Author Topic: Hand Powered Cooking  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Hand Powered Cooking
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »
Just a few notes (and perhaps an opinion or three ;-) regarding Code requirements.  Forgive me if I become a bit screedy.

great info.  thanks for teaching me some new things.  :)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I, as many others, live in a pre-code house.    As much as I would like to have a slightly modified version of the kitchen that "Good Eats" is modeled after, we have to make do with what we have.   I don't have a food processor, I use a moulie.    I have a hand mixer for when I mix batter, but mostly I use a whisk.    I have a lot more 'stuff' in my kitchen than I use, but deciding what to get rid of is hard.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline HumbleInKentucky

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
PEANUT BUTTER MIXER
I'd been stirring old fashioned PB with knives to the point of exhaustion.   This is awesome.  Be sure to get the right size for your favorite brand's jar
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:08:01 PM by HumbleInKentucky »

Offline HumbleInKentucky

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
MEAT SLICER
Another great $15 yard sale score.  I've only used this to slice up tip roast into perfect size strips for dehydrating jerky.   Though I'm sure it works just as well as an electric for whatever the task.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I just found the best juicer.  I bought the yellow one first, but it was too small for the small oranges I had to juice, so I ended up getting an orange one as well.  I had lost my receipt, so I didn't bother taking back the yellow one.  It may well be useful in the future anyway, since I think the orange one will have too much empty space to effectively juice a lemon.

http://www.chefn.com/Product.aspx?id=251

I am very pleased - it juiced things quickly, effectively and without hurting my hands.  Even my 8-yo was able to use it.  and I got 2 quarts of juice in about 20 min of using it.
and - no little parts that are a pain to clean; just throw it in the dishwasher.  :)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
PEANUT BUTTER MIXER
I'd been stirring old fashioned PB with knives to the point of exhaustion.   This is awesome.  Be sure to get the right size for your favorite brand's jar

How is clean up on this contraption?
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline HumbleInKentucky

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Pulling the handle through the holes in the seals removes most of the PB, soap and water takes the oil off of the rest easily.  It's 100% cleaner that slopping oil on the counter top, it's quicker, doesn't wear your arm out, mixes well with good technique.

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »
PEANUT BUTTER MIXER
I'd been stirring old fashioned PB with knives to the point of exhaustion.

And I thoght I was the only one. If it works any better than a knife it'll be worth the money.

My wife has been commenting that all natural peanut butter has been going up in price. I refuse to grow, harvest, clean, roast, shell and blend up peanuts for peanut butter.

anyone know a place to order peanut seeds  ;D
Standing Order #19. Let the enemy come 'til he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him with you hatchet. - Maj Robert Rogers, 1759

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
Not to get too off topic but, I buy the Meijer Brand all natural crunchy PB.  Ingredients: Peanuts  It was difficult to find for awhile.  Last time they got some in it was $2.79 a jar and I bought a case.  This stirring thing might come in handy!
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline HumbleInKentucky

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
On peanut butter... I just like gritty, real, PB that separates.  The creamy smooth crap like Jif is disgusting by comparison.  MRE, 80's school and government PB was awesome.  Plus, I have a feeling that homogenized PB is just as unhealthy for arteries as homogenize milk is.  The fat globules are seperated too small for the body to digest and eliminate.  As much as I've read...