Author Topic: 44 mag load jack mentioned  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Student ant

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
44 mag load jack mentioned
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
In episode 451 Jack mentions a 44 mag load that he found published by Lyman that is relatively quiet for a 44 mag.  Does anyone know of this load data and where I can find it? Thanks, I intended on emailing Jack directly, but then I thought why not give the forum a try first.

Offline monger20

• Prepper
Re: 44 mag load jack mentioned
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
I recall the quiet 44 mag load to be a custom load for rifles only that could only be obtained through experimentation. You load a heavy bullet & a light charge. Incrementally reduce the charge until all the powder is burnt up in the barrel. The flash & load loud report is from the unburned powder outside of the barrel.

I have a 44 mag lever action & am planing on doing this with but just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you get to it before me let me know how it goes and if there is a published starting point am interested in the data as well.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
Here's the info from Jack's notes on the show titled The Pistol Caliber Carbine in Survival Planning.

My Special 44 Special Load for Quiet Carbine Use

This is a 44 Special Load from an older Lee Manual.  Do NOT reduce any further!

300 Grain Lead Bullet
Standard Large Pistol Primer
9.8-11.5 grains of H4227

I settled on an even 10 Grains of Powder.  In a 20 Inch barreled 1894 Marlin 44 Magnum it is quieter then most Break Barrel Pellet guns and will penetrate 7 inches of solid pressure treated lumber at 25 yards and is accurate to about 50 yards before the low velocity takes over and drop becomes extreme.

Offline Student ant

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:38 AM »
Thank you very much, I can't wait to try it out.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:07:32 AM »
Trail Boss powder works well for this sort of load too-

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but Jack mentioned this load again on the podcast recently. Does anyone have a link to the load data he refers to? He mentioned it worked very will in a Marlin 1894 (which I have) but I would assume the longer barrel would make it go supersonic... Am I wrong? Will the same load work in a revolver?

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
The same load would work in a revolver, but would be louder. While it is true that the velocity does increase in the barrel, this load would overcome that because the bullet will accelerate while the expanding gasses are pushing it through the bore, then begin to drop as soon as the bullet exits the barrel. This load seems to do what it does because the gases reach their maximum expansion while the bullet is still in the barrel and the velocity actually begins to fall while the bullet is still in the barrel. For this reason i would start at the top end of this load and work backwards. Most cartridges have more than enough powder to still have combustion occuring when the bullet leaves the muzzle, which is why velocity normally increases with barrel lenght.

This load fired in a revolver would still have powder burning when the bullet clears the muzzle.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
Hey there trekker, thanks... That makes perfect sense. Does anyone have the link to the load that Jack refers to? I seem to find a couple online using anywhere between 3 - 6 grains of powder.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
Wow... Am I slow today or what. I see the load above.

Offline NotAfraidInMichigan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »
A topic that keeps popping up, I love it.  The 44 Special load that Jack talks about is from the Lee Manual First edition.

It's available online and .pdf: https://archive.org/details/Modern_Reloading_1st_Edition_by_Richard_Lee
Page 464 (PDF version)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
I have a load for .45 Colt that uses a round ball from a muzzleloader and just a few grains of powder. It sounds like a cap gun from a revolver. I wouldn't dare load it into a carbine. I'm pretty sure there were similar loads for .44 spl/mag and .357/.38 in the manual if anyone wants me to dig through my manuals.