Author Topic: So how are your grocery stores? Eerie for me  (Read 47990 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: So how are your grocery stores? Eerie for me
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »
Well, even all the way back in 1957 the milk man and the bread man delivered everyday to my Grandpa's grocery store. (I know, because the milk man always let me get up into the back of his truck and gave me a pint of chocolate milk and the bread man always gave me a cherry fried pie.)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I've been tracking the price of a block of 32 oz mild chedder cheese at a local Kroger store for awhile.  I thought I had a great idea to just snap a picture of the cheese and the sticker (shock) price every time that I am there.  I've been doing this for over two years.  For some reason I have lost a couple of years' worth of this data.  (Sheesh, and I call myself an IT guy)  I started snapping pictures of the cheese when I saw the price rise above $4.50 a couple of years ago because I wanted to see if I was just turning into a grumpy old man (data indicates this still may be true) or, if indeed, food prices were rising and remaining high.  Here's the results from just the past 6 months:

loyalty card      regular price
07/17/2011 7.49      8.49
08/6/2011  7.99      9.49
10/9/2011 8.99      9.59
10/22/2011 6.99      9.99
11/16/2011  6.99   10.29
12/5/2011  6.99      10.29
12/30/2011 7.99      10.29

At Wally World, I also noticed the Value brand of apple juice jump 12% overnight.  Many cereal boxes have been reduced in size or weight.  The regular size bottle of Miracle Whip has just jumped to $5.69 at Kroger.

This year, the 1lb price of pasta Barilla spaghetti past was exactly $1.00 for many months at a local Kroger store.  Then overnight it jumped to $1.25 and they had the audacity to display a sticker "New Low Price!".  So I HAD to ask the store manager about this. I politely told her that the price was $1.00 last week.  If it went up 25%, how is this a "new low price".  She stammered and gave me an answer that sounded like she should be in congress.  "Well, based on our costs, it should be even higher, but we managed to reduce it from what it should be, and from what our competitors are charging."  I told her that her customers would probably appreciate a less deceptive approach to dealing with prices. She directed me to track down their marketing department online.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
Since  I have done the weekly grocery shopping for the last 7+ years, it is hard to get my wife to sometimes appreciate the growing cost of doing the shopping.  Of all of the examples I can give, the best one is when bananas went from $.49/pound to $.54/pound.  I told her bananas went up 5 cents a pound and she says "so what?"  That is a 10% increase, and it is one of the more moderate increases I come home with. 

Other than getting gouged, there hasn't been anything particularly strange at the grocery store.

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
Ive noticed a serious rise in price on about e everything. Not many canned goods below a dollar a can of anything. The spread between store brands and name brands seems less too (i have no proof though)!

I wonder how much of it has to do with tbe SNAP provram. I think without it there would be a lot less demand for food, people would starve, but i think the billions of influx from the program have had an effect on prices. Im not saying the program is good or bad,only that billions of dollars has an effect.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
I wonder how much of it has to do with tbe SNAP provram. I think without it there would be a lot less demand for food, people would starve, but i think the billions of influx from the program have had an effect on prices. Im not saying the program is good or bad,only that billions of dollars has an effect.

{Struck a nerve here, so I'm stepping up onto my soap box for a minute......nuthin' personal}

I don't think people would starve.  My mom works in a welfare office.  She says the majority of people who come in for "benefits" are overweight, have iPhones, their kids have cell phones, their kids are sporting name brand clothes, etc.  She catches a large percentage of them trying to cheat the system too.  (Unfortunately, her county can only blacklist them for the remainder of that calendar year.)

The ones who truly need the program are willing to get up early, take the bus to the county training programs and work hard.  My mom, in turn, works hard for them too.  My mom has been on both sides of her desk (a recipient of these benefits) and has seen it all.

Heck, as I drive by the "project" housing in town, I see a dish mounted on the roof for almost every tenant!  What a waste of our tax dollars!

Starving?  Not in this country.  I have personally seen desperation (shanty towns, hunger, homes made from pallets, etc) in many other countries, but not here in the US.

