Author Topic: Born again Deer Hunter... Needs bullet weight Advice...  (Read 3985 times)

Offline bettertohaveit

• Prepper
    • Better To Have It
Born again Deer Hunter... Needs bullet weight Advice...
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
All, So I haven't deer hunted for 18 years and I've told myself that this year is THE year to get back out there.  I picked up a Browning A-Bolt in .308 Win.  Great rifle BTW...

Anyway, I'm wanting to start loading up some hunting rounds for the up coming season but am not sure which weight to go with.  In Eastern Washington, I don't think I'll need to make a shot futher out than about 300 yards and I'll be shooting at White Tail and/or Mule Deer.  I think I've got it down to between 150gr - 168gr.  Can someone give me advice on which direction to go...?

Thanks~

endurance

Re: Born again Deer Hunter... Needs bullet weight Advice...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
Welcome back to the pack.  I had a similar hiatus between 1998-2008 from hunting myself. 

Either is fine and it won't make much of a difference either way as long as you practice with what you go hunting with.  Personally, I like the Federal Vital-shok Nozler Partition rounds.  In .270 they come in 150gr, so that's what I buy all my practice ammo in.  In .308 you have plenty of gun to get the job done, so bullet selection isn't going to change the world either way.  If you were using a .243, my advice might be different, but you also wouldn't be taking a 300 yard shot. 

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »

In a modern, well constructed bullet you can't go wrong with either one.  I'd probably go with the 150's.  They're probably a little cheaper and will give slightly less recoil.  You might try a couple of different brands and see if your gun prefers one over the other.  Personally I'd avoid the "super premium" bullets.  They may be "tougher" but they're usually twice the price and as far as I can tell they don't kill any better, at least on deer. 

Offline bettertohaveit

• Prepper
    • Better To Have It
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
Thanks to you both.

I think I'll opt to load up three or four batches of five rounds each with different weight bullets and loads behind them. Start lite and work up from there. That way I'll have six to eight groups to determine the best groups between.  If a 150 grain can drop a deer (with good shot placement) just as good as a 168 grain then I'll just spend some time figuring out which bullet/powder mix my rifle likes best.  Every barrel is different after all...

BTW- My Browning came with the "BOSS" system and I've never played with one before.  Anyone know anything about it...? 

Offline burbot

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
Welcome back!  I love the A-bolt.  I have a 30-06 and .325 WSM.  My deer load is 165 gr. from my 30-06.  I typically hunt areas where the 100 yd shot or less presents itself.  Match your load to your anticipated hunting situation.  Open field, longer shots use a bullet with less drop.   Heavy woods, shorter shots you can go with a heavier bullet for more knockdown power if you wish.  No matter what you choose practice and understand what your shot does at different ranges, then select a bullet/load and stick with it.  Do not change brands between practice and hunting even if they are the same grain, you'd be surprised at the results you get.  Good luck!

endurance

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
Oh, one other thing that I just thought about.  Really don't get wrapped up in 1/4" grouping differences.  If your gun is shooting a sub-1" group at 100 yards, unless you carry a benchrest off into the woods, you're good to go.  I remember my first doe I took down after my hiatus.  My breathing was so hard that I was moving 18" up and down her before I pulled the trigger.  In the real world, a 2" group is good enough for hunting.   It's rare I'll ever hold a 6" group in the field when the pressure is on... and that's plenty good enough.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Just harvested my first ever big game a few days ago. A 200+ pound Mule Deer with .243 Winchester Remington 100 grain soft point at 200 yards it jumped and dropped to its side and did not take a step.

I was unsuccessful finding Elk that day, but for a first time deer hunter this was a memorable experience can't wait to feed the family when I pick up the meat from the game process guy.

endurance

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
Just harvested my first ever big game a few days ago. A 200+ pound Mule Deer with .243 Winchester Remington 100 grain soft point at 200 yards it jumped and dropped to its side and did not take a step.

I was unsuccessful finding Elk that day, but for a first time deer hunter this was a memorable experience can't wait to feed the family when I pick up the meat from the game process guy.
Congrats!  I just took my first animal after well over a decade of trying in 2009.  I agree, it's quite an experience.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
either bullet will kill a deer, the question is what does the gun like, which brings up the question of what twist rate is your barrel, then you get in to more twist for heavier rounds or more twist for the "longer" bullet would actually be more correct.
and you dont want to much twist with a lighter = shorter bullet either.
  this addresses accuracy more than stopping power as I feel either round has enough power to take the largest deer.

i'd shoot some groups with different weight rounds, and use what ever provides the best groups,,,   and pay SUPER close attention to the first "COLD BORE" shot
as this what you will be firing at a deer, Cold bore, I've seen them off by as much as an inch and half at 50 yards.  for zeroing for deer hunting I would use nothing but cold bore shots when zeroing if your gun is off much with a cold bore, takes longer, but is worth it.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
I think I'll opt to load up three or four batches of five rounds each with different weight bullets and loads behind them. Start lite and work up from there. That way I'll have six to eight groups to determine the best groups between.  If a 150 grain can drop a deer (with good shot placement) just as good as a 168 grain then I'll just spend some time figuring out which bullet/powder mix my rifle likes best.  Every barrel is different after all...

Good viewpoint.  A .22LR will drop a deer as fast as any other round out there; it's all in shot placement.  Working up a solid load is your best strategy for a successful hunt, because it's all about the POI being where it's supposed to be.