Author Topic: Ooma Telo - Home pdone service...?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline bettertohaveit

• Prepper
    • Better To Have It
Ooma Telo - Home pdone service...?
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
All, I'm interested in the Ooma Telo that a listener email in about on Jack's episode 679.  Does anyone have this service?  I'm wanting to know the good, bad and oh yes the ugly about it as I'd love to ditch my $30/mo home phone service as it's rarely used...  The issue is that we don't get a good cell service at the home.  Thanks~

Offline abooth1221

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Ooma Telo - Home pdone service...?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
Hello,

I do apologize as I am fairly new to the boards/site and did not listen to the episode you mentioned.  However, I purchased an Ooma Core system on Amazon last year (I paid a little extra at the time b/c I never want to pay anything again, including taxes, but I paid a lot less than what they are currently selling for).  Prior to Ooma, I had Vonage, and I was tired of poor customer service and small tax/fee increases in my bill (I would often call in to threaten to cancel so that I could stay on a cheaper plan, but I would have to watch my bill constantly, and had a lot of trouble getting credited when I referred other people).  I used Vonage to call my mom and my grandma daily, which is what I use Ooma for now.  Overall, I would say that Ooma is comparable to Vonage in terms of VOIP quality; both my Vonage box and the Ooma Core are upstream of my router (which just means that they get priority over my computers for bandwidth).  I did have to spend a couple of days after getting Ooma to adjust a setting in terms of the bandwidth so that everything balanced out, but overall I am very satisfied.  I would say about once a month I will be talking to my mom or grama and the connection will be crappy and I have to call them back, but I talk to both of them almost every day. 

I did purchase the Premier service for a year to save the fees on porting the number, and to obtain call forwarding (this is great for my job, as I used to forward my number automatically to my cell when I was with Vonage, and wanted to continue to do this).  Call forwarding with Ooma, at least in my case, has left a lot to be desired (basically, it doesn't work consistently).  To get around this in the future, I may purchase the Ooma Mobile app for $10 if I ever break down and get an iPod Touch.

If you are not currently using a VOIP system, I would recommend making sure everything works out well before canceling a landline.  My experience with VOIP has been that it is very dependent on the quality of your ISP - when I had DSL, for example, the Vonage quality was not-so-great, but overall my internet service sucked too.  I am currently on a cable line and everything is smooth. 

I hope this helps!  For me, I wanted to be able to talk to my relatives for unlimited amounts of time, and this certainly fits the bill.  Because my husband and I drive older vehicles, we both have pay-as-you-go cell phones for emergencies, so our total phone bill for this year will be $160.  I can handle that!  Amy