{Steps off of soap box}

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
I agree ag2. 
I drive by the Public Aid office every day on the way to my job (a block away) and see the same type of people with their "toys" that your mother (and you) do. I have worked with women who are getting aid and who are living with their children's fathers (many of whom have very well paying jobs). So, they are getting paid for working, getting public aid (foodstamps/medial/housing) AND living off the father's income as well. 

Then there are the people who REALLY need help but can't get it. Go figure!  >:(

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
    • Response Technical
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
I pretty much agree with you ag2 i was just trying to put the point out there that i think the SNAP program has an effect on food prices without dragging the morality of the program into it. Should have said "some" ive help a christian relief program in the hills and it gave a new meaning to the word poor for me. But yes the SNAP program frees up money for games and tvs for too many, ive seen that too.

In the rental range my wife and i are in we compete with section 8 renters and i know we are paying about 200 a month more than if there was no section 8 program to compete against.

I suppose my point is taxes are only part of the cost of so many "social programs" and i think food cost as been raised as such. If you look at the growth of the SNAP program over the past 3 years and the coralating rise in food prices. Just putting that out there.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I pretty much agree with you ag2 i was just trying to put the point out there that i think the SNAP program has an effect on food prices without dragging the morality of the program into it. Should have said "some" ive help a christian relief program in the hills and it gave a new meaning to the word poor for me. But yes the SNAP program frees up money for games and tvs for too many, ive seen that too.

In the rental range my wife and i are in we compete with section 8 renters and i know we are paying about 200 a month more than if there was no section 8 program to compete against.

I suppose my point is taxes are only part of the cost of so many "social programs" and i think food cost as been raised as such. If you look at the growth of the SNAP program over the past 3 years and the coralating rise in food prices. Just putting that out there.

If the population suddenly increased, I might agree with you.  We all eat. The food budget comes out of our paycheck or out of our benefits check.  It still comes to our table.  The SNAP/FSP program has grown, no doubt.  Some of us earn our own living while some of us use more assistance in the recent years.  We have seen a shift in the number of people using benefits, but not necessarily a growth in the number of people who eat.  Since we all eat three meals a day, I don't see how the SNAP program could put such a burden on the demand of food.

I have seen a number of local restaurants close their doors in the last few years due to the economy.  If anything, I would think that the overall amount of food consumed has been reduced (restaurants waste much food by serving large portions) during this recession.  People eat out less and people are more frugal than in years past.

I think that commodity prices and the weakened US dollar are generally attributed to the food inflation we see right now.  Some have put the blame on gas prices, but I don't buy that because gas prices have generally fallen since peaking in 2008.  I could be completely wrong and I'm always open to learning something new.

Our little rabbit trail here is putting us a risk of getting a wagging finger and a tisk tisk from our moderator if we veer off track too much.   :)

Offline dani3077

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
those are the reg prices for cream cheese here in no. utah.  well, the store brand where I shop anyway (not wal-mart, I avoid when I can.  I hate the design of the parking lots.  seriously, that is why I avoid.  I cannot stand parking there!)
anyway, back to the generic cream cheese (which in taste tests at our house came out on top of Philly).  it generally goes on sale about every 3 months for .98, and I buy 12 boxes.  as long as you don't open it, it stays good that long.  and I don't have to buy it at twice that when I need it.  plus, we always have cream cheese when we need it.   ;D

Regular price here (Arkansas) is 1.29-1.38. For generic. I only buy philly if I have a coupon to make it cheaper than generic, or if it is on sale cheaper. I also buy several when on sale and wait until the next sale. I was just browsing and seen that-I for sure did not buy any of it!! Dairy and egg prices have been going up, so I should not be so shocked. (Milk 3.89-4.59 a gallon, eggs 1.69-1.99 for a dozen large)

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
    • Response Technical
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
If the population suddenly increased, I might agree with you.  We all eat. The food budget comes out of our paycheck or out of our benefits check.  It still comes to our table.  The SNAP/FSP program has grown, no doubt.  Some of us earn our own living while some of us use more assistance in the recent years.  We have seen a shift in the number of people using benefits, but not necessarily a growth in the number of people who eat.  Since we all eat three meals a day, I don't see how the SNAP program could put such a burden on the demand of food.

