »
Bump

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the keen Pitsburgh I am looking at?

Offline Dollarbill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
I wear Timberland Pro. I'm very happy with them. I know they aren't the best boots out there but you can get them at most anywhere.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 02:46:52 AM »
I wear Timberland Pro. I'm very happy with them. I know they aren't the best boots out there but you can get them at most anywhere.

Timberland pros are some of, if not, the most comfortable boots I have worn. That said they are not the longest wearing boots.  The pairs I had with daily reasonably heavy wear on polished concrete both had soles that wore down and then split.  So if you don't mind buying boots every couple of years they are great.

Offline Dusti

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
These days, I'm only in Danners. I use to be dedicated to Georgia's, but there quality went down hill.  Had the soles fall off two times on the latest pair of Georgia's. The company didn't are a bit.  Too bad, as they use to be a good brand.  So now, only Danners for me. They hold up to my abuses at work, on the farm, and around the town. And they didn't require a break in period.  First day I got them, worked a 14 hour day on my feet.
Do not be so afraid of being wrong that you never dare to be right.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
Danner 8".  I had a 5" pair of danner hiking boots that I wore daily for five years, they were as comfortable as tennis shoes.  My 8" Danners have been just as comfortable and durable.  I've beat the hell out of them working our property - everything from cutting and hauling trees to working the fields.  They are spendy, but the last.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
I'm a cheap SOB but there are a few areas where I will never scrimp. Tried using $20 pair of shoes for a job once. I think I had 3 blisters on top of each other by the end of the first week. One of these days I'd like to get a few custom built pairs of shoes/boots. 

Offline Pipewrench

• Prepper
  • Never stop learnin'
    • Plumber
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
Red Wings! Made in the U.S.A.! I've been wearing them for around 15 years give or take, nearly every day. They are a little pricey but worth it. I put new insoles in them about every six months and the boots will last a good two years. SO important to take good care of your feet.

Offline scallywag_ak

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Red Wing 877.   I have worn these everyday for the last year and a half.  Love them.  I work in a mechanic shop on concrete all day & driving truck.   The only complaint that I have is that I wish they had speed hooks because I spend a lot of time lacing & unlacing these boots.    Check out the other Red Wing Heritage boots, they are the higher quality line.   Built their reputation.    A guy I once worked with told me that a man should always buy good boots & a good bed because you spend most of your life in them.    Great advice!
http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots#&f=Heritage%20Boot&m=/detail/877-heritage-us/877-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-boot-brown

The WORST boots I have ever owned were a pair of Danner Quarry 2.0. Absolute JUNK!  Fell apart within a couple weeks.

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
I have access to a cool place called Discount Shoe here in Asheville, this family owned and operated business is a landmark here and has just about every pair of boots, shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers you could imagine.

They have amazing pricing too. Recently bought a pair of Merrill Chameleons day hikers and paid $30 less then REI wanted.

I tried on a TON of work boots before setting on the Carolina brand of work boots. Mine are pretty high with steel toes and Thinsulate insulation. These boots have Vibram soles and are INCREDIBLY warm in winter.  http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=CA9028

I have worn them in 10 degree wether and waded through streams, then stay dry and very warm.

They are made in China which I HATE but they are a good value, well priced ($under 200) and excellent quality. Highly recommend.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
I have a system to keep my boots lasting longer.  I wear my Timberland PROs on MWF, and my Red Wing 435 or 432 (I don't know the difference) 6" on TRS.  I actually like the Timberland boots better, but they get pretty smelly and soggy if I wear them for too many consecutive days.

BTW for all you red wing fans, you should look and see where they are made.  Pretty much everything less than 8" is made in good old China. 

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
just got my first pair of nice work boots... i'm pumped!
(now i just need to learn all the manly crap to do around the property :o )

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4414-red-wing-shoes/4414-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown
JCM

"like so many others, wonders what heck is up with the inflatable goat thing"

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
Just picked up my first pair of lace-up work boots in about eight years...normally I wear slip on boots.  They're Red Wing Irish Setter 83607 6-inch hikers with steel toe. Very comfortable boot, as all the Red Wings I've had have been.

Offline RobertE2E

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »
For a heavy duty boot, Ive been using Danner Acadia boots for a few years. They hold up well, and Ive been happy for the most part. My only real criticism is the weight,,they are heavy.

