Author Topic: So how are your grocery stores? Eerie for me  (Read 47953 times)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: So how are your grocery stores? Eerie for me
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
My son just went to the store for me to get eggs.  When he came home, he was complaining about the price of the eggs. $1.84 for large.  He said that the extra large (that I like) no longer exist there.  :'(

But, there is a "chicken farmer" along the route that I drive who sells eggs.  ;D I saw  ;D 5 today, roaming around his yard.  I don't know how much he charges, but even if they are smaller than I get at the store, I will get some from him (them).

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:13 AM »
This is something I've been noticing (and loudly complaining to K about) for the past two years or so. More shelves going bare, more remodeling to reduce shelf space, more size changes and price increases. The milk we buy has gone up by 70 cents in the past six months. The local Kroger has more bare shelves than ever; there's some things that have been out for at least a week.

K recently had to do the weekly shopping run while I was sick. (We do prep, of course, but we buy milk, eggs, fresh veggies and the like on a weekly basis.) My lovely spouse has been hearing me complain about the price increases and didn't believe it, but K came home with sticker shock!

endurance

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
My son just went to the store for me to get eggs.  When he came home, he was complaining about the price of the eggs. $1.84 for large.  He said that the extra large (that I like) no longer exist there.  :'(

But, there is a "chicken farmer" along the route that I drive who sells eggs.  ;D I saw  ;D 5 today, roaming around his yard.  I don't know how much he charges, but even if they are smaller than I get at the store, I will get some from him (them).
I was investing in an egg company for a while so I started tracking the price of eggs locally.  Here's what I found for 12 large:
5/12/08-2 dozen for $3 (sale)
6/14/08-$1.58
7/22/08-$1.72
9/9/08-$1.52
11/10/08-$1.42
3/23/09-$1.26
7/21/09-$0.88
11/09/09-$1.07
12/28/10-$1.69

No, it wasn't at regular intervals, but just something I jotted down when I thought about it in my Blackberry.  About the only conclusion I could come to is that there's a lot of volitility in the egg market.  Your securing a local source for eggs seems like a much better choice anyway.  Not only does the money stay in your local economy, you also know how the eggs are cared for, which is something the rest of us still buying from the store don't want to know.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 08:25:52 AM »
The milk we buy has gone up by 70 cents in the past six months.

Expect it to go even higher a few months down the road where you will be happy to pay the prices you are today. That is what the agriculture future reports are saying.

Cedar

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
I was investing in an egg company for a while so I started tracking the price of eggs locally.  Here's what I found for 12 large:
5/12/08-2 dozen for $3 (sale)
6/14/08-$1.58
7/22/08-$1.72
9/9/08-$1.52
11/10/08-$1.42
3/23/09-$1.26
7/21/09-$0.88
11/09/09-$1.07
12/28/10-$1.69

No, it wasn't at regular intervals, but just something I jotted down when I thought about it in my Blackberry.  About the only conclusion I could come to is that there's a lot of volitility in the egg market.  Your securing a local source for eggs seems like a much better choice anyway.  Not only does the money stay in your local economy, you also know how the eggs are cared for, which is something the rest of us still buying from the store don't want to know.

There was a story a few years ago about a store (can't remember where or name of store) that would take the "expired" eggs (they had a date "stamped" on them) to the backroom, wash off the ink ane re-stamp them with a new date and replaced them on the shelf. (I think it was on CBS)

endurance

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
There was a story a few years ago about a store (can't remember where or name of store) that would take the "expired" eggs (they had a date "stamped" on them) to the backroom, wash off the ink ane re-stamp them with a new date and replaced them on the shelf. (I think it was on CBS)
Yep, it's bad.  A few years back a local station had home video of a major grocery store leaving pallets of eggs sitting in an unrefrigerated storeroom for four straight days during the summer.  The defense of the grocery store was that the area was air conditioned to a safe temperature.  Sorry, but the USDA says:

Safe Storage in Stores
At the store, choose Grade A or AA eggs with clean, uncracked shells. Make sure they've been refrigerated in the store. Any bacteria present in an egg can multiply quickly at room temperature. When purchasing egg products or substitutes, look for containers that are tightly sealed.

Bringing Eggs Home from the Store
Take eggs straight home and store them immediately in the refrigerator set at 40 °F or below. Keep them in their carton and place them in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door.

Unless their backroom was air conditioned to 45F, that's just screwed up!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
And "they" wonder why people get sick from them. ("You left your egg salad out, unrefrigerated too long" eg: picnic. Blaming the consumer)

Add to that the crowded "living" conditions that the poor chickens have to live in.

