Author Topic: The $20 bow  (Read 5958 times)

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
The $20 bow
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
I have 55 acres of land at my disposal now.  I have a good rifle.  What I haven't had in the past is land and time to go deer hunting.  Well, listening to TSP has forced me to realign my priorities a little and I'm making time to hunt more.  All of my deer hunting experience is on public land.  Now I have land with tons of sign all over it.  The deer are there, but I don't want to wait until November have a chance to take a deer.  So, I'm getting started in bowhunting.  My wife and I went to Bass Pro shops and looked at a few bows.  She's patient with me like that.  It looks like it could cost me roughly $900 or so to get what I want after a little research.  The problem is that I don't have $900 bucks laying around right now and I need to start practicing NOW if I want to be good enough to take a deer if the situation presents itself.

Well, a couple of weeks ago my wife goes to a garage sale down the block and walks back with this compound bow.  She paid $20 for a Bear Polar LTD.  It is set up for someone with about my wingspan and the draw feels about right.  It didn't have any accessories with it except a peep sight.  After a $58 dollars at academy for a few arrows, target points, a sight, 2 bales of straw, and a cheap thumb release I'm in business.  $78 total!

I've been practicing every night with this $20 bow that probably saw action when the Romans defeated the Gauls, but it's a better bow than I am for now, however I did get my first Robin Hood last night at 30 yards.  Now if I can just tighten that group on a regular basis.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: The $20 bow
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
That's fantastic!!! and at 20 bucks too.

I have intentions of getting into archery... eventually.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »
Garage sale find awesome!

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
I have intentions of getting into archery... eventually.

If I remember correctly you live in Socal?  I used to shoot archery at El Dorado Park (Long Beach area) when I was a kid.  It's close to the 605 so it has good fwy access.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
Mile Square has an archery range as well, it is ~ 2 miles from my place.  Wonder how the neighbors would react to me riding my bike down the street with a bow strapped across my back  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
Mile Square has an archery range as well, it is ~ 2 miles from my place.  Wonder how the neighbors would react to me riding my bike down the street with a bow strapped across my back  ;D
probably freak out. darn sheep

Offline burbot

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
Congrats.  With bowhunting practice and hunting skills are more important than the bow in my opinion.  I'm still shooting a PSE Fireflight I bought back in the early 90's (it was outdated when I bought it) and aluminum arrows.  My buddies give me S**t when we practice because of their super fast, carbon arrow shooting, high tech bows.  When we deer hunt I do just as well as them.  If there is an equipment issue with their bow, they head to bow shop.  If I have an issue I get out the tools do what I have to and I am back in the field quickly because I know my bow.  Any decent bow is fine, it's the hunter that that makes it good.  Knocken down this fall and enjoy the fresh steaks.  You can't beat fresh backstraps over an open fire  :) !

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »
I have had two great garage sale finds with archery equipment. One was a ben pearson #45 recurve for $20, and the other was a Fred Bear Whitetail hunter. Both shoot fairly well and are neat additions to my "stuff". The Bear Whitetail hunter is the "old" style with the cable passing through pulleys attached to the riser, not just cam to cam. It was tough to tune at first, but once I got it handled it shot decent.

Offline survivNca

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
I love archery. I was an archery freak for about 3 years and learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about bow dynamics and the flight of an arrow. If you have any questions i would love to try and help. Hows the string condition on the old bow?

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
UPDATE:  I just upgraded from my $20 Bear to a $100 PSE Nova that can't be more than 3 years old.  eBay has some good deals.  It sure seems like there's a lot of bow hunters out there who have to get the latest model and they will sell off their 1 or 2 year old bows fairly cheap.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
glasses , PSE had a bad batch the bows that would blow up on you.
Shoot a lot , im shooting 1 1/2 hour a night , with 3 diffrent bows.
Just find what works for you. good luck

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
your bow is probably OK.  I have the same discount bow I bought new 25 years ago (I was 13).  I have killed deer with it for the last three years when I picked it back up.  If you have a buddy who could take a glance at it, that would be good.  He may be able to point out things like one of the other posters mentioned such as the sting. 

Good find and good luck.  I can't think of a hunting adventure that brings you closer to nature.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »
Great find. I too shoot a 20 dollar garage sale special. After I bought it I took it to a local archery shop and had him put on a new string and tune it up. I've shot long bows since I was about 8 yoa. Enjoy the equipment and have fun. It's not about how new your stuff is but how proficient and confident your are with what you have. Good hunting.