Author Topic: backpacking and sleeping bag help for first timer  (Read 4661 times)

Offline survivNca

• Prepper
backpacking and sleeping bag help for first timer
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
I am going backpacking for the first time and am taking my 10 month old so i am looking for a tent under and around $200. I am a bigger guy so i would like a 4 person tent. Anybody ever use a kelty tent?And a sleeping bag that is barrel shaped that rolls up nice. Thanks for the help.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Re: backpacking and sleeping bag help for first timer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
Kelty Tents are great!  They are very well priced and hold up well.  Look for a Teton 4.  It will be a massive tent for you and your 10month old. 

Sleeping bags are hard to find for us big guys!  My problem is shoulder girth.  I finally found a North Face Bighorn long.  The long gave me a few extra inches at the shoulder.

You may want to look at a rectangle bag.  There are some lightweight synthetic bags that are cheap if you look around.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
Though I haven't had a Kelty Tent in about 7 years or so, my previous experience would lead me to tell you that it's a pretty solid brand unless they've changed a whole lot over the last couple of years. Unlike the cheaper brands, they usually come with a full, easily removed rainfly. You shouldn't have a problem finding a Kelty 4 person tent for $200 or less if you shop around, especially on last year's closeouts.

Regarding a sleeping bag, what kind you buy is going to depend on your needs. I'd assume that since you will be camping with a 10 month old that you're not going to be cold weather camping. Most of the time during the Spring and Summer seasons I sleep on top of my bag or use the Patrol Bag from my Modular Sleep System. This is a one person mummy type bag though. I don't know what you would want to use for you and your child. I've never camped with anyone so young before. I have a friend who uses a Coleman "Big and Tall" sleeping bag during the summer and likes it well enough. Something like that might work.

With that being said, you might do well with a couple of simple wool blankets in combination with a sleeping pad. I've gone that route more than once in the Spring and Summer with no problem.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »
Nicodemus reminded me of something.  In the summer months I use a coleman fleece sleeping bag.  This will get me toasty well into the 50's.  It is a rectangle bag and is just right.  I am 6'1.

For fall and winter I take a 20 degree bag.  This paired with the fleece bag has got me warm into single digits.

Offline survivNca

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Thank you so much for all the wonderful info. Its nice to gain wisdom from people who have been there.Sorry not enough details. The temp will be about 50-55 at night.  I ended up purchasing the kelty saida 4 because i like the full rain fly and it was $159 bucks so it seemed reasonable. the sleeping back i have not tackled yet, for some reason trying to find a sleeping bag online seems like a crap shoot. But i am EXCITED about my tent.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
Try REI outlet online and look for a long bag, I got a nice $300 bag last summer for $70. I'm 6-2 and require a long one...shoulder space sucks on most bags unless you get a cheapie like a coleman that has a square opening, I like to be free so most of the time I open them up and use like a blanket anyway unless it's really cold...sleeping pad is a must have though...

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »
Unless you have tried out a sleeping bag model in a store, avoid buying this item online.  Seriously...  You want to be able to crawl inside it, zip it up, and wiggle around.  You also want to see how it compresses.  Since your backpacking buddy wont be carrying part of the load you really want to take into consideration that you will be carrying EVERYTHING.  Invest in a compression sack for your sleeping bag.  This is like a stuff sack that has "caps" on the ends that you cinch down with buckles to compress the sleeping bag more than your normally could.  They are awesome!  These things are hard to do when you buy a sleeping bag online.  Measurements listed in a product description are one thing.  Crawling into the sleeping bag and compressing it are another.  This is the same reason why I don't buy shoes online.

Now, if you find a bag you like in a store, wait a few days and look for it online.  You might be able to find it cheaper and NO SALES TAX!!! 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.  I am by no means a backpacking expert, but I do have quite a few miles on my boots!  Enjoy your hike!

Offline survivNca

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »
thanks again Nate that is some great knowledge. Its kinda funny, when it comes to backpacking everything i see that looks funny or gimmicky has a pretty important place and purpose in your BP arsenal.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
Kelty Tents are great!  They are very well priced and hold up well.  Look for a Teton 4.  It will be a massive tent for you and your 10month old. 

Sleeping bags are hard to find for us big guys!  My problem is shoulder girth.  I finally found a North Face Bighorn long.  The long gave me a few extra inches at the shoulder.

You may want to look at a rectangle bag.  There are some lightweight synthetic bags that are cheap if you look around.

I'm a big guy too, 220lbs
Sleeping bag: Big Agnes http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag The advantage is the pocket that runs the full length of the bottom of the bag to slip your (air) mattress in. If you are on uneven ground the bag can't slip off the bag since the two are married into one system. I like a rectangular footing too.  I use the insulated air core http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore. If I don't want the insulation I slip the pad in upside down.

My tent is a seedhouse 2 by Big Agnesse http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Tent/filters/61 about 4 1/2 pounds.

My backpack is a Gregory Palisade
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gregory+backpacks&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17844380378587143766&sa=X&ei=1MQMTrW8HYWcgQelprTkDQ&ved=0CGEQ8gIwAw

My sleeping bag, air pad, and pillow all stuffed into the bottom pouch of the backpack. Tent, food, cloths, water filtration went inside the backpack. Rain cloths, medical bag, Things I wanted to get to quickly went into the top pouch which also doubles as a fanny pack.

And I use carbon poles