When my mother worked in a grocery store, the butcher would remove old/moldy bacon, rinse with vinegar and scrub off mold and return it to the shelf.  >:(

endurance

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 08:10:55 PM »
It was one thing to have them sit on store shelves for 2-3 days before refrigeration, but considering that now things may sit in a warehouse for a week, before getting to the store for a week in the back room, before getting to the shelf...  That's a lot of time for bacteria to reproduce.  And as you said, then there's the chicken's living conditions.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »
Yep! Growing your own sounds better all the time!

Offline Archeofuturist

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
We sell our surplus eggs at the local farmers market for 6 dollars a dozen. We always sell out within the first 20 minutes.

We have to charge that much to simply pay for the feed. Considering costs of raising chicks with no production, molts, etc... its barely a break even kind of operation in a GOOD month.

Upside is we eat a boatload of our own fresh, free range, organic eggs. So we come out ahead on that deal.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
I miss REAL eggs!  :'(
Several years ago, the parents of one of the kids on my bus raised chickens and sold the eggs. I used to buy some when I took him home.  ;D

Offline Halyna

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
I've been doing a lot of shopping the past couple of days and I'm getting a little uneasy about things.
1) Went to Tractor Supply:  Everytime I go there they always tell me they are out of canning supplies...  I told them I've been coming every other week and you always tell me that.  Guess, I'd just better shop somewhere else from now on. (I was nice about it, but truly ...)
2) Went to Walmart.  I couldn't believe their store brand of bread, hamburger buns & hot dog buns went from 99c to $1.25.  And that's the Walmart brand! 
3) Went to Giant Eagle, though their bread was still 99c, a good bit of the shelves were empty where they had advertised specials.  I asked them if they had a problem with employees (as I was looking for a part time job & would stock their shelves).  They just said they'd have to look into it.
But I think the worst part was months ago, when I was ordering dehydrated foods on line, I couldnt believe I was on a 30-day waiting list (if they couldnt get it to me by then, they'd cancel my back order).  e.g. powdered milk.  I ended up ordering 1 case from 3 different supplies and after continuous follow up I did get them but I had to wait months.  Finally one supplier told me the Feds were buying it all, placing huge orders, and we had to wait until that order was filled.  Other long-term food storage told me similar things:  one said the govt was buying it all up and shipping it to Japan because of their earthquake, another one said the govt was buying it up to stock the under ground bunkers in Colorado.  (then 9/26 you hear Obama is suddenly in the Denver area...but nobody could tell why).
If that doesn't tell you 'somethings up' I doubt if much else will.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Peanut butter has jumped from $7 for the really large jar (2#?) to $9. No chunky either, just (feh, yuck!) creamy.  ;)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
Oh, no! Gotta have crunchy - EXTRA CRUNCHY.  :clap: (JIF)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
When it comes to peanut butter, we were already paying more as we get the "all natural" since middle son is severely allergic to rape seed oil...it gives him severe stomach cramps and vomiting for hours.  I can't wait to get enough land to plant my own peanuts.  We grew them when I was a kid (they are easy to grow) and there is nothing on the shelves that taste as good as fresh homemade peanut butter - think store bought tomatoes vs home grown garden fresh ones.  And when you make PB yourself, you can make it as crunchy or as smooth as you like. :)   

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
I saw a 2.5 pound jar of peanut butter in Tom Thumb yesterday for almost $9.00

Next to it was a 3.5 jar of peanut butter for almost $12.00

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »
When it comes to peanut butter, we were already paying more as we get the "all natural" since middle son is severely allergic to rape seed oil...it gives him severe stomach cramps and vomiting for hours.  I can't wait to get enough land to plant my own peanuts.  We grew them when I was a kid (they are easy to grow) and there is nothing on the shelves that taste as good as fresh homemade peanut butter - think store bought tomatoes vs home grown garden fresh ones.  And when you make PB yourself, you can make it as crunchy or as smooth as you like. :)

This is on my list.... but I need a big enough green house for that, since we are looking far above the mason-dixon (we like snow :P)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »
This is on my list.... but I need a big enough green house for that, since we are looking far above the mason-dixon (we like snow :P)

What's your USDA gardening zone? I'm in Zone 5a, although we've had temps dip to -30°F with wind chill even lower.  They need about 130 days from germination to harvest, but if your area gets less than that, you can extend your growing season by starting the seeds indoors and using row covers. And you can put down black plastic on your garden in the spring in order to heat up the ground faster.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:03 AM »
What's your USDA gardening zone? I'm in Zone 5a, although we've had temps dip to -30°F with wind chill even lower.  They need about 130 days from germination to harvest, but if your area gets less than that, you can extend your growing season by starting the seeds indoors and using row covers. And you can put down black plastic on your garden in the spring in order to heat up the ground faster.
sweet!  we are currently, well, I do not remember. I want to say 5-6.  but we will (hopefully) be moving north soon for our forever homestead.