I have seen a number of local restaurants close their doors in the last few years due to the economy.  If anything, I would think that the overall amount of food consumed has been reduced (restaurants waste much food by serving large portions) during this recession.  People eat out less and people are more frugal than in years past.

I think that commodity prices and the weakened US dollar are generally attributed to the food inflation we see right now.  Some have put the blame on gas prices, but I don't buy that because gas prices have generally fallen since peaking in 2008.  I could be completely wrong and I'm always open to learning something new.

Our little rabbit trail here is putting us a risk of getting a wagging finger and a tisk tisk from our moderator if we veer off track too much.   :)

The Op stated on the 5th of June about food stuffs on the store shelves looking raided, barren, enough to post about it and the prices rising.

I'm agreeing with both. Just giving what I think is a part of the puzzle. Should I not do that? I'm still kinda new. Loving the forums, mostly lurk.

I believe that 45 million out of 300 or so million people having an extra $133 (average, some much more, some much less) each a month to spend on food and the cards being loaded on the 1st could have an effect of emptying the shelves by the 5th and on the long term rasing prices. Another report from someone else on the 25th says something like "Shelves fine here, prices higher"

I have a good friend that is meat manager at a local grocer and you should hear him go over and over and over how he orders his meat for the 1st as opposed to 10th and after the 15th halves his order because it won't sell because the SNAP cards have usually run out by then.

We paid $3.99 for store brand milk tonight that was $3.69 just a couple of months ago.

If one has an Aldi near them that is a great place and the prices are super low and the food is pretty darn good. Bring your own bags though. Meat and milk are like anywhere, chips and canned goods and cereal is a steal.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
To get this thread back on track, I would like to point out that food prices are going up due to a combination of increased demand from 3rd world countries for meat, rising input costs, and bad harvests. Grains are sold on the global market just like any other commodity; when several countries have bad harvests (as has happened in several this year) or the input costs go up (which happens every year and is getting worse), everyone who buys grains pays more. This has a cascading effect throughout the food system; bread goes up, but so does milk and other dairy products, as well as meat. Veggies are also going up thanks to smaller harvests in California and elsewhere.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2012, 07:07:21 AM »
Walmart brand milk was $2.69 per gallon yesterday, but they were completely out of 10 and 25 lb bags of sugar.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 07:12:15 AM »
I always get the 50lb bags of sugar at Costco. Yesterday, they had, literally, over a ton of it.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
Walmart brand milk was $2.69 per gallon yesterday
Thats a good price. Its like $3.69 around here.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
I guess, if you consider the market I live in, the lack of "empty shelves" isn't all that surprising.  I live in Southern California.  I have noticed the increase in price though.  $8 for a lbs of bacon (for the premium stuff)  most apples are $1.59 upwards of $2.00 per lb.  The salad greens... holy crap... $8-14 per lbs...

I think the days of the $2.00 steak are gone :/ >:( (at least, until I get my homestead up and running)

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
Wow!  The cost of living is certainly high out there in CA, our SE Texas grocery prices are about half that.  I love to shop at HEB, a regional chain out of San Antone with great prices and an excellent selection.  Produce is better than the local Kroger or Walmart ChinaMart.

A couple months back I bought 10 lbs of steak on loss leader special at $2.19/lb.  The Thanksgiving turkeys were 27¢ /lb.  Everyday bananas about 44¢ / lb.  The shelves stay pretty full there, a lot more backstock than ChinaMart across the street.

~TG

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
I just went to Kroger here in northern central Michigan.  Got a steal (for today's prices) on meat.  They had whole boneless sirloin "tip" that each ran about 14 lbs for $2.99/lb!!!  There were only FIVE in the bin and embarrassment made me leave one behind.  Thank God for a spare freezer!  On the other hand, there was a "dollar" sale and Kroger brand frozen veggies were a dollar each.  Problem was, though, that the packages had been reduced in weight from 16 oz to only 12 oz.  That's a 25% increase since last summer here.  Sheesh!!!

