Author Topic: coleman 533 stove  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
coleman 533 stove
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
Was looking at getting one of these. Wondering how long it burns on one tank of white gas? How long on unleaded? Seems to be a decent stove for a preparation, camping and black out tool.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: coleman 533 stove
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
Never actually pushed it to empty, but I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57:51 AM »
I've never timed how long the stove will operate with either fuel source, so I can't help you there.

I can say that these stoves are excellent and will operate for years and years if properly maintained and are worth their weight in gold when the power goes out and you can't use your home stove.

Also, you can turn the Coleman Dual Fuel Camp Stoves into a Tri-Fuel stove with the addition of a Century Propane Stove Regulated Converter. At $20 it's a good bit of kit to have as a backup that gives you the flexibility to use propane with the stove.

A video showing how the propane adapter works

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
I used to have one of the 533's, it was great... a little heavy for backpacking but again built to last. One of the few little stoves that's good at simmering and cooking eggs with a low heat. Mine got stolen from my truck a few years back, I still haven't replaced it. I had another backup stove and that's all i've used since then.

I was looking at the new Coleman Exponent (replaces the 442); the older lightweight 442 has been discontinued but Amazon still has them.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W95V0AJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Any ballpark ideas on fuel use and burn length? 15 minutes? 30? more? I am used to the big 2 burner model (older camp stove) and just wonder about the efficiency.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
If I remember right if you use the White gas on high I would get around 34-45mins of burn time on low it would last well over a couple of hours.

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Thanks. Appreciate it. Just needed a guess as to where it fit in my perusal. If t were too short a run time then it is definitely a no go. 30-45 minutes should be two pans or canteen cups worth of about anything.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »
We were cleaning out the Boy Scout shed after our last camping trip last weekend, and were getting rid of a bunch of old cardboard and paper work that had been stacked in the back.  Moved the stuff and discovered two brand new, in the box Coleman 442's. 

Can't wait to try them out. 

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
We were cleaning out the Boy Scout shed after our last camping trip last weekend, and were getting rid of a bunch of old cardboard and paper work that had been stacked in the back.  Moved the stuff and discovered two brand new, in the box Coleman 442's. 

Can't wait to try them out.

Nice!