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
Here in northern central Michigan our gorcery stores usually have "enough", but it's certainly less stock than I've seen in past years.  For loss leader sales, forget about getting any if you go other than the first day.  DH had been doing the majority of grocery shopping for the past couple of years and I didn't realize how much prices had increased.  Sheesh!  I just read on Yahoo News that the latest snow storm has severely affected beef producers, so I plan to stock up on beef when I can.  I usually look at the "Manager's Special" bin first.  These are packages of meat "sell by" dates are coming very quickly.  If I place these in the freezer immediately, they are just fine for several months.  This is the only way I can afford to buy meat at Krogers and Meijers; I don't trust the Walmart in town.  Fortunately we also have a couple of meat and vegetable stores whose stock is usually much fresher and sometimes cheaper than the big-box groceries. 

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
having recently moved back to small town texas, i have found our local markets to have fewer brand name items, more generics and latino brands. we have a changing demographic here i suppose.. and most texans believe mexican food is our regional cuisine. The fresh produce at my local mom and pop grocery used to be pretty reliable but nowdays.. its just bruised, dry. damaged basics. thank goodness for gardening. the meat dept stocks groundmeat. a few steaks (tough and expensive) and pork cuts. the fish and fowl look to be vac pack not fresh cut. and a good bit off chicken backs, wings and organ meats. neck bones and other cheapest type meats ..It used to be that our local butcher did the cutting and wrapping. such a shame. ahhh well my age and memory may have romanticized the facts. the grocery shelves are barely stocked with off goods at premium prices.. ,most of our town is either retired, or young under or un employed. a large latino population and a few of us mid lifers. we are a rural community so the farmers market consists of neighbors trading and bartering. its kinda sad to see a once thriving community wither. the availability of basic needs seems to be met in the larger towns some 20 miles away ( where the jobs are at lower pay and fewer benefits) perhaps our time in distant major city has skewed my reality. I can certainly see a major panic if distribution to these small communities becomes a problem. stocking up and planting more garden here seems to be the way to go.

endurance

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
..It used to be that our local butcher did the cutting and wrapping. such a shame. ahhh well my age and memory may have romanticized the facts.
It's only been in the last 15 years that the local butchers have disappeared off the landscape of the supermarket.  It's become so much cheaper to have massive meat processing facilities that use production line methods to process animals that the single butcher that does everything is a thing of the past in all but the local butcher shops (which now seem exorbitantly priced by comparison).  Butchering is becoming a lost art and if there's ever a major SHTF there's a lot of meat that will go to waste, along with a serious decline in the sanitation of the process, until the art is recovered.  That's just one more reason to learn to butcher your own meat.  My cuts may not be pretty, but I'm at least on the learning curve.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
It's become so much cheaper to have massive meat processing facilities that use production line methods to process animals that the single butcher that does everything is a thing of the past in all but the local butcher shops (which now seem exorbitantly priced by comparison). 
[/quote

Not to mention the work is not out for them as much, as less and less people are raising their own animals for butchering as less and less people are on land to raise an animal/s.

Cedar

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
I just got back from the grocery store (Kroger.) They must have gotten a couple of trucks in today because they were loaded.

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
kudos to learning to butcher.. i have been helping the DH with cleaning game. learning to dress and clean deer and wild hogs has brought me a much needed skill set. maybe not the same cuts as the much loved and remembered butcher .. but i am getting the hang of things thanks to youtube

nkawtg

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »
No troubles here in Vegas.

Offline dani3077

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:11 AM »
Cream cheese at Walmart -great value brand-is now $1.98. Philly cream cheese is 2.28? (I think on that last one. I know it was over 2.20). After it just being .98, I about passed out looking at the new prices!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »
Cream cheese at Walmart -great value brand-is now $1.98. Philly cream cheese is 2.28? (I think on that last one. I know it was over 2.20). After it just being .98, I about passed out looking at the new prices!

those are the reg prices for cream cheese here in no. utah.  well, the store brand where I shop anyway (not wal-mart, I avoid when I can.  I hate the design of the parking lots.  seriously, that is why I avoid.  I cannot stand parking there!)
anyway, back to the generic cream cheese (which in taste tests at our house came out on top of Philly).  it generally goes on sale about every 3 months for .98, and I buy 12 boxes.  as long as you don't open it, it stays good that long.  and I don't have to buy it at twice that when I need it.  plus, we always have cream cheese when we need it.   ;D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
Son went to the store yesterday - No 25# bags of sugar, No family size teabags. He will go again on Wednesday.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »
Did the shopping last night.  No milk.  Of course we did get about 1/4 of an inch of snow here in southwest Ohio, so the city all but shut down.  Must have been a major panic.  A note on the dairy door said "2 gallons per customer".  Didn't need it so much, so no big deal, probably a shipping problem.  But the note made me chuckle.