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
that the packages had been reduced in weight from 16 oz to only 12 oz.  That's a 25% increase since last summer here.  Sheesh!!!
Seems to be a trend. Potato chip bags used to be 6oz. Then they went to 5.5oz. Now I see most of them are 5oz.
I use cream of chicken soup in my chicken in dumplings recipe. The cans used to be 10.75oz. The ones I picked up recently are now 10.5oz.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
I've noticed that a number of canned items which were 16 oz are now 14.5 oz.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
A note about SNAP/FSB actually they're most certainly not all filled on the first the date you get your "fill" is in accordance with the last # of you ssn(in OR anyhow), this last summer I was on SNAP until I could shift my finances around...and the whole time I had(have) a very nice phone...that I had prior to snap..also owning brand name clothing is not hard to do if you shop at thrift stores..I know that people abuse the system but probably far less than most realise...I go shopping on the first..because that's when most meat is marked way down prior to it being tossed on the 2nd, I only go shopping twice a month as I live in a very small town and have to drive to a bigger town to shop and I hate stores, yesterday on my way home from the hardware store my DH asked me to stop for somethin at wallyworld, I haven't bought food items from there in a long time WOW everything was depleted and extremely marked up..and this is a super center..it was mainly dairy product that was depleted and eggs..2# block of wallyworld cheese was 10.99 brand-name 13.99 gallon of wallyworld 2% 3.89! Whole milk 3.95! Eggs (a huge isle) was all but empty except those huge flats, I asked a fella that was fronting shelves when he would be stocking eggs(I don't need any have plenty of layers) he said they weren't getting another shipment until the end of the month besides the organic brands as he was saying this a gal changed the price tag on the "organic" cage laid eggs to 4.39 for a dozen??  I suppose it could be attributed to "storm" panic but I don't think so I mean unless a buncha people just moved here and are startled by a bit of snow..

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
Stopped in a Walmart on Thursday and a Meijer on Sunday (regional store, like walmart but not as massive or as evil).  Both stores had almost no selection when it came to meat or fresh produce.
My local grocery store (Kroger) had a bit more variety of fruits and veg, but the actual amount of stock was really small.  Like they have oranges and maybe 4 or 5 kinds of apples, but there's only a couple dozen oranges in the bin and maybe 20 or so of each kind of apple.  It's been this way for a few weeks now, I had put it down to the time of day I was shopping, but I've been there at various times in the last week or two and they still didn't seem to have any stock.  Not to mention the potatoes (which just aren't good quality at all).
I looked for a whole chicken last week and they had 3 to choose from.  That's it...just 3.  And 2 of the packages had holes.
They still have loads of canned goods and processed stuff, but anything that's got a shorter shelf life seems to be dwindling in supply and selection.
The more high-end grocery store up the road (giant eagle) does have a little bit better selection of fruit & veg and meat, but it's a bit pricey to shop at on a regular basis.  It's where I go to stock up on meat when they have it on sale (usually buy one get one).
Before, our grocery bill was about $110 a week.  Now that we're stocking up and taking advantage of sales we've gotten it down to about $80 a week.

I dunno what's going on with the grocery stores around here.
I have noticed that it seems to be worse at the stores like walmart that also sell "other stuff" like clothes and housewares than it is at the stores that are primarily groceries only.
I'm hope it's a trend that will reverse itself, but I'm not optimistic about it.

"The people have no fruit and veg?  Let them eat Twinkies!"

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Ok so I have now noticed something new in our local stores.  Well more about me and my reactions. 

When I first started this thread I could say I almost felt a panic not quite but I was sure wondering what the heck was going on.  It was also surprising to me that hubby didn't really notice any thing.  I don't shop near as often as I use to so it is harder to track.  (Love having my own stash)  What I notice now is that I no longer notice the changes like I did.  I am not as shocked.

