Author Topic: Mmmm, didn't think about that!!  (Read 6366 times)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
Mmmm, didn't think about that!!
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:44 AM »
Well, I have just been so darn proud of Daughter Number Two for all of her prepping efforts.................nice storage of food, health and beauty items, soaps, stuff to make her own detergent, she was making great strides in getting a stockpile of things.

Long story short, she is getting a divorce, all the funiture and whatever else she was taking for herself and two kiddies has been put in storage. Food did not go to storage/warehouse space. Can you imagine or picture how much food/boxes of preps are now in my house. A small 900 sq ft house that now is occupied by 3 additional people. I have boxes everywhere!

Ha, while it may seem like I am complaining, I am simply making a statement that of all the bad things that have happened, I am able to  provide a temporary place of refuge and we sure won't go hungry or run out of toilet paper!  ;D

Of all the things that could go wrong, I never thought about moving preps or trying to figure out what the heck to do with boxes and boxes of someone else's stuff.

The folks who helped get her moved made a comment about how much food and other items she had. She just told them that since she has little kids, she likes to be prepared for anything!

When mamabear moved, one of my friends asked, "How many boxes of baking soda does one person need?" lol.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Mmmm, didn't think about that!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
wow moving preps that IS something to think about.  What a job that could be.  Guess I had better give it some thought. Best to all of you. 

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
Great post.  I always think of the storage I need (and mine is always full to overflowing), but extra storage for a sudden need has not been on my list.  And, of course, having relatives move in at a moment's notice is a very likely scenario. 

Swoods, I've read loads about prepping but you are the first person I've heard to identify that need.  It's rare to find a new one!  Big thanks!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
Good luck to you... There are some very creative ideas for making use of any potentially-unused space for storing things in various threads... I have to admit, this very thing has kept me a bit subdued in my preps. We have one more move ahead of us, and I know approximately when it is, so I will try my very best to have a reasonable amount of food, etc. for us to move that last time.

I imagine it would be harder if the move were to be unexpected. However, it is a wonderful thing that you have plenty of supplies on hand for the entire family. In a SHTF situation, folks would be likely to show up empty-handed.

annestacey

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
I deal with this moving situation all the time.  My career forces me to relocate on a regular basis - like every 1-3 years so I have to keep my preps to a minimum and very organized so I can move them when necessary.  I'm just starting to learn how to can so now I'm very concerned about moving glass jars.  I was looking for something similar to beverage koozies for canning jars but didn't really find anything.  I think I'll stock up on cheap socks and use those to cover the jars the next time I have to relocate.  The rest of my food is dehydrated and stored in plastic crates or food grade buckets.  Those are easy to move but they're expensive.  All the more reason to find a permanent location to settle down.  Still working on that one.   :-\

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:31:53 AM »
A friend of mine had a similar situation. Her husband wanted her and the kids gone, so she had to move into a trailer with her parents on short notice. Our homeschool support group pulled together to help her. One of us took her goats and boarded them, several loaned labor/trailers/trucks to move her entire household, and we stored everything in a corner of our shop until she was able to get back on her feet. I don't know that everyone could "prepare" enough storage space for their supplies, but if you have a community network for help then space will be available when needed.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »
I didn't think about moving either, and I moved from Canada back to the states. Other than meat (which i donated a whole freezer of to a friend) I moved my whole pantry as well as the equipment for a 40 acre farm, including hog scales and a 1860's cook stove.

Everything went into storage, food included for a year. I did have to leave my empty canning jars up north as well as a few other 'farming' things I donated to a friend, but all-in-all I brought it down with me. I gave all of my 75 head of livestock, sled dogs, dairy heifer and horse away.

The full quart jars I had, KEEP the boxes that they came in. It insulates them as well as keeping them from getting broken. Makes them stack great and I also put them into black garbage bags in case of a leak on the 1,100 mile transit, into storage and then FINALLY to my new home.

It is a pain, but it is do-able.

Cedar

Offline Foxfire

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
Liquor stores have great boxes for storing jars full or otherwise. Most boxes have cardboard dividers.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
Liquor stores have great boxes for storing jars full or otherwise. Most boxes have cardboard dividers.

*S* Not where I was.. my mom couldn't believe it either.. NO cardboard boxes for packing.

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
That's interesting... you wouldn't think about differences like that between Canada and the U.S. I would have thought the packaging for cases of liquor would be the same or very similar.

Offline MidnightMidwife

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
Good point - being a renter has kept me from going wild and acquiring everything I would like to.  I'm sure that sometime down the road we'll have to move - and I dread to think of what I'll be forced to leave behind.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »
That's interesting... you wouldn't think about differences like that between Canada and the U.S. I would have thought the packaging for cases of liquor would be the same or very similar.

I lived WAY up there.. boxes were like a premium.. and they put the cans on flats.

Cedar