Author Topic: 36" GE Monogrham refridgerator took a dump after only 6 years  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
Just what the title says.  Its a stainless steel model.  Is there anything I should salvage from it?  Or just junk it? 

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 36" GE Monogrham refridgerator took a dump after only 6 years
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:05 PM »
What's wrong with it?  I can't believe that it couldn't be fixed.  I think one aspect of the survival podcast is getting away from our disposable lifestyle. 

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
New one was $499.  VS. $99 for the tech just to knock on your door?  And then we have parts to worry about.  Extended warranty is over and reading up on these, it looks like GE has been dropping the ball on quality.    Many folks end up paying up to $700 on basic repairs for it to only take a dump a few weeks later. 

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Looking at it...  I will make a few calls.  But Those large sheets of Stainless Steel look mighty attractive.   

Offline something_feral

• Senior Survivalist
    • Something Feral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Do you have a model number for the refrigerator? I recently replaced the control-board on our GE GDL20KCSABS; ~$100 from Amazon(!) fixed the problem with that particular appliance.

Odds are that you're not alone with your troubles on any GE appliance, so take a look and see what the Internet offers up in the way of advice and parts... You might be pleasantly surprised.  ;)

(Any work you might do might void your warranty, but if it's worthless to begin with, there's no harm in ignoring it (in my humble opinion).)

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
I have had two electronic devices go bad recently. A GE fridge similar to yours and a Philips flat screen TV. In both cases it was 47uf capacitors that were bad. They are fairly easy to spot when bad. Changing the capacitor on the TV was the total fix. On the GE the capacitors did a partial fix and some re-engineering completed the job. It  absolutely sucks the way these electrical devices get screwed up by trying to make everything green and what is worse is $1oo for that GE control card.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
Gas-mask; I used to work for Sears as a refrigeration mechanic and the last 13 years as a commercial HVAC mechanic, I can't tell you whats wrong without further explanation? did it just stop cooling? is the lights still on? did it warm up over time? or was it all of a sudden? Unplug it for a few hours then plug it back in, does the compressor start and then stop?

Hard to troubleshoot this way but even a compressor would cost you $300-400 anything made since 92 is mostly junk these days unless you buy something high end. Could be cheap as a over current safety to a relay..under $100... check on craigslist under services, sometimes you can get a independent guy to come out and check it out for $40-50 cash...tell him cash... he will probably give you a straight answer, can't tell you how many fridges i've picked up for free and put $50 into them and then sold them for $300 or more.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
New one was $499.  VS. $99 for the tech just to knock on your door?  And then we have parts to worry about.  Extended warranty is over and reading up on these, it looks like GE has been dropping the ball on quality.    Many folks end up paying up to $700 on basic repairs for it to only take a dump a few weeks later.

Not sure what model number you have, but new stainless GE 36" monogram's go for $3-6k not $500.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:31:10 AM »
I was going the cheap way out...   Yeah, that monogram did a number on me...   Warranty is done...  Soooo?
Lights go one but the digital control reader/panel is caput.  No compressor anything..  I plugged it back in but no cigar.

Model number ZFSB26DRB SS

Controls that took a dump.

Blabber blah, blah...  (its past 2am... I"m tired)

Sending the fridge back.  TOO SMALL.  And the chest freezer was all banged up.  Need to choose a larger one.

Also, I just realized that a monogram is just re badged profile.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
That's probably a good sign, if there isn't anything lit up then it could be a control board, fuse or relay. I'm not familiar with that one exactly so I can't tell you for sure. It's probably not the compressor so that's good...compressors are the big $$$. if you could get it fixed for a few hundred I would do that, looks to be more than a $500 fridge to me...