Author Topic: Putting Meat on the Table.  (Read 16610 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Putting Meat on the Table.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
Friend and me did some hunting in a new area, didn't see much but still a good time.

managed to get my first handgun kill! Upward angle offhand shot with cci blazer on the centerline

Friends kill, nice shot.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
My dogs have kept the squirrel population at 0.  I do have tons of rabbits though.... go figure.  Question I have for you squirrel and rabbit hunters, is there a special way to prepare the meat in case of any sorts of disease... or is there something in particular that you need to look for?  I've been considering taking some of the wild rabbits here, but am concerned about things like rabies. 

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 07:22:13 AM »
Rabies in rabbits isn't a problem, but you don't want to handle a sick or found dead rabbit due to the risk of tularemia. I haven't heard of any risk from eating rabbit meat, just handling a sick one, and that risk is very, very, very small.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:57 AM »
For all you handgunners, what kind of 22 ammo are you using to harvest these critters?  I have a single six that I plan on carrying with me into the woods on an upcoming backpacking trip.  Hunting is not the primary purpose of the trip so that is why the revolver is coming along.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
My dogs have kept the squirrel population at 0.  I do have tons of rabbits though.... go figure.  Question I have for you squirrel and rabbit hunters, is there a special way to prepare the meat in case of any sorts of disease... or is there something in particular that you need to look for?  I've been considering taking some of the wild rabbits here, but am concerned about things like rabies.
If I see the rabbit sitting, I like to kick them up and see them run before shooting them.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
For all you handgunners, what kind of 22 ammo are you using to harvest these critters?  I have a single six that I plan on carrying with me into the woods on an upcoming backpacking trip.  Hunting is not the primary purpose of the trip so that is why the revolver is coming along.

Hi Nate, I use cci cb shorts (solid points) for a lot of killing.

Friend used cci mini mag HP on that chipmunk and one side of his ribs was gone.

If ya place it right I've never had a problem with solid points.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
that's some great shooting, and some fine meals there. My dog chases them around here and has killed a few for us. She just kills them and then that's it. She usually come and get's me to show me the kill... ;D Cooked one up for her one day and another time I saved it for myself.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
Sweet! I wish I had a dog like that!

Took the airgun out after work. Managed to stalk a foraging fox squirrel , get 20 yards away and put one in the kill zone. I then moved into a thick field/brambles. Seeing a rabbit run I started to move down that. Sure enough, kicked up a rabbit who took off right down the run. Put a pellet right to the back of the skull. Re pumped the airgun, put a new pointed pellet in the pipe, and moved on. Heard a squirrel eating so I decided to stalk towards that area. Sure enough, I moved up right behind a red squirrel and got him to. Vest wasn't full, but I had a pretty good time for a quick hunt!

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Quick hunt before bed, stalked in on the "highways" downed logs to an area with good structure. Not long and I saw a rabbit, one quiet shot put him in the vest.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
Scottman, 

I am impressed!  I had no idea those variable pump guns could take small game.  Are you using .177 caliber pointed pellets? What is the feet per second on yours?  I might have to dust off my daisy eagle variable pump and give it a try!

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
725 fps with pellets they say. Yep, crosman pointed pellets. Hunting is really iffy, got to place it exactly right. I like those cb shorts.

Today I made a 50 yard offhand shot on a black phase with my ruger charger  Good time, but too windy!