Author Topic: My Brand New Berkey is leaking  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
My Brand New Berkey is leaking
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
We just received our Berkey and assembled it yesterday.  It was well-packed and shipped in a timely fashion. 
However, the unit is leaking where the spigot meets the tank. We found the assembly directions a bit unclear. There was a white washer and a black one.  We put the white one on the inside and the black one on the outside.  Should these be switched?
Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed.  That's why you need extras.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: My Brand New Berkey is leaking
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »
Mine came with white washers...not sure if there's a reason.  Did you put the washers on with the tapered sides towards each other?  Also, do check the hole for cracks radiating outward.  Berkey doesn't build up the thickness in that area (at least not on mine) and it will crack.  Even a hairline crack, barely noticeable, will leak.

Good luck.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
I had the same problem when I got mine.  They sent a new spigot and fixed the problem -- bad threads on the spigot and nut wouldn't tighten enough to make a seal.

My white washers went for the plugs for the two holes not occupied by the filters.

Everything has been fine since the replacement; which is close to a year now.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
We just received our Berkey and assembled it yesterday.  It was well-packed and shipped in a timely fashion. 
However, the unit is leaking where the spigot meets the tank. We found the assembly directions a bit unclear. There was a white washer and a black one.  We put the white one on the inside and the black one on the outside.  Should these be switched?

I apologize, as this should not be happening meaning the leaking, please call us at 877-886-3653, and we will help with warranty.

You may want to try removing the spigot and putting it back on, but all in all, it should not leak.

theberkeyguy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks everyone. We will try switching the washers out first.
The white washer was tapered and the black one wasn't.  Maybe I have the white washer facing the wrong direction.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
wanted to pop back in and post that the problem seems to be fixed.  Any water on the floor now is because my kids don't always shut it off before their cups overflow.

Oh, and the water tastes great.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »
Great to hear :)  Please let me know if you have any problems in the future.

theberkeyguy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline KaBar

• Prepper
  • USMC
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »
I had the same problem. The directions left a lot to be desired. I ended up buying another black washer (garden hose washer) and it has stopped leaking. The tried the white tapered washer both ways with no luck.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
I had a similar problem, leaks at the tank connection and leaks through the spigot.  Drove me crazy for the first couple of days.  Checked the directions of the washers, etc., no dice.  Lightly greased the washers with olive oil, poured a little olive oil through the spigot (rinsed it in the sink before re-installing), tightened down the spigot cap (it was a little loose), re-assembled all, and the leaks stopped.

Why olive oil?  It's food-grade WD-40! ;)
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline gringogigante

• Prepper
  • Firearms & CHL instructor
    • MetroplexCHL
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

I had the same problem and just cranked it on there by hand until I couldn't get it any tighter.  It doesn't leak anymore.  One way to help do this is by holding the little nut (the piece on the inside) with a dry napkin so you can get a really good grip. Then tighten that down pretty good with the open end of the spigot facing the 3 o'clock position. Once the inside nut is hand tightened, I then turned the spigot until it was down to the obviously needed 6 o'clock position. It is really tight now.
Thanks!

Chris McCollum
concealed handgun Plano
concealed handgun Dallas
Dallas CHL Forum
metroplexchl@gmail.com
www.metroplexchl.com

Offline cmiles711

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »
I am having the same problem...it came with a black washer that I put on the outside and a tapered white washer on the inside.  I can not tell from the directions which way the taper should be facing.  I have the tapered part facing the inside of the berkey...not towards the berkey wall.  Is this wrong.  We were so excited to get the Berkey today and want it to work out for us.  Please help!

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
Just turn it around...it should be installed with the taper facing the wall.

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
I had a similar problem, leaks at the tank connection and leaks through the spigot.  Drove me crazy for the first couple of days.  Checked the directions of the washers, etc., no dice.  Lightly greased the washers with olive oil, poured a little olive oil through the spigot (rinsed it in the sink before re-installing), tightened down the spigot cap (it was a little loose), re-assembled all, and the leaks stopped.

Why olive oil?  It's food-grade WD-40! ;)

Mine leaked too. Olive oil let the o-rings seat properly and I made sure this time not to overtighten. I'm bad about that with plumbing. Seems to be fine now. Ya!
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline bobandjudy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
I had the same problem....tried EVERYTHING I could think of....put the rubber washers every way I could, had different levels of pressure on the "nut" inside the unit to tighten the spigot, etc. Called the customer care people....she said to just screw the nut on a little ways AND DO ALL THE "TURNING" WITH THE FRONT SPIGOT. Eventually the spigot will be tight IN THE UPSIDE DOWN POSITION. NOW SLOWLY MAKE THE LAST HALF TURN TO TIGHTEN THE SPIGOT IN THE CORRECT POSITION. The leaking stopped immediately. Enough said!!

Yes the white washer goes on the inside with the slanted side facing the hole.