Author Topic: Wild Turkey ?  (Read 5703 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Wild Turkey ?
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »

Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?

I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
The indians called this the crazy moon - in the fall the birds eat fermented berries that have alcohol in them and fly into things.

millerized1

Re: Wild Turkey ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »

Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?
Little bit.  We've gotten used to farm raised, highly medicated birds.  Wild, to me they taste very little like store bought. My personal opinion: store bought: buttery, smooth, kinda mealy.  Wild: bit gamey, bit wild taste, but a hell of a lot better.

I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
The indians called this the crazy moon - in the fall the birds eat fermented berries that have alcohol in them and fly into things.
On major reason I don't drink wild turkey ;)

kaiservontexas

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »
I love game turkey. I think it taste better. I was raised on it though because it was not until after my grandpa died that we ate store bought. He always went turkey hunting. I say if you can hunt them go for it. Besides if the population is really getting out of control you are helping instead of hurting the environment.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »

I suppose it can taste gamey, their diet can have some influence on how the meat tastes.  The age of the bird is also a factor, older & larger birds can taste more wild, while the younger or smaller birds might tend toward a milder taste. 

Most state's have an archery season for wild turkey.  We have a spring and a fall season in Missouri.  Check with your state game agency.

I've heard grouse is good.  I've not had the opportunity yet to try any.  I'd love to hunt them with my longbow.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
Wild Turkey is leaner then farm raised but not gamey, if you fed it to the unknowing they would never know.

Grouse are awesome and I miss hunting them as we don't have them in the south.  They are a lot of work for a small reward, I averaged about 3 miles per grouse bagged and I am a pretty good shot.  ;)

What I also miss is the thing you mention about fermented berries.  They ate fermented fox grapes in PA and when I would be hunting deer in bow season you would hear the males "drumming" which sounds really cool.  The thing is they only are supposed to drum in Spring during breeding season, they get drunk on fox grapes and think it is spring,  ::) poor horny little buggers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:54:16 PM by ModernSurvival »

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »
For those that have never heard a grouse drum

http://www.all-birds.com/Sound/ruffed-grouse-drum.wav

In the woods it sounds "deeper" with more base to it.

SwampMonster

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
I really enjoy wild turkey. Ours eat on Chufa most all there lives so the meat is oh so sweet. To bad the season is a few mts still togo. However bow season for deer comes in next weekend, and quail is in now.  As soon as we can get a first frost wild pig and squirrel are on the menu.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
I have been researching hunting laws and the like up here in NC. So far as I understand you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. There are several kinds of game that wander through my mom's land. Quail, turkey, deer, doves... I am wanting to learn how to hunt from someone, and in the meantime I have been learning online how to clean various animals. Mostly birds right now. Though some turkey might end up on the menu if I can figure out how to clean them.

SwampMonster

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
I have been researching hunting laws and the like up here in NC. So far as I understand you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. There are several kinds of game that wander through my mom's land. Quail, turkey, deer, doves... I am wanting to learn how to hunt from someone, and in the meantime I have been learning online how to clean various animals. Mostly birds right now. Though some turkey might end up on the menu if I can figure out how to clean them.

Just clean them like a big chicken, its not messy but the feathers go everywhere. you might need to ask a conservation officer about needing a licence. Dove might be an exception since they are truly considered a migratory bird like waterfowl and have federal regulations regarding them.

As for cleaning large birds all clean the same, as do large game, deer, pig ect. There are tricks. I use a breaster on the preserve and can clean dove and quail in less than 45sec, a Pheasant takes a little bit longer. I have never kept time of me cleaning a deer, I just take my time and have a few drinks and enjoy the blood and guts.

Swamp

dragonart

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »

Hi, it is absolutely not gamey and there is a good amount of white / breast meat.  It has a sweeter flavor than domesticated turkey and a slightly different texture.  Because it is so low in fat, you would need to marinate or baste/cover it with some kind of fat before cooking, and cook at a lower, slower temperature. 

With cleaning...there are two ways.  You can either remove the skin and feathers all in one shot and just remove the turkey breast, or you can gut the bird, pull out the larger wing feathers, and then dip the cleaned carcass in nearly boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, then ice cold water for a minute...the feathers will mostly come right out.

SeventhSon

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
So far as I understand you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. There are several kinds of game that wander through my mom's land. Quail, turkey, deer, doves... I
Be careful shooting doves without the proper stamp. They are a migratory bird and that is Federally Regulated. If memory serves (I don't hunt doves so I am not really "up" on the subject) you also can only shoot them with a scatter gun that holds no more than three shells.

Wild Turkey is EXCELLENT! I like to deep fry them after a good cajun marinade injection. YUM! You get a lot more bang for your buck (so to speak) over the store bought butterballs because those things are just pumped full of H20. Wild Turkeys are real food much more muscular and much better for your body.