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
Im really liking the pair of Under Armour Speed Freeks that Ive been wearing since April.  They're a 7" leather boot with Goretex and wow are they light, 16 oz each.  It's almost baffling.  I look at the boot in my hand and think it should weigh much more.  The out sole and tread seem to be really well designed and durable.  I would wear the heels of my Bates smooth in about a year.  These are showing little to no wear.  And of course because it's what they were designed for, they are as comfortable as tennis and you can easily run in them. 
If the short cut was easier or more effective, it would simply be called "The Way"

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
i wear red wings. free laces for life and only 50 bucks to resole them. some places may be cheaper but that's the cheapest i've found in NOLA. wear them in my trade and they haven't worn out yet.
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
I walk on golf ball sized gravel every day for approximately 2 miles total.  It is the death of any shoe, and tennis shoes last a few months at best here.  If you say work boots I will assume safety toe.

I don't wear high rise boots, but for mid rise the best thing I personally have had is a set of Redback mid height pull-ons.  Damn things lasted 2 years, and I tossed them only because I wore through the entire outer sole to the spongy insole.  Very comfortable, and wear wonderfully.  Sizes are boot sizes, not sneaker sizes.

As far as low rise I have a set of the all leather Timberland Pros.  They are comfortable but I feel they don't breathe very well.  I refuse to wear them until it gets under 80F and I can use some thicker socks to help keep air around my foot.  They have lasted about 6 months though and the sole has worn very well.  Their sizes are a little off as well.  I wear a 10.5, but these are actually 10.5 wides and are smaller then the Sketchers and the Redbacks as far as fit goes.

By far my favorite pair of low rise safety shoes is Sketchers.  Rated for electrical hazard, rediculously comfortable insole and breathe very well.  Going on 8 months of those.  Very grippy and wear very well...just starting to smooth over some of the sole on the heel but still great traction even when the sole is coated in aircraft hydraulic fluid.

I came out here with a pair of Wolverines, and some other crappy boots.  They lasted a month or so because of the rocks chewing the soles apart.  I ordered new boots immediately.

Several guys out here wear Keens, and they love them honestly.  Little too flashy color wise for my taste.  Nautilus is also another brand worn by many out here.  We have to wear our boots for over 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.  Shoe comfort is paramount to us.   A bit of advice, if you want to wear boots all the time, get 2 pairs and swap them out every other day.  It will keep them from getting funky, and if there is a spot that wears funny on your foot with one boot, it probably wont on the other, saving your foot.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
For hiking, work and general play around tools, I like these Dr Marten's. Mine are a much older version of this boot. They suck in the snow (Cold, hard and slippery). I got them when I needed a toe covering boot. I have worn through to the blue shiny part of the right toe. But the bottoms are still in good shape.

For snow and ice, I like my Rockey Snow Stalkers. I can go out on the ice, fishing for 10 hours in a normal par of socks, and never think about my feet. I got some ice cleats that fit perfect.

My every day dress boot is an original hand made pair of John Fluvog swirls 8) . They are one of a kind but are most similar to this pair in mat tan.  I paid about $250 for them in the late 1990 or 2000. They offered me $1700 for them for his musemum (plus a free pair of any new boot or shoe I want). I actually bought them from John when he was working in the New York store. They had me photo 10 places on the boot to identify that John himself made them. I would pay $3500 for him to make me a new pair. I am not sure what markings they identified. My wife has purchased the mass produced stuff, and it is not the same quality.

All boots listed are 10  years old. I am very hard on boots\shoes. A pair of chuck Taylor's or vans will last me about a month worn them 2-3 days a week. I shred ecco, timberland, most Dr Martin, rock port, Red Wing (not as fast) but suck to break in, teva, sorel, Chippewa is OK. I never where a a pair of boots\shoes 2 days in a row. I like boots and shoes that can be fixed, and I frequent my local shoe repair.

PokeShell

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Online TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
This is the pair of boots I currently wear to work: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-tactical-zip-boots/pid1230876-001

They are very comfortable and I really like traction the soles provide. I have worn them a week now and I have been loving them.

We will see how well they hold up.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline rikkijustmike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
I've been wearing combat boots since I graduated high school and I've tried just about everything out there. I have small lady-feet (I'm a man and a manly man at that... I just have small feet), so it's hard for me to buy off the shelf. When internet ordering came down from heaven, I benefited greatly.