Empty shelves here and there that's normal.  Smaller selections oh that's normal.  Apples are so expensive crazy I won't even buy them ( I live in the apple state WA) Smaller containers goes by without hardly a blink.  Higher prices well it figures.  Now that is the scariest thing. 

This can go on and it's no longer shocking and we even come to accept it as normal.   Bit by bit this "thing" is hitting us just chipping away so small that it can easily be  looked over.  Even heard on the news that food prices only raised 12%.  Yes ONLY.  Apparently they can not do simple math.  12% of $2000 is $240 or $2880 per yr.  They call that ONLY.  In what universe is $2880 not that much money.  I am sure they did not take into account the smaller containers. Paying more and getting less.

It was just a few years ago if I went over $100 on groceries it was oh crap then it was when you went over $200 now it's a sigh of relief to get out of the store for under $300.  I can't even imagine how bad it would be for large families.   

I hate to see how bad this will really get.  And I really really hate to see how I can come to see this as normal.  Glad I am prepping Glad I am stepping up my own food production

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
Other than the last 7 years of steady price increases, nothing has really changed where I shop (SW Ohio).  The Kroger I go to has plenty of fruits, veggies, and meats.  Some fruits and veggies run out from time to time, but considering how seasonal it is, that is to be expected.  Shipping most of our stuff from South America this time of year raises the prices and lowers the quality, but it happens every year.  Can't find good green beans, but won't have that problem next year since I am planning a bumper crop.

Every few weeks I notice another product I buy gets a 15/20/25% increase, then goes on sale for 10% less.  It doesn't suprise me anymore, and it doesn't effect me as much anymore, especially since I have been copy canning, coupon clipping, etc.  Just about everything I buy has gone through one or more of those cycles, so that the total overall cost of shopping has gone up.  It is just going up at a constant rate, so most people don't notice it.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
I looked for a whole chicken last week and they had 3 to choose from.
IMO: As the years go by I'm seeing fewer whole chickens in the meat dept. I believe there are several reasons for this.  Most people: 1. don't know how to cut up a whole chicken (which is usually cheaper per lb), 2. don't want to do the butchering, 3. grab the boneless/skinless quick cooking parts, 4. don't know how to cook a whole chicken, ...

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
IMO: As the years go by I'm seeing fewer whole chickens in the meat dept. I believe there are several reasons for this.  Most people: 1. don't know how to cut up a whole chicken (which is usually cheaper per lb), 2. don't want to do the butchering, 3. grab the boneless/skinless quick cooking parts, 4. don't know how to cook a whole chicken, ...

I totally agree.  Before me, my sweetie only bought the boneless skinless ready to cook "chicken fingers"

Do chickens have fingers?  ::)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
Do chickens have fingers?  ::)
Maybe, they've got lips.  ;)

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Maybe, they've got lips.  ;)
Isn't that what Chicken McNuggets are made of?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

Isn't that what Chicken McNuggets are made of?

Only partially.  I hear tell it's mostly leftover beaks, clucks, and chickglue. 

Mmmm... Great for dipping in artificially flavored high fructose corn syrup, AKA Mc BBQ sauce.

~TG

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »
Yeah went to the super wally world tonight. Pretty depressing. Most of the stuff I like is disappearing. Even there own brand of soda's was reduce to a meesly 5ft shelf space. Used to buy bread mix to make fresh bread. Thats gone. My favorite Banquet spicey chicken wings are no longer carried, and the space has been replaced with wal-marts crappy brand Great Value. :o

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
Yeah went to the super wally world tonight. Pretty depressing. Most of the stuff I like is disappearing. Even there own brand of soda's was reduce to a meesly 5ft shelf space. Used to buy bread mix to make fresh bread. Thats gone. My favorite Banquet spicey chicken wings are no longer carried, and the space has been replaced with wal-marts crappy brand Great Value. :o

Great Value, terrible product.  Too many of the large chain -Marts are sacrificing quality for savings.  Most people buy into it.  They don't realize that value isn't always related to price.