Author Topic: Recent Empowering Moment  (Read 5509 times)

Offline joules

• Prepper
Recent Empowering Moment
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:22:39 AM »
What has been your recent empowering event?

For me, it is the following:

I had a situation recently where our garbage disposal stopped working. My husband told me about it with the assumption that we would have to get another. After about a week of thinking about how to replace the unit as this was the first disposal unit I owned, I decided to test it out and see how it was broken. I flipped it on, and it had a motor sound that would stop after a few seconds. As such, I investigated it more and recalled the kind man at the local Home Depot told me something about the disposal involving a hex wrench tool. Thus, I fiddled with the tool to discover that it was a manual turner for the moving parts. This helped me to find the cause of the disposal problem: a bottle cap had dropped into the unit sticking the moving parts triggering the unit's safety shutoff to prevent more damage. So, with the help of some tongs, I fished out all the tiny bits of what was left of the bottle cap.

That event left me with a very empowering feeling.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Recent Empowering Moment
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:43 AM »
hey, go see this post:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21560.msg257310#msg257310

I love it when we can brag on ourselves.  especially when it is not something we thought we could do before we did it.  you are right, it is empowering.
and really, if it is already broken and we think we need a new one, tinkering with it isn't going to hurt anything, right?
welcome to the forum.  and thank you for sharing your power with us.

Offline MCopes

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »
Way to go!  Congrats!

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
Right on good job.  That saved some $$

Offline joules

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
hey, go see this post:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21560.msg257310#msg257310

I love it when we can brag on ourselves.  especially when it is not something we thought we could do before we did it.  you are right, it is empowering.
and really, if it is already broken and we think we need a new one, tinkering with it isn't going to hurt anything, right?
welcome to the forum.  and thank you for sharing your power with us.

Thanks for the read. I'm browsing through some older threads on the first page for the first time and see the huge red warnings about them being old. As such, I am hesitant to chime in on those topics.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
phisss... old, schmold.  we cannot hold you responsible for just joining us  :P.  if you have something pertinent to say about an "old" topic, say it.  we welcome new thoughts and new skills.  and the mods like to combine topics - just a few weeks ago, they combined 5-6 threads on growing tobacco, all started cuz someone didn't want to add something to an "old" topic.  I do not know if it is an automatic warning built into forums, but in general, ignore it around here.  ;D

have you been to the intro thread yet?  oh, yes I see you have.  well, welcome.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
...I'm browsing through some older threads on the first page for the first time and see the huge red warnings about them being old. ...

Yeah, what's with those warnings anyway?  They make no sense.  One of the forum admins ought to... uh, :o

[...tinker tinker...]

Huge red warnings about old topics are GONE. ;D

(I loved your garbage disposal story, joules!)

Offline Cyara

• Prepper
    • Eden Paradigm
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
Would I do it? Yes! I am..... always hoping to meet someone who wants this lifestyle too... but not letting that hold me back. Developing my Permaculture dream with everything I have. Learned to build with rocks so can structures ready for livestock soon... establishing my Food Forest... always learning.... and LOVING IT. I would put my blog link here if it didn't seem a bit spammy. But I suggest you go for it.... too great to let it slip away when it is in your grasp. Will probably take longer than you think to get where you want to be... and take more from you than you thought possible... but for me.... still LOVING IT. Chelle

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
cool blog, Chelle... thanks for sharing it.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Love your blog, Chelle.