Hands down, the best boot in the world (IMHO) is made by Corcoran. Specifically, the jump boot. It is a bit higher than most people are probably used to, but you'll adjust and be glad you did.

I have the jungle boots and the all leathers. I wore them in the military, I wore them as a cop and when I did security (walking for 12 hours at a time). I've worn them working construction and I also use them as riding boots. My jungles are super light and comfy and while the leathers are a bit heavier, they aren't ridiculous. Both sets have a plate in the bottom to protect you from punji sticks or nails (we all live different lifestyles, I guess). They aren't cheap but you can find good deals on them if you surf around.

If you blouse your pants, they have a cool ring-thingie (science term) at the top that will help hold your blousing straps/springs in place.

In my opinion, my Corcorans are the best.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
Went to pull on my RedWing loggers last weekend to go do some work up on the property.  Pulled the first one on and it felt weird.  Pulled my foot out and the shank and midsole came out with it.  Total crap.  Can't believe they only lasted 18 years.   ::)

Offline AlanB

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
Funny, we were talking about this at work today.  Myself and a buddy both of us heavier, both with heel spurs that can put us out, him with way too many jumps and feet xrays that make podiatrists gag.

We both are wearing the Timberland Pro Titan with protective toe. (toe required for work)

when talking we both said if we wore a cheap pair of boots for a day or two, cannot walk for the next several.

Definitely not the longest lasting, and I do buy two pairs at a time and rotate daily, but at 12 - 16 hours a day working in boots, it is just the cost of doing business.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
Danner!  Corvalis GTX for normal work, and Quarry steel toe for working around heavy stuff (like big rocks and logs).

I can attest to the fact the White and Danner caulk loggers are top shelf.  If you work in the woods you want one of these.  Lugs are OK for dirt, but if you work on logs, esp. green timber, get the caulks (pronounced "corks").

I've done a lot of outdoor work both as a job and for myself.  Do not go cheap on protecting your feet.  You bust up or cut up your feet and you are dead in the water in terms of getting heavy work done.  Get the best boots you can afford and if in doubt go heavy (more leather).  I have a pair f old New Balance trail runners I use for light outdoor work, but anything involving carry loads, lumber, power tools, etc I wear the Corvalis.  If it involves chainsaw, moving big rocks, logs, axe, then I am wearing my Quarry boots. 

I was helping set up one of those very large canopies used at fairs and just wore my trail shoes.  While I was being very careful one of the other guys dropped one of the heavy stel pipes right across the arch of my foot.  Dang near broke my foot.  Now I extend my boot policy to "if I am working around OTHER people carry heavy items, I wear my Quarry steel toe boots."  Similar thing happened to my SIL, he was working at a store and helping to carry a large piece of machinery that arrived at the loading dock.  The other guy drop his end causing my SIL to drop his right on his toe.  Luckily he did not break his foot as he had no insurance or sick leave or vacation at the time.  Time off would be time without pay.

In a SHTF scenario you want your feet well protected and better to error on the heavy side than risk injury.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline kingjo

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
Danner Romeo, both in brown and black....Love 'em!.....

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
I prefer Red Wings as well. I wear them everyday, even when not at work. I've had my current pair for 3.5-4 years.  The pair before that I had for 6 years.  Very reliable, sturdy boots.  I go between construction sites to office spaces and anywere in between.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
I wore the heck out of a pair of Columbia Sportswear waterproof boots that I got at their outlet store for $40.
Three trips to Ireland slogging through cow fields and bogs.
Multiple hikes in the Columbia River Gorge.
Lots of garden time.

I bought them in 2002 and discarded them in a donation bid in Ireland in 2011. They were starting to leak a bit, but were still comfortable and sturdy. After slogging out to the Ardgroom Stone Circle on the Beara Penininsula in County Cork in ankle deep muck (mostly cow poo) and having wet socks, I decided I had got my money's worth.
http://www.igougo.com/story-s1222680-County_Cork-Finding_the_Ardgroom_Stone_Circle_on_the_Beara_Peninsula_Co._Cork_Ireland.html

I went back to the Outlet Store and found a similar pair and have been using them in the garden and out and about with great results.
--------------------------

Scott

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  Louis Pasteur
TSP Members Support Brigade