Author Topic: AK-74: A great SHTF rifle for smaller statures  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
AK-74: A great SHTF rifle for smaller statures
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
(This is NOT one of those "Hey, there little lady, you need a little gun" patronizing, pat-on-the-head kind of things.  I hate that stuff.  But it's reality that some women (and men) need smaller weapons because they're smaller than the average sized person the guns were designed to fit.  Did you notice I said some men need smaller weapons?  Yes, because they too are smaller than "average" (whatever that is).  OK, on with the substantive post.) 

I think smaller statured people might benefit from trying an AK-74.  It's a Russian "assault rifle" (I hate that term) that's sized for European-sized people and shoots a smaller caliber.  The shorter stock, light weight, and minimal recoil is perfect for smaller statured people.

Oh, and it's just about the cheapest center fire rifle I can think of.  Both purchase price and the cost of the ammunition.  An AK-74 and a 1,000 round of ammo costs about half as much as an AR-15 without any ammo.

So is it a good rifle for smaller people?

Here's my 15 year-old daughter (who kicks ass, I might add) shooting one:

She had minimal gun experience when she shot the AK-74 for the first time.  It wasn't heavy and the stock wasn't too long.  She loved and is really good with it now.

Here is the thread on the AK-74: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21992.0

I hope you consider getting one if you're in the market for this